1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

SI: Mark Trestman - Schaub's West Coast Roots Run Deep

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by HillBoy, Sep 5, 2007.

1. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Looks like the Texans are finally getting some good national press:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/marc_trestman/09/05/schaub/index.html

Schaub's West Coast roots run deep
    Texans QB has years of experience in current system
    Posted: Wednesday September 5, 2007

The Houston Texans may have hit the jackpot with quarterback Matt Schaub.

There are several reasons he will succeed in Houston, some of which started long before the Texans acquired him from the Falcons this offseason.

Schaub's connection with the Texans actually began in 1994 with a backup QB for the 49ers. After playing behind Steve Young for George Seifert's 1994 World Champion 49ers, Bill Musgrave decided to follow then QBs coach Gary Kubiak and former 49ers offensive coordinator MikeShanahan to the Denver Broncos to back up Hall of Famer John Elway. During that time, Musgrave's understanding of the West Coast offense grew ... to such a degree that Bill decided to become a coach. He was hired in 1997 to be the QB coach in Oakland for Al Davis' Oakland Raiders.

In 2001 and 2002, after coaching stints for Seifert in Carolina with the Panthers, Musgrave became the offensive coordinator at the University of Virginia. Thee he mentored a young Schaub and taught him the West Coast offense.

I evaluated Schaub when he was coming out of Virginia in 2004. I sincerely believe he was playing in the best coached offense in college football and executing the principles of the West Coast offense better than any college QB ever had. It was clear to me by watching the structure of the offense, his footwork and superior accuracy that NFL teams would be all over him.

It didn't surprise me that the Falcons, who ran a system similar to the offense at Virginia, drafted Schaub in the third round. It would be easy for me to say that Schaub should have gone higher, but the fact is that when you can complete 67 percent of your passes over four years at a Div. I-A school, your chances of NFL success is at least reasonable. I enjoyed speaking with Matt at the 2004 NFL Scouting Combine. I didn't see any flaws, just a quiet, somewhat shy young man with obvious intelligence.

It was clear by the tape that Matt had the size and arm strength scouts look for. He had an entire inventory of throws, was accurate and made quick spontaneous decisions in a well-designed offense. Matt had just enough mobility to avoid being caught in the pocket, and showed toughness and reasonable durability playing 40 college games over his career in Charlottesville.

He was reunited with Musgrave in Atlanta, when Bill was hired to coach the QBs. For eight years, three in Atlanta and five at Virginia, Schaub played in an offense he will essentially run next Sunday against the Chiefs in Houston. We know who his head coach will be, but it is ironic that his QB coach will be a young Kyle Shanahan. And his offensive coordinator will be Mike Sherman, a disciple of Mike Holmgren, who preceded Mike Shanahan at San Francisco.

Schaub is 26 and has spent the last three years watching and learning how to handle the pressure of running this offense against NFL caliber defenses. Thanks in part to his training, Schaub has begun to change the culture of the Texans. He has become a factor by practicing more efficiently and bringing the locker room closer together. He also has allowed Kubiak and Sherman to be creative with their play-calling because of his intelligence and fundamental understanding of the offense.

The Texans' issues protecting the quarterback have been well-documented in recent years, but Schaub will help alleviate some of those problems. Under Sherman's direction, he'll be able to change protections at the line to account for free pass-rushers and put the offense in a much better position each play, by changing plays at the line of scrimmage.

And the Texans have confidence in Schaub's decision-making skills outside the pocket, which will help alleviate the pressure on the offensive line. Look for Kubiak to use Schaub like he used Jake Plummer in Denver and for Schaub to make several big plays on the move.

The NFL is about the QB and it always will be. As Schaub takes center stage Sunday, the Texans will be writing a new chapter in their history. And Schaub will be the principle author.

Also, take a look at the front page of SI.com under NFL Breakout Stars for 2007 where Matt Schaub is prominently displayed.

2. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Nice article! Im excited to see what Schaub can do this year. Vegas has us at 6 1/2 wins. I'll take the over.

3. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

That's about right. If we got 6 wins last year, I think we'll at least match it. But I don't think we'll reach 8 wins either. So, for me, that means 6 or 7 wins and Vegas split that down the middle. :D

Oh, and good article.

4. Major

Major Member

The Texans should be vastly improved this year. I think we will learn that a lot of our struggles on the O-Line and such are alleviated by having a competent QB. We'll see, but my position is that Carr was the primary source of struggles for the Texans' offense. The fact that they (hopefully) found not just an adequate but a seemingly good replacement is a bonus.

5. ThePrivate

ThePrivate Member

those odds are going to change once vegas realizes they are going to lose a lot of money!

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

It took me a long time to admit it, but I now agree.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I love it!!! I'm so pumped for Sunday's game!

8. msn

msn Member

My position on David Carr also changed drastically.

But, it's a little disingenuous to point at this *MUCH* improved offensive line (improved moreso by coaching with brain waves than by talent) and say, "see! It was David all along!!"

Carr was a far greater problem than I knew. He may have even been--OK probably was--a bigger problem than the OL.

But the OL was still a huge problem.

It's like they were made for each other: a piece of crap QB, a piece of crap OL, a piece of crap coaching scheme, and braindead upper management.

The perfect storm of a craptacular NFL existence.

OH, and I forgot the horrible running game pre- and post- DD(W). And the receivers with stone-cold hands. And a defense full of guys playing positions they didn't play in college, crafted by the so-called defensive genius himself.

And Dom Capers's horrid post-game interviews making every game sound like they made progress.

So glad it's behind us.

9. HillBoy

I feel that we are now seeing a bit of the revisionist history about Carr (just like we're seeing about JVG on the Rockets side) being the biggest problem with the offense. This has been widely advocated by John McClain (who is sounding more senile every passing day) and while it's simple, convenient and gives one a yummy feeling in the tummy, it's incredibly misleading. And it lets McNair, Casserly & Capers off the hook because, AFAIK, these 3 are far more responsible for what happened than is David Carr.

As msn points out, the OL has been a huge problem from day one and he's right. I don't see how any QB could have lived through what Carr was forced to endure without being adversely affected. From the beginning, they (Texans) did virtually nothing to address the lack of decent protection for Carr and by year 5, the sacks, coaching blunders, drafting mistakes and stupid tactics had taken their toll. Fact is, we will never know what kind of QB Carr would have made because he wasn't given a chance to develop like say, Ben Roethlisberger. Funny but I couldn't help but notice that the Steelers actually protected their young QB rather than letting him get sacked 76 times.

So let's see, they draft a QB no. 1 and then do not put an offensive line in place to protect him. Then they stand by while he gets his ass handed to him for four straight seasons and it's his fault the offense looks bad. Well, shades of Dan Pastorini! So now we are to believe that the QB that they (Texans) setup for failure, the same QB who was sacked 76 times in rookie year (an NFL record) - a QB who was sacked a whopping 249 times in his 5 seasons here - is the main reason the offense has looked like crapola. Yeah, right. If this is the recipe for success in the NFL, then I don't want to know what failure looks like. This entire franchise from the owner on down, has been a train wreck from day one and msn was dead on when he called it The perfect storm of a craptacular NFL existence.

10. ima_drummer2k

Well I, for one, never said the O-line wasn't a huge problem. I've been saying that for 5 years. I also never said it was Carr's fault that he sucked. That doesn't change the fact that he sucked and it was time for a change.

All I said is that, because of his skillset, Schaub has the ability hide a lot of flaws with our O-line (if the preseason is any indication) whereas Carr seemed to expose them.

It does make you wonder when you see Sage's sack percentage vs. Carr's sack percentage. Of course, I don't have that but I remember someone posting it here and seeing a huge difference between the 2 with Carr's being much higher. They played behind the same O-line.

All that being said, much of your criticism is aimed at Casserly and Capers who, along with Carr, are long gone now so there's really not much point in debating it anymore.

