1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SI] More Love for Dwight Howard

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by compucomp, Nov 15, 2006.

1. binhie

binhie Member

Currently

Emeka Okafor > Howard

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

There isn't one single GM in the league who would take Emeka Okafor instead of Howard if given the choice. Emeka had an off-year last season because he gained too much weight (muscle) and his body didn't respond well. He's off to an awesome start this season and I'm happy for him. But we can only imagine how good Howard will be when he turns 24 (as Emeka is right now).

3. qrui

qrui Member

excellent post!

4. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

So you are talking about Howard has much better POTENTIAL than Okafor. But at this stage, I would say they are pretty much on the same level. Emeka has less upside but much more polished skills and low post move than Dwight. But of course, if Dwight continues to get better (which I think he will), he will become a far superior player than most PFs in this league.

5. jeremyang2002

jeremyang2002 Contributing Member

Yeah.

He's got a grown man body. But why is he still not an offense beast like Shaq's doing in the old days?

Because he is not that strong and will never be.

Unless he keeps improving his offense skill, he will never be a 25PPG guy.

Dont tell me it just needs some time.

To improve skill is much more difficult than you thought,especially for a big man.

6. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

Haha. The funny part about this article is how in a few years the Magic are going to be contenders because:

1) Howard will be a beast down low (okay I believe that)
    2) Darko will be a bookend, shot blocking power forward (okay... maybe)
    3) Jameer Nelson will be the clutch game winner (okay... maybe)
    4) Addtion of max-contract Vince Carter

um... even if 1-3 all turn out to be true. Vince Carter, once he gets paid, will not be as good as he is now. Also, he would totally r****d the growth of Howard, Milicic and Nelson by taking the ball out of their hands.

7. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

Dwight Howard, from what highlights I've seen of him, does have a pretty sweet drop step move though...

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

vince carter is a lot of things, he's not a ball hog. a)its not his personality, and b) its not his game. he gets his in the flow of the game.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Completely agree with everything except I believe Howard is destined to play C and not PF. For this season, he and Emeka may be roughly equal or Emeka may even be more productive and consistent.

Long term, Howard definitely will improve his rebounding while his scoring is hard to gauge. If doesn't develop some skills and sophistication on offense he will have trouble averaging 20ppg.