1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SI.com] With eye toward free agency, new Rocket Artest switches agents

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jsmee2000, Aug 14, 2008.

1. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Member

article link

With eye toward free agency, new Rocket Artest switches agents

By Ian Thomsen, SI.com

Amid word of his trade to the Houston Rockets comes more news regarding Ron Artest's future: He has hired David Bauman to be his agent.

Bauman said he received the signed agent papers from Artest on Thursday morning. ''I look forward to working with Ron,'' said Bauman, who will be seeking a lucrative contract for Artest when he becomes a free agent in 2009.

Bauman replaces Mark Stevens, who was criticized by Artest and others in the league for being inexperienced in NBA matters. That won't be an issue for Bauman, the partner to David Falk. Bauman has procured current long-term deals for Andrew Bogut, Peja Stojakovic and Vladimir Radmanovic.

The goal for Artest will be to raise his value during a run at the championship this season in Houston with Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady. His decision to hire Bauman demonstrates Artest's newfound understanding that he will also need an experienced hand working behind the scenes to land him a long-term contract with a good franchise.

2. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bpAIjkM1gfU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bpAIjkM1gfU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

"If we don't win the championship it's a failure... what else do you want?"

3. Zboy

Zboy Member

I cringed as soon I read "David Falk."

Looks like Artest got smarter. Mr. Alexander will have to pay up if Artest is a good boy this year.

4. abita

abita Member

landry need to do the same

5. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

LOL yeah his agent is an idiot.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Nah, his agent is doing what he can for Landry......it is the restricted bit that is cocking things up.

DD

7. Rover16

Rover16 Member

Ouch, anything relating to david faulk is bad news. He's the scott boras of basketball. Just a pure greedy sack of ****.

8. i3artow i3aller

At worst, he'll still be ten times better than Landry's agent. I cringed as well when I read who Bauman's partner was. We've already seen David Falk the Clippers with Brand going to Philly.

9. emjohn

emjohn Member

David Falk....ugh. Looks like this'll be a one year rental then.

Evan

10. Tornadoofsoul6

Crap, if he can get Peja 10 million a year, and Vladrad 7 million, I'm scared to see how much we re-sign Ron for..

11. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Member

Falk is Deke's agent. So he can't be a bad person. :)

12. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Member

I would be STUNNED if Artest sticks around after next season. He wants to get paid, and I don't see how we can carry 3 max (or near max) contracts without completely blowing our future.

He was a low cost move this off-season cause we gave up rookies and BJax.

Next off-season he'll instantly become high cost because signing him will lock us up salary-wise forever. Worth the risk? I don't know. If he, Yao, and McGrady can stay healthy and can co-exist, we can probably survive over the luxury tax using the vet/mid-range exceptions. But we'll have to live with the knowledge that playing the free-agent market are over for the foreseeable future.

13. Supa Scoopa

Supa Scoopa Member

I'm not surprised. I never thought we would be able to keep Artest for the long term. Always saw him as a one year rental.

14. Rover16

Rover16 Member

If we win a championship this year. The one year rental will be worth it. :cool:

15. i3artow i3aller

Ron Artest will not go from one of the league's best contracts to a max player over the course of one season given his history. Don't get me wrong, I like Ron, and love him in Houston, but teams will want to be protected given his past indiscretions.

16. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Member

I could absolutely live with that because we would be in championship contention for the next 3 or 4 years. When I say contention, I mean we would be an "elite" or "serious" contender for the title. That is all I can ask of the Houston Rockets. Outside of actually winning the whole thing, of course, but it starts with having the talent to be able to win the title and the Rockets' team with Yao Ming, Ron Artest, and Tracy McGrady would have that opportunity every year that they are together.

Also, he's not old. So I can see it being a great re-signing with him next to Yao and Tracy who are similar age wise.

17. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Member

David Bauman is Artest's new agent not Fauk.

18. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Forseeable future? After this season, either Yao, McGrady or both are only under contract for like one more year.

19. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

^^^
    Just to add to that, though, I do want them both back, but at the same time we DO have some flexibility in the near future if we don't like how things are looking.

... With all that said, I doubt that anything Artest does this year will convince me that he's worth the max or anything close to it.

20. i3artow i3aller

DarkHorse I must admit I am a little confused/stunned when you talk of completely blowing our future by keeping Artest or another player with a big contract. The trade for Ron already signaled that the time to win is now. Morey spoke openly of going all in and this is it. T-Mac and Yao are not getting any younger and in today's NBA you need three stars if you actually want to contend. Boston has 3 max or near max guys on their team and I don't think that they are too worried about their teams subsequent future. Ron won't garner a max contract all of a sudden no matter how successful we are this year. Malice in the Palace assured us of that much. If things come together perfectly both on and off the court I would like to see us give Ron a frontloaded contract for an affordable price. He will not generate a max deal anywhere. I believe given his competitive nature, age(although not old by any means), and desire to win a ring that he will eventually re-sign with Houston as long as everything goes smoothly. And with Ron that is always an unknown.