1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SI]Rockets, GM Morey still view Yao as 'essential part' of franchise

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by the_hustler, Dec 21, 2010.

1. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...yao.ming.rockets/index.html?eref=twitter_feed

2. worzel gummidge

If they want to take on a gamble, buy low with a non-max extension. It also takes out a no-trade clause option Yao could qualify for and want in free agency.

http://twitter.com/STEIN_LINE_HQ/status/17695080768

3. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Take away the covert language and it reads out like this. "Yao makes alot of money for the Rockets, if we can still make money with Yao on board as long as the man is alive he will be featured on our roster." "Heck if all was left was Yao's head in a fish bowl, he will be featured on our sidelines." "He makes us alot of money."

3 people like this.
  4. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

I think we can put the rebuilding argument to rest after reading what DM said

5. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

Win - Win situation for both sides right? what is so wrong about doing that? :)

6. worzel gummidge

It's one of the examples of a moneyball move which Morey has brought up before. Where a player's contract does not reflect his talent level due to age or injuries.

7. Don FakeFan

Don FakeFan Member

One thing is clear:
    Rockets profit on Yao.

8. jsonic6

jsonic6 Contributing Member

The Rox want Yao to remain a Rocket... Playing or not.

9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Translation:

"Since none of what I say will really bite me on the butt now, and since Mr Alexander (the guy who signs my checks) has big-time investments in China thanks to Yao, we will put more spin on this story than the tire on a Formula 1 car to ensure that nothing happens to screw up Mr Alexander's dough-re-mi, fa-so-la-ti-dough."

#9 ROXTXIA, Dec 21, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  10. Raven

Raven Member

Slam dunk.

11. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

There's no way Les will ever willingly let Yao play for another NBA team. They'll give him a decent offer and certainly match anything else he was offered. There's the money the organization makes from China, but I think Les also views Yao as a franchise icon. Not at a Hakeem level, but certainly the biggest franchise player since Dream retired. You don't let players like that play for another team. I still shudder at and block out memories of Hakeem in a Raptors uniform, and I don't think Les intends to see Yao lace up as a Warrior or Laker even if it's just for a season or two.

Of course, Yao could decide he's done and retire.

12. gah

gah Member

Liked the read. It also gave me the impression that not only AB and Battier are obviously available, but that the Rockets also will be agressively trying to use those two in trades.

13. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

I agree with Morey. Yao has been good for the Rockets. As fans, we've been disappointed at his injuries, but we always knew that big men his size have foot problems. It wasn't a surprise. But Yao has been a special type of player. He has been a superstar for spurts of seasons, when not injured.

Too bad about the injury bug. I'm glad the Rockets still want him involved. I think that Yao can be the type of player who can fit with the current make up of the team.

As I see it, the Rockets have already moved on with the team. But the Rockets can always use a player of Yao's qualities.

But for the future if Yao is involved, I would see him as a bench player more than a starter. His days of going for 32-35 minutes were over 2 years ago. Yao would be more of a 12 to 15 minute guy from now on - IF HE DECIDES TO FIGHT THIS LATEST SETBACK AND GET ON THE NBA COURT.

14. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Like that was ever in question. We're getting better.

15. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

Hilarious. lol

Obviously, the key is that Yao brings in some major dough for Les and the Rox. But, just from a legacy perspective, I think Les doesn't want to repeat his biggest mistake to date of letting Hakeem leave for the Raptors. Some players are iconic to a franchise.

16. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

It's profit move, Yao is done and will never be the same, there is no need investing into Yao anymore, I love the guy but enough is enough.

17. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

YAO VALUE = 1 billion chinese fans and second biggest economy in the world

Yao and basketball are nunmber 1 in china !!!

Make Yao a lifetime Rocket player and afterwards staff and you have loyal chinese fans for life !!!

= CASH COW

mooo moooo Cash COW MOOOO MOOOO

18. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

business wise Yao Les and Morey will not let him go never

Hi value as a lifetime rockets is priceless to sponsors and fans in not only china but asia

19. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

Rockets management is not stupid. $$$$$$$- I'm fine with that. It's the reason Les has no problem spending $$$$$$$.

20. highlander3128

Don't ever underestimate the heart of a Rockets ;)