1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

SI.Com-Rox one of five teams that have taken a step backwards this offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Blake, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

From Kelly Dwyer's article today. Don't know if I agree 100% and apologies if this has been posted...couldn't find it.

"Houston Rockets

Assuming everyone stays healthy, Houston's biggest issue after an up-and-down offseason would seem to be whether or not Shane Battier and Tracy McGrady can play together. Both are unselfish wing types who will try their damnedest to make it work, but Battier can't play shooting guard (he didn't spend a minute at the position last season, according to 82games.com), and McGrady hardly seems up to chasing off-guards around. Playing Battier at power forward for stretches would help alleviate some of these worries, but that would come at the expense of minutes for promising rebounder Chuck Hayes -- who appears to be the next Danny Fortson, minus the crazy.

We're not saying Rudy Gay would be the answer in this instance (the Rockets traded Gay, alongside disappointing power forward Stromile Swift, to Memphis for Battier), but with a lottery selection in hand, we would have liked to see Houston pry a bit more from the open market for the duo. Nothing against Battier -- he's a wonderful player to have on your team and is owed just under $32 million over the next five years. (Compare that to Mike Dunleavy Jr., who will make $12 million more over the same period.) It's just that we question his and McGrady's ability to ham-and-egg it together, and wonder if this is more of an insurance move in anticipation of another trip to the injured list for T-Mac.

This could still be a 50-win team, even with its thin bench. Rookie guard Vassilis Spanoulis can play, and he's a mess of fun to watch. The Rockets missed out on reacquiring Mike James, but getting Kirk Snyder (a potentially starting-quality off-guard) for next to nothing was a solid move. Still, they're well short of their division rivals, San Antonio and Dallas, clubs the Rockets at least seemed on par with this time last summer."

2. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I hate this article because I know Kelly is just calling it as he sees it, and I respect his perspective.

Nonetheless, I think the Rockets are actually a better team this year than they were last year. I'll take Battier, Snyder, Novak and Spanoulis over Wesley, Swift, Bogans and Lampe any day of the week.

3. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I think (and Kelly can correct me if I am wrong) that Kelly is a Bulls fan but he has always provided solid takes on all teams. I guess that is why he is able to get his articles in SI. But everything he says is true, so I have no problem with it. If anything, he might be a little more optimistic than me. But even if I disagreed with it, I couldn't hold that against him...he has good musical tastes, especially with Queen. ;)

4. Pulp

Pulp Member

I kinda like this guy :)

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

KD, stop stealing my posts or start sending me a check!

Seriously, I think he's 100% right. We have crying needs in areas that we didn't address in a satisfactory fashion, and we overpaid for Battier.

Not a good offseason for a team that needed one.

6. jdrock

jdrock Member

Everything depends on the health of TMac and Yao. If those 2 are at full strength, everything else falls into place for us.

7. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

That analysis is dead on.

8. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

We still need some more athleticism on this team. In terms of depth, we've done a tremendous job. Again, we NEED some athleticism.

9. tested911

tested911 Member

I guess 50+ wins doesnt cut it anymore as being a good team..

Looks like we need to strive for a 60+ win next season or we are a bust in front of SI's eyes.

10. tricky

tricky Member

"That analysis is dead on."

Agreed, and he doesn't get into JL III and Sura as good possibilities to improve the team further. A lot really depends on TMac