11. Major

Major Member

There's no doubt about any of this - and I have no idea what Carr "might have been" or could be with a fresh start. But the problems I saw last year were not solely or even primarily the O-Line's fault. Yes, they sucked. But when given opportunities, Carr didn't perform either. To me, an improved O-Line was/is important, but it wasn't going to fix the team unless Carr was moved. Carr has a lot of Chris-Simmsitis. Whether he had it from Day #1 or developed it, it's there.

It's basically non-smart football. On 3rd and 6, taking the 4 yard pass to a stationary receiver because "it's what the defense gave us" - nevermind the fact that they gave it to specifically because they knew it would lead to a punt. Interceptions due to locking onto receivers and the inability to look people off. Limited ability to audible into better plays. Things like that - to me, Carr's problems went well past the stat line. That's one reason why I thought his impressive completion % and things like that were overrated - his decision-making just was not geared to scoring. It's hard to describe, but that's what I saw.

We'll see if that's true or if I'm overrating his negative impact though. I still wish Simms could just start and stay healthy to see if my theory on him is right or not. He did start the beginning of last year and go 0-3 with Carr-like numbers (high completion %, low yards per pass, etc), but I would like a bigger sample size.

12. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

great post. Don't forget about his lousy pocket presence though. Another thing that I don't know if he had it before or after he got to the nfl. He scrambled when he didn't need to, dropped back too far, and had happy feet. Notice in the dallas preseason game dallas was bringing the pressure, getting in his face, but I believe they only got one sack because Schaub knew how to avoid the rush by using his oline and also knew where to send the ball when it was coming.

It makes me lmao when the national media pundits blame the OL for all of Carr's faults, like he didn't have something to do with it.

13. ima_drummer2k

They brought the pressure and forced him out of the pocket on that play right before halftime. Only difference is, instead of stepping out of bounds for a loss like Carr would have done, Schaub threw a strike to Jacoby Jones (off his back foot while on the run) in the back of the end zone for a TD.

14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

More of a great catch by Jones than a great throw by Schaub.

I could Carr making the throw and hiting Gaffney (sp?) in the hand, and then his helmet, and popping up in the air for an interception.

The careful football observer would notice that after the sack in the Dallas game, Kubiak went mostly with three step drops for Schaub. That could have been something that they decided to do pregame faik, but vision of DC did dance through my mind.

15. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Schaub got to study under Vick and play with an veteran OL.

Carr was thrown directly in with a inexperienced crappy team etc. It was destined for failure.

16. updawg

updawg Member

That and he lacks the talent needed for the NFL

17. ima_drummer2k

I'd like to think that Schaub threw it high on purpose because he didn't want to take a chance on it being intercepted, plus he know what an athlete JJ is and that he could go up and get it.

:)

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

And the fact that he made the throw at all.

19. HillBoy

Major, the Carr you saw last season had absorbed 4 straight years of beatings, stupid coaching and bad team play. By that time, he was so shell-shocked as a QB, he was virtually useless. The big mystery to me is why the head coach who is supposed to have a keen eye for QBs, couldn't see that. I'm not a Carr apologist by any means because I can clearly see that he inherently lacks competitive drive and leadership. What I object to is all of this "Carr was the main reason the offense sucked. A lot of the sacks were his fault and not the OL's and so on" talk as if to paint him as a total incompetent who was responsible for the terrible offensive systems of the past 4 years all the while praising Matt Schaub as the real deal. Well, Schaub SHOULD look better. The last time I looked, Matt Schaub hasn't been put through the beating that Carr has faced over the past 5 years so he should be in better shape mentally and physically. Plus, as the SI article points out, he's been playing in the West Coast Offense since college so he had damned well better look good running Kubiak's version of the WCO.

This was the same argument that was used against Dan Pastorini when he was getting stomped because the Oilers could not grasp the concept that the OL is there to protect the QB. As I posted before, the parallels between Carr & Pastorini are downright eerie. All I ask that if you want to assign blame for what has happened, then make certain you put the blame where it rightfully belongs.

20. HillBoy

Exactly and when you add in Carr's lack of competitive drive and leadership skills, then what you have is a blueprint for total failure. I don't totally agree with Updawg because Carr does have the physical talent to play in the league but by now, he's such a headcase, he's nothing more than a backup QB if that.