1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

SI: NBA Preseason Power Rankings

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...n.power.rankings/index.html?eref=twitter_feed

16. Houston Rockets (43-39) - If the Rockets had indeed been able to acquire Pau Gasol and follow up by signing Nene, then it would have made more sense to switch from Rick Adelman, with his motion offense and high-post sets, to new coach Kevin McHale, who prefers a more pound-the-paint approach to scoring. But after the Gasol trade was blocked and Nene re-signed with Denver, McHale's first priority is to develop a center from among Jordan Hill, Patrick Patterson and Hasheem Thabeet. (Last year's starter, 6-6 fire hydrant Chuck Hayes, signed with Sacramento but had the contract voided after failing a physical.) The Rockets still have weapons galore from an offense that ranked fourth in efficiency and third in points last season. But it will be up to McHale (and assistant Kelvin Sampson) to generate enough stops for Houston to slip into the playoffs.

2. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

More than fair.

3. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Can't complain.

4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Apparently I'm behind on my analysis of the rest of the league -- Denver is the 5th best team in the NBA?

They have Portland as the 8th best West team, one spot ahead of Houston. If we get the 9th seed again ... good night.

5. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

This analysis puts us right in the middle of the pack again -- either on the cusp of the playoffs or the cusp of the lottery. In either instance, mediocrity will continue to reign.

6. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

We are an Al Jefferson away from making noise in the west. I was thinking about it yesterday. There are only two teams that I believe are elite in the west. OKC and the Clippers. The rest of the pack is all mediocre.

Surprise team in the west will be the Timberwolves.

7. Raven

Raven Member

Screw making noise. I'd rather the Rockets win championships. See my sig.

:)

2 people like this.
  8. joesr

joesr Member

but.....but its morning?!?!?

9. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Fire Hydrant Hayes!

10. jogo

jogo Member

I think his comments and rankings for the Rockets are right. But it's hard to understand his thinking for much of his rankings.

Too Low: San Antonio, Utah
    Too High: Indy, Mem, Bos

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

Pound the paint approach to scoring? Didn't we hire Chris Finch so we can keep the read-and-react system going? Also the preseason game was pretty much Adelman's system. We have no center to start pounding the ball in the paint to.

12. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

If I have to endure another 9th seed in this upcoming season, then I'll be cursing Les Alexander's name through out the 2012 draft.

13. daspydamayn

daspydamayn Member

wow 76ers and pacers ahead of portland? portland added jamal crawford and kurt thomas to their playoff team.

nuggets are pretty high too

14. VBG

VBG Member

I disagree. Memphis gets an elite wing player back and were 1-2 plays away from being in the Western Conference. And they were a matchup that Dallas did not want to see.

Indy has had a very very good offseason and should spring into the Atlanta level spot.

Boston is healthy for now. As long as they're healthy they can contend. Those games with Miami were super close (Lebron was ridiculously good in the clutch) and that was with Rondo mostly gone for half the series.

Utah should be terrible this year unless someone has an amazing breakout.

Denver at number 5 is crazy.

I would put Houston over Portland. Especially with Aldridge out for the first 2 weeks. I don't see how Portland could be over Houston to be honest.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  16. The CDN Dream

The CDN Dream Member

All i got from this thread was chuck being called a fire hydrant...
    - short, solid and ready to burst?

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Damn it, Clutch. There is no such thing as "9th seed." There are only 8th seeds. The 9th place team doesn't get a seed. So stop calling it the 9th seed! :p

18. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

Nobody puts Carl Herrera in a corner!

:mad:

19. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

This is truly hell... I get the team is young and growing but we're literally the freaking Indiana Pacers of the West. Always around mediocre but never good enough to make serious noise. I feel for Morey because his plan was so close to actually taking shape but have to move on. The big boys aren't coming here with their options so we'll either need one of our young guys to emerge or Les will have to give in.

FREAKING HELL!!!

20. ipa

ipa Member

In US perhaps... here...it's dark and cold...winter night:D