1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SI] James Harden reveals why he left Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jalen Green OnlyFan, Aug 19, 2021.

?

Does this offend you as a Houstonian?

1. Yes

46 vote(s)
    24.9%
  2. No

139 vote(s)
    75.1%
  1. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Thanks for outing yourself.

Peace.

2. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

LOL you scared of simple questions?

either answer at least 1 or STFU

3. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

yeah he should have owned up to being a top 5 player in his prime who refused to be a tank commander

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I am not interested in whether those big market places actually help those guys "build their brand." I mean, this thread is based on what Harden said. Does moving to the Nets help him? Who knows.

But your last point is exactly what's happening. Melo may be a fool going to the Knicks. But it's a fact that he wanted to be in NY. That's all that's matter: Do big cities attract star players more easily than small towns? My answer is definitely yes.

5. VickMackey

VickMackey Member

Why you so angry? You didn’t ask me any questions....

6. VickMackey

VickMackey Member

He wanted to trade Cp3 for Westbrook...harden is a huge part of why the team fell apart. Weird you seem to think otherwise

7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

But that's the thing in the end, the perception is not the reality and it would be helpful for a lot of smaller market teams if we all realized that.

That no, you don't have to play for the Knicks to be a global superstar, you really don't. You don't have to be a Laker to get movie roles. This whole thing they sell to these players are just things they tell players to benefit themselves. It's the player's entourage that wants to be in NY and LA, that's who it benefits. The player himself still has all doors open to him should he want to walk through them.

That big cities attract star players, that's not what I'm arguing. They do because there is more to do in NYC than OKC...but the reasons given to players is always "Grow your brand" kind of stuff and that reason, nowadays at least, is just complete bunk.

Jalen Green has millions of fans and hasn't even played a minute of NBA ball yet and unless he's a complete bust it looks like he's going to be a huge star due to style of play and the style of his character...and doesn't hurt that he's an attractive dude either of course.

8. HoustonWest

HoustonWest Member

Well I get that the narrative changes, but the reason is Giannis proved the doubters and critics wrong, just like Jordan in the 90s and Nowitzki in 2011.

Giannis really took it to another level by discovering he could bully his way to a title -- he dominated the court, and it's something many thought possible but for whatever reason he didn't show it until 2021.

Yes, matchups play a role in that, but it does feel like Giannis "unlocked" another level in his game. Giannis still hasn't reached his prime yet.

Kobe, even with Shaq and later Gasol had that killer instinct that Lakers fans absolutely adore.

Harden just didn't seem to show it. He didn't adjust his game in the playoffs (no mid-range adjustments in 2017-2020). It was infuriating at times. And yes, playing arguably the best constructed roster of all time makes it more difficult, but still...watching Harden during his last few playoff series with the Rockets, it's fair to observe that fans hoped for more.

Maybe that's unfair to Harden, but that's the basis for debate.

9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Weird. Everyone is praising the Rockets for having the fastest rebuild in history.

10. GOOGOOMECHUCK

GOOGOOMECHUCK Member

Salvy likes this.
  11. VickMackey

VickMackey Member

Cures for insomnia but I dig it

Salvy likes this.
  12. GOOGOOMECHUCK

GOOGOOMECHUCK Member

He’s obsessed with Mr. Fertitta

Salvy likes this.
  13. VickMackey

VickMackey Member

Ya I dunno I didn’t read it

Salvy likes this.
  14. GOOGOOMECHUCK

GOOGOOMECHUCK Member

O

Salvy likes this.
  15. thegame_2234

thegame_2234 Contributing Member

I still want him back :(

16. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

That article was trash. The only reason Harden wanted out was because he could play with Durant and Irving instead of Wall and Boogie.

17. Gakatron

Gakatron Contributing Member

Poor man's Jalen Green

18. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Harden choked more than that but the Rockets were hogtied by the refs in general. Westbrook and Durant choked a 3-2 WCF to the Warriors and that summer Durant joined them.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  19. Salvy

Salvy Member

GOOGOOMECHUCK likes this.
  20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You’re assuming there’s lot of Houstonians here
    @Deckard

Jalen Green OnlyFan likes this.