1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SI.com] Wells, James, say they're just looking to 'fit in' with Hornets

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jsmee2000, Feb 23, 2008.

1. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

article link

Wells, James, say they're just looking to 'fit in' with Hornets

NEW ORLEANS (AP) -Bonzi Wells doesn't eat seafood or pork, which pretty much rules out gumbo, jambalaya, crawfish and soft-shell crab - the dishes for which New Orleans is known.

He says he'll settle for a good steak and otherwise focus on basketball, which shouldn't be hard to do with the Hornets playing about as well as any team in the NBA.

"It's a great situation,'' Wells said Friday, when he and guard Mike James arrived from Houston. "I think myself and Mike will fit in well here.''

The Hornets acquired the pair in a three-team trade that sent popular reserve guard Bobby Jackson and rookie Adam Haluska to the Rockets shortly before Thursday's NBA trading deadline.

While the Rockets were in New Orleans on Friday night, Jackson was back in Houston for a physical, which was needed to make the trade official.

That meant James' and Wells' first night as Hornets was limited to sitting at the end of the bench in street clothes, watching and learning their new team's plays.

Both said they were initially surprised to learn they had been traded from a team that was on a nine-game winning streak before they left.

James said he will miss his wife and children, who live in Houston, but won't miss sitting on the bench, which he felt he spent too much time doing with the Rockets.

"At first it was mixed emotions because change is always tough,'' James said. "But other than that it's about the game now. I'm still in the prime of my career. I've got a lot left in me ... Not to be utilized, it definitely hurt a lot.

"I never was given (an explanation). Just one day playing, one day not. One of those: sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't,'' James continued.

James played with Morris Peterson in Toronto, which is where James had the best season of his career, averaging 20.3 points in 2005-06. Peterson walked over to James' locker and spoke with him for several minutes before Friday night's game.

"That's my little brother right there,'' Peterson said, smiling at several reporters.

Wells has at times been a regular starter in his career, but also has a reputation for questionable behavior. He has been suspended several times for things such as cursing his coach in public or making an obscene gesture at fans.

"I'm not really that emotional. I'm just an aggressive type player,'' Wells said. "You know how it is when sometimes things don't go your way you seem to snap every now and then, but that was when I was younger and dumber. I'm older now and I've learned how to channel my energy in a different way.''

Hornets coach Byron Scott said he told Wells he starts with a clean slate in New Orleans.

"We've got a great locker room, a strong locker room, and we've got a strong coaching staff,'' Scott said. "So I don't worry about that stuff. As long as he comes in here, does his job and is very professional about it, we'll have no problems.''

Wells said he has no preconceived notion about his role on the Hornets and is simply looking to fit in on a team that has been playing well.

"Whether it's two minutes or 30 minutes, I don't really care. I just want to be a good teammate and hopefully continue the winning ways around here.''

James echoed those sentiments. But unlike Wells, he was looking forward to some local fare.

"I could eat anything from crawfish to steak to a pork chop, so I'll be good.''

2. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I have been a long time Mike James supporter. I don't see how he can blame anyone but himself for his performance this year. :confused:

Look Mike. Rockets are trying to make the playoffs in the most ever competitive Western Conference ever. If Rockets could find a way to utilize your brick and mortar skills while still giving themselves a good chance to win games, I am sure they would. They are good people.

I don't think anyone shooting at 35% clip for the season deserves an explanation as to why they are not getting a whole lotta time, especially when they were brought in to put points on the scoreboard. What did you want the Rockets management to do? Put on this T shirt whenever they called you in the office for a talk?

[​IMG]

Rockets gave you minutes when the season started. You did fine the first couple of games. Then you were abducted by an alien and your game went south. As you kept bricking, but most importantly kept calling your own number out of the team offense, your minutes gradually declined. Heck, Adelman still gave you chances to redeem yourself on several occasions yet you continued to disappoint him and other fans of your game like myself.

Adelman has been more than fair with everyone this season. To keep your spot, all you had to do was outshine Rafer when it came to shooting. The hurdle was set at 1 inch off the ground for you to overcome yet you kept on tripping. So please stop with the b****ing and moaning.

Thank you! That's exactly how I felt about your game this year especially as a long time Mike James supporter. Considering the nutty feeling usually appeared when you were on the floor, I can see why the Rockets management made this move. You should too.

#2 Zboy, Feb 23, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  3. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Btw, I think this should be in GARM as its Rockets related.

4. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

It may as well belong to the GARM...but the truth is that they are not Houston Rockets anymore! Hence...the NBA Dish.

5. MLittle577

MLittle577 Contributing Member

He said he is in the prime of his career? For real?

6. tulexan

tulexan Member

Bonzi doesn't eat seafood? He might actually lose some weight in New Orleans.

7. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

They are former rockets though, so technically it belongs int the GARM

8. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Definately belongs in the Game Action and Roster Moves since its former Rockets talking about the Rockets. Anyways, I thought it was funny that the articles started off with Bonzi and Food.

9. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

Aaron outplayed you. Pretty selfexplanatory. He thinks just because he got a contract it gives him the right to play. You have to be better than the next guy. Mike is too proud to admit that he sucked.

I think he will be energized the first few games and play well and then he'll revert back to his old self. THen he'll hopefully realize that it wasn't the team. It was him. There's no way he'll get big minutes behind Chris Paul. And Pargo is a more consistent shooter. So, he'll be moping again.

As far as Bonzi, I have no idea what his role will be. I think he'll do the same thign he did here. Get 12 minutes a game and give you 7 points and 4 rebs. If he doesn't play good defense though, Scott might not play him.

On paper it looks good for the Hornets, but I don't think James and Wells will pan out, especially James.

#9 macfan, Feb 23, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I wish Wells the best. James is an idiot. Glad he's gone.

11. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

I find it strange we haven't heard from Bobby yet.

12. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

13. MaxwellsTemper

I was not a fan of the James signing when it happened. He just likes calling his own number too much to be an effective PG. Unfortunately, he did not prove me wrong. I wish him luck, but I'm pleased the team got rid of that contract.

14. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Member

He did pretty good in the beginning. He got 20+ points in one game I think. After that, he just continues to go south... Even during garbage time, James was, well garbage.

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I'm not going to miss Bonzi. He's a player but I think he was really playing for a contract.

16. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I'm starting to wonder if Mike James has a real problem with his mental health. I'm not joking either. He seems to be in compete denial regarding his performance and ability on the court. Does he think he is going to get minutes playing in N.O.?

17. tsunami

tsunami Member

did James say that he felt like a nuts sometimes :D

18. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

Bonzi sigting...in Hornets uniform...indigo headband...weird.

19. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

Bonzi first 2 pt as a Hornet....left baseline jumper. :eek:

20. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

Dont take long...3rd qtr 5:28...Bonzi got his 1st T as a Hornet.