1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

SI: Spurs were open to offering Duncan for Oden

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Ditty, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Ditty

Ditty Member

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...den/index.html

One source close to the team said general manager Kevin Pritchard was swayed toward Oden not only because of the Blazers' needs but also because nearly every GM inquired about making a deal for the right to choose Oden, including San Antonio, which was said to be open to offering Tim Duncan. If rivals were considering trading cornerstone players for Oden, it's hard to blame Pritchard for making that choice.

2. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

andre miller
    brandon roy
    nic batum
    lamarcus aldridge
    tim duncan

bayless, fernandez, pryzbilla, webster, and they would probably still have blake and outlaw.

3. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

RC Buford: We offer Tim Duncan in exchange for #1 pick, Roy, and Aldridge.

Pritchard: LOLOLOLOL *hangs up phone*

Several years pass, Oden looks like a bust...

Pritchard: It was the right pick! San Antonio offered us Tim Duncan for Oden.

1 person likes this.
  4. Ditty

Ditty Member

this was right after the spurs won the championship back in 2007

5. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

probably what happened

i am sure its just a spin move to get the locals off his back as Durant is just lighting the entire league on fire right now. He has to justify this pick somehow

6. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

It had to have been something like that. You've got to match up salaries. Duncan has a max contract, probably making around 15 mil back then. That's a lot of salary you've got to match in order to make the deal work.

7. Rocket94-95

Rocket94-95 Member

I cannot belive that the spurs were willing to part with duncun just after winning the nba title

8. Ditty

Ditty Member

yah i agree but many believed that oden was going to be the next best dominant big man in the league at only 19 at that time the spurs knew they were getting old(duncan was 31) and believed that oden would have a impact his rookie season and would dominate for the next years to come and continue the dynasty at that time

spurs would have alot of salry cap also at that time and would have signed scola besides trading him if you imagine all these players living up to the hype

oden
    scola
    bowen(was still a shut down defender)
    ginobili(had a career season the year after the title)
    parker

and alot of salary cap to get good role players thats not bad

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

It all depends on what you can get for him, and knowing the Spurs they probably asked for something ridiculous (like LMA+Oden+Roy for TD). Honestly I don't know why they bother making such ripoff deals. I remember the Heat offering to trade Wade for Rose+Noah+Tyrus Thomas+Deng :rolleyes:

10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

pritch trying to salvage his rep imo.

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Can't blame the Blazers for making a pick that almost every other NBA team would have also made.

12. ABrooks0

ABrooks0 Member

Man what could have been......

13. Kerfeld

Kerfeld Contributing Member

There is no way the Spurs would have traded Duncan. No way. Look, in retrospect it is unfortunate the way Oden's career has unfolded so far. However, if you look at the composition of the Portland roster, they had to take the risk with the big man.

When you have the opportunity to take a franchise big man you have to do it. Oden was number 1 or 2 on EVERY team's draft board. This was not a stretch and they certainly were not foolish taking him. The Sam Bowie pick was stretch. Bowie's past was littered with injuries and there were definite flaws in his game. The same was not true for Oden. It is just unfortunate.

I think Pritchard is stretching it here. There is no way San Antonio trades Duncan under any circumstance. Duncan & Ginobili are untradeable for that city. For all that they have done, the city would never forgive them. The Spurs organization knows this as well.

14. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

It seems that Ginobili isnt going to re-sign with the Spurs, but Duncan isnt going to be traded, I think he will finish his career with San Antonio.

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

The problem here is every other team weren't privy to the Oden's medical records. Obviously in a vacuum if both players were 100% healthy you'd be an idiot to not take Oden, centers like him don't come often. However according to reports the Blazers already had records which showed Oden had some leg issues beforehand. They chose to ignore it to go chase some twin tower dream and now they're paying for it. All this is just PR from Pritchard because right now Durant's even better than Brandon Roy.

16. StacyMcGrady3

StacyMcGrady3 Rookie

I call BS on this report.

17. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

The report is probably true - the Spurs probably offered Duncan - but I'm pretty sure that the Spurs would've been looking to bring back at least Aldridge along with Oden (and future draft compensation?)

It's the spin which gets put on it which is unhelpful!