1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SI] USA should of taken McGee, not Granger

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by daeyeth, Sep 3, 2010.

1. daeyeth

daeyeth Member

Article

2. Htown's2kFinest

i said they should've kept him. he's gonna have a breakout year

3. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

Should have*

4. roslolian

roslolian Member

You should have used "should have" instead of "should of".

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They just need to play him more...

6. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Granger needs minutes to get going. He needs the ball. I don't know if the team is going to extract all his value by playing him at PF. Not saying that what they're doing is wrong, it's just that he's not going to play well without being put in a situation where he can do well. IMO, he should be starting over Iggy. Granger's finishing isn't as strong, but he can defend just as well and his shooting is superior. Isn't that what they need against the zone, anyway?

7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

So many "all-stars" looked liked trash playing with superstars. Here's the sorry list.

1.Iggy
    2.rondo
    3.mcgee
    4.granger

8. daeyeth

daeyeth Member

That's interesting. At first, the thought that came to my mind is that would mean that a good point guard (ie. Collison) wouldn't work well with Granger but then I realized the caveat which is really important. "Put in a situation where he can do well". Team USA is obviously still just a pick up team where players are expected to wing it and it's tough to put Granger in a good situation without that chemistry, that teamwork.

Not saying that Rose, Billups, and Curry aren't good point guards but they're not going to put Granger into good situations playing on a team with complete strangers, to a team they're only committed to for months at a time. On the other hand, even though it's definitely gonna take time (or should anyways) Collison is definitely going to put Granger into good situations where he can shine, showing that his USA outings are the aberrations, not the norms.

9. VBG

VBG Member

Rondo looked like trash? Rondo was playing the best outta all the PGs IMO.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

You seriously need some glasses. Playing the best? Ain't no way.

Regarding the thread title, cutting McGee was the right thing to do. Every team has a 12th man. McGree would have been completely out of his league in Turkey and basically had no business being on the team. Kevin Love's play would have made him completely irrelevant. On the other hand, it's possible Team USA might need a spark from Granger in the elimination rounds if the bench plays like garbage again. From now on, Coach K cannot hesitate to make substitutions if players aren't performing. No more patience and understanding. When a player performs like garbage, Krzyzewski has to yank him out and put someone else in. I promise you Granger is going to get his chance and we'll see what happens.

1 person likes this.
  11. DaFranchise03

DaFranchise03 Member

Rondo might not have been the best but they could have used his defense.

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Ball-hawking and perimeter defense isn't their biggest problem. I'm not saying Rondo wouldn't have helped them some, but Team USA's main problems are on the offensive end, where a player like Rondo is a liability in this kind of environment. Perimeter defense is one area where Team USA can be given a satisfactory grade.

I think they need to experiment more with 3 guard lineups to ramp up ball-movement and team speed to another level. I like Chauncey Billups savvy in having figured out how to draw fouls at will, but if his 3-pointers keep clanging off iron, he needs to be benched in favor of Gordon.

13. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

maybe the lineup is stacked and he is not getting enough minutes at that position.

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

They made a mistake dumping Rondo. Rondo is one of the best distributors in the league and knows how to get the ball to people where they need them. He's also a great defender and put a lot a pressure on ball handlers especially with the international rules where you can hand check.

Coach K is an overrated coach. I wish they would get Rudy T to coach team USA but thats not going to happen.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Granger is not playing well because he's suffocating with all the dead donkeys around.

16. YaoZow

YaoZow Member

Rondo's problem on Team USA was the same problem he had in the Finals last year.

The man can't shoot, you don't have to guard him outside 10 feet.

Granger's a great player on a sorry team like the Pacers. But on a team like the Celtics, he'd be a bencher.

17. YaosDirtyStache

NONSENSE, seriously. Granger is a special talent.

18. YaoZow

YaoZow Member

Granger is a 1 way player. He's good on offense but sucks on Defense.

Danny "No D" Granger.

He's almost as bad as Al Jefferson.

19. YaosDirtyStache

I think you may be the first person I will add to the ignore you. There is NO WAY you are serious because he is a defensive stopper and you are a troll.

20. YaoZow

YaoZow Member

I'd enjoy being on your Ignore list. Thanks.

Lolz, you must be thinking about the younger, hard working Granger. Not no mo.

Lack of Defense Costing Danny Granger Playing Time?
    http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2010/09/lack-of-defense-costing-danny-granger-playing-time/

With the emphasis on defense in such a tight game, Danny Granger logged a DNP-CD along with Stephen Curry.

It's no secret that Granger's defense has regressed the past few years.
    His lack of defense has been in an even bigger spotlight this summer.
    http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsider/archives/2010/09/lack_of_defense.html