1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SI] Why aren't the Rockets being taken more seriously as a contender?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by zeeshan2, Oct 14, 2015.

1. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

He's right. The only reason the Rockets are more scrutinized is because they're the team that everybody wants to fail. People would be just fine with the Warriors/Clippers/Lakers/Heat/Bulls/media darlings winning it all. The Rockets winning would be a disaster for the media.

2. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

Right!

If the Rockets had the same path to the championship as the Warriors, I'll bet money that the narrative coming from the national media would be all about how they "lucked" into a chip b/c all their opponents were missing key players.

I don't think I've heard anyone in media talk about that in regards to GSW (then again, I don't pay a lot of attention when they start talking about GS) :rolleyes:

I haven't always been this cynical, but I've been a Rockets fan for quite a while now

3. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

It's a fair question. The Rockets had one glaring need this offseason(a PG and 2nd playmaker) and they addressed it without giving up anything of value. Plus they added depth with Dekker, Harrell, and Thornton, lost only Josh Smith and Pablo Pepperoni, and got back D-Mo(we assume) and Bev from injury. In theory, one would think they'd at least be in the conversation for a return trip to the WCF.

And of course there are major question marks with this team. Can they stay healthy? Can Dwight maintain the same level of performance as he turns 30? Can Harden have another MVP-caliber season? Can Lawson keep it together off the floor? Will the Rockets miss Josh Smith?

But on the flipside, every other contender in the West has question marks of their own. Can the Spurs hold off Father Time for yet another season? Can Durant stay healthy for the Thunder and can their rookie coach transition to the NBA? Can the Grizzlies stay healthy and will the lack of 3-point shooting do them in again? Can the Clippers bench live up to expectations? Can the Warriors avoid any major injuries for a 2nd straight year and if not, how will they respond?

4. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

It's a combination of Houston usually losing, general Houston-hate, and Warriors making quick work of us.

They'll still find a way to ridicule/mock us.

"See, we told you they're just wannabes"
    "Nice little season for Houston, now let's get to the real teams"

Thunder were in the CFs 2 years ago.

5. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

cheke approves

6. OTMax

OTMax Member

I want to be the underdog, no complaints here

7. ThaShark316_28

If that's what you say, bruh.

8. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

ROFFL

9. Ranny

Ranny Member

I Agree with most of this and its true that we hardly ever get recognition, but to be fair in the last 20 years we have never actually been a real contender but only a couple of seasons, so its not like they have been lying all along.

With the team we have we do have a legitimate chance, and i think we are contenders now, but respect is earned. If this year we can at least make a repeat appearance in the WCF then we would have proven that last season wasn't a fluke and if we can keep the same core for yet another season then the media narrative would likely change for the better in our favor.

10. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

I love how people think the Clippers will be great purely off them finally assembling a good bench.

Rockets beat them in the western semi finals and they were missing 2 starters crucial for playing the Clippers' best players.

Now we have added an all-star point guard, brought back everyone except the bottom feeders on our bench and Josh Smith, pushed beverley (a starting point guard caliber player) to the bench with either Jones or DMO coming off with him. Consider the developments of McDaniels, Capela, and possibly one of our new guys and we have a stacked bench.

Beverley
    Jones
    Brewer
    McDaniels
    Capela

Like holy crap that team could beat the Orlando Magic, 76ers, or Celtics alone. If Beverley has taken steps to improve his shot, Jones can continue balling up on the lesser players, and Brewer out hussling everyone on the court then we could potentially see a 10 point swing during times when both benches are on the floor.

This year is the year. If Clippers are seen as dangerous then we should be considered lethal.

11. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

You guys don't give the Vegas oddsmakers computers enough credit. 54-55 wins is totally reasonable for our team.

12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

The last 20 years should not matter when discussing the upcoming year.

13. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

I agree. Clippers are ticking a time bomb waiting to happen...too many explosive personalities...something KRAZY and destructive bound to happen is my prediction. Got my popcorn handy

14. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Our superstar is a dud come intense playoff games and his 12 turnovers along with our 8-1 whooping by GSW leads media to believe we can't win it all

That plus we have the worst playoff coach so we are already handicapped

15. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

So which one is it?

1 person likes this.
  16. Mr Chuck Norris

Lmfaooooo

17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Harden had to carry the team for an entire season. No wonder he ran out of gas in the playoffs.

18. FTW Rockets FTW

Any other half decent coach with this roster and Rockets would be clear favorites for 65+ wins and a ring

If we don't achieve that next season, it really shows McHales incompetency

19. FTW Rockets FTW

I know that but te media doesn't and the media pretty much decides who are contenders

I'm just responding to the OP from a media and random casual NBA fan perspective

20. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I am running out of room for the ramblings of the village idiot in my sig.