1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SI] Daryl Morey Preaches Patience With Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Nov 5, 2019.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

You joke but this offseason we definitely didn't really try to address this, and most of us on here spent all offseason asking why we don't care about forwards.

We were also built to counter GSW, but there is no GSW anymore. Times change. Gotta adapt and be versatile.

BaselineFade and Corrosion like this.
  2. alethios

alethios Member

Patience, CFers. Everything is fluid, but we're about to turn the corner. I'm serious.

fckbandwagons likes this.
  3. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Lebron: "Wanna talk about patience?..."

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Morey can’t actually believe this. I’m wondering if he is trying to save his job right now. Not that he deserves to be fired, of course not, but with what has happened before the season maybe the owner would be looking for an excuse to get rid of him.

5. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I want what Morey is smoking please!

6. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

Dude is still talking about offense and all that bullshit while ignoring our atrocious defense. Maybe MDA and Morey are just made from the same ilk..

PeterKingX likes this.
  7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I'll say this - after last years terrible start , I didn't see any avenues to improve - Morey found a way.

Then at seasons end I was looking at all the FA's we were likely to lose - mainly House , Rivers and Faried. I really thought there was potential for disaster there with no assets to replace those guys outside of those damn vet minimums.
    Morey got a deal done with House for a bit of the MLE and Rivers stuck around for less than market value - You cant count on those things happening but its great when they do.

The only thing he didn't do (Do Well) was fill that void at the 4 spot.

Morey didn't panic … he's a hell of a GM.

I think he'll find a way to solve the problem , particularly at the 3/4 combo spot at some point - and then this team can put it all together.

But right now …. that defense is a dumpster fire.

#47 Corrosion, Nov 5, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    HP3 and foggy94 like this.
  8. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Jesus dude are you illiterate or something?

9. Highlyrated

Highlyrated Member

With Russ and Harden alone they can score 100 points by themselves ,its going to take a good defense to try to match the clipps.They will be hard to beat ,morey and dumbtoni are really not emphasizing defense,that's a big problem.

10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I think he's just buying time … so much of the league isn't trade eligible until December. Just look at this roster …. only Harden , Westbrook , Capela , Tucker , Hartenstein and Clark are trade eligible right now - the first 4 you aren't likely to trade - the last two don't amount to much.

11. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Oh CC gone

12. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Listening to the Dunc’d on Podcast and the theme is Time to panic?

First topic was Houston and the defense. Neither hosts are really panicking.

They mentioned an essential guarantee in regression back to the mean in opponent shooting percentage against us.

I believe they said we were last in 3FG% against at 44% and 2nd to last was 40%. Also said we were 2nd to last in mid range FG% against at 45%.

They seemed extremely confident that those numbers couldn’t continue and that the defense should look much better.

HP3 likes this.
  13. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

The pathetic thing is Rockets still think the shooting is the problem, not the defense.

Lol.

Der Rabbi likes this.
  14. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Yeah they only talk offense. Defense? What is that? As long as our scrub shooters make shots, they think we can win championship right away. What a joke...

This team goes nowhere with the stupid GM and coach.

BasketMAD likes this.
  15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I'm sure they know what the problem is …. there just isn't an easy solution.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  16. ApuN

ApuN Member

**Sigh**

I'm afraid Morey and 'Antoni are just stuck on scoring 180 points a game to get us to a championship

Were doomed

PeterKingX likes this.
  17. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Did you know that we are the only team in the Western Conference that is undefeated against the Western Conference so far

18. Zergling

Zergling Member

This is the problem with Moreyball. Their goal is reaching the highest offensive efficiency ever and not necessarily a championship. Those two goals don't actually overlap as much as you think.

Going for the highest efficiency ever basically requires shooting as many threes as possible. By doing so, your variance of outcomes increases by a lot, which invites negative outcomes (losing to inferior teams, losing playoff games). Basically, this team is very low floor/high ceiling.

We've already seen this countless times. There were numerous playoff games we lost to the Warriors that could've been wins if we took more "safe" shots such as giving Harden more looks in the post and mid-range. The team needs to find a way to raise their floor. When their threes aren't falling, there has to be a Plan B.

don grahamleone likes this.
  19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

lol