1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SI] Yao Ming is POTENTIALLY the league's best center

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dback816, Apr 20, 2007.

1. dback816

dback816 Member

what the hell? potentially? am i overreacting? :confused:

Written by Ian Thomsen

Whole article link:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/ian_thomsen/04/19/five.minute.guide/index.html

2. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

maybe they just mean b/c he's been injured a lot

dunno

3. demon77

demon77 Member

Yes.

Yao gotta prove himself in the playoff. (same for T-mac)

4. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

potentially....potentially give me a fU*king break.

Yao has been the best center unquestionably the last 2 1/2 years. No other center in the league is more complete than he is. He never gets in respect...if you look at all those so-called bull$hit analyst over at ESPN, whenever they do a best center poll, they'll quickly say it is Tim Duncan, because he is really PF playing center or they'll say Amare or Dwight Howard for what they could do in a few years, but in reality he is the best center in the league.

They all know it, but why are they so afraid to give him that title?

5. demon77

demon77 Member

He have to prove that in the playoff......

6. Jacquescas

Jacquescas Contributing Member

until he does it in the playoffs its potential

7. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

The playoffs aren't here, mate.

8. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

exactly. right now shaq still steps up in the playoffs. amare has had great series'. if you count duncan as a center then he's obviously proven in the post season.

yao is by far the best regular season senter but how will he play when it really counts? we can only hope for 30-12-3 and a series win.

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Duncan is the best center in the game. He jumps center, he guards the opposing teams center, he's their interior defender/rebounder, etc. He's a center this year. Sorry.

10. robywang

robywang Member

man, have you guys watched the 04-05 first round playoff?
    he showed what he can do in playoffs two years ago!
    it's not his fault to lose because of tons of critical bad calls.
    well, if you argue that he was not THE BEST center at that time, I cannot say you are wrong, because TD/AS were also playing great at center position then.

11. robywang

robywang Member

which of those TD does is YM not doing exactly? Or is YM not doing as good as TD at any of those things this season?

12. durvasa

Better defender, better passer, better rebounder, more reliable in the fourth quarter. Yao is a better scorer.

In my book, right now its #1 Duncan, and #2 Yao.

13. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

Cuz he's black...wait...nevermind. Juuuust kidding. I think like others have said, he will probably get that title after this year's playoffs. Hopefully.

14. demon77

demon77 Member

yes......but he wasn't consistently dominant throughout that series. (and the fact that we were up 2-0, and then lost 3 straight really piss me off)

anyway, I do think most people would agree yao is the best true center. But not many gonna say it straight out in public until he get out of the first round and dominate the playoff.

same apply to T-mac.

15. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

1) TD is pf, not a center.

2) Shaq is not what he used to be?

3) For example, take Nowitzki and Duncan, both deep into playoff every year, because they has good teams. But are they really that much better than Kevin Garnett.

This shows you the other point with Yao vs. Amare, Amare had one great series against S.A., but his team lost, anyway and Phoenix's system allows them to score alot of points.

4) If everything is so center on the playoffs then why does Nash keep winning MVPs for helping a regular season team get to the playoffs only to not win a championship.

5) What other player in the league besides Kobe, do teams routinely throw double teams at or even triple team..................

Yao is the best center in the league.

16. robywang

robywang Member

"more reliable in 4th quarter", maybe. We'll see in playoff this year. I remember YM did good in 4th quarter in that 04-05 series.
    "better rebounder", I agree.
    "better passer", I don't think so. Just because TD has more assists doesn't mean he is a better passer. His teammates are better finishers.
    "better defender"? how do you come to that conclusion? TD might be better in defending center/pf one-on-one. But YM is much more intimidating in changing/altering shots inside the paint.

last but not least, YM scores 5 more points than TD this season.

17. lunaticrocket

lunaticrocket Rookie

I think he uses "potentially" just to make the sentence sound better.

18. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

he has to prove it in the playoffs. shaq has proven it, duncan has proven it, and amare has proven it.

19. durvasa

No, Duncan is a better passer. Flat out. He can pass off the dribble, and he sees the court better without getting the ball stripped. And I think Duncan is definitely a better defender as well. Yao is good because he's a roadblock in the paint, but Duncan is the pillar of the best defensive team of the 5 years. I think Duncan impacts just as many shots as Yao, and Yao can also be exploited in the pick and roll and in transition.

We agree that Yao has been a more potent scorer. But in the last 5 minutes of a game, when the defensive pressure really turns up, I'd be more confident going to Duncan than Yao. A big part of that is just getting the ball to them. Duncan is better at sealing his man, and he has much better hands for catching the entry pass. And I think Duncan handles double teams better as well.

This really isn't a fair comparison for Yao. I think Duncan is one of the 15 best players of all time.

20. Docsdock

Docsdock Member

You win the Ring. You get the respect. Period. Just ask Barkley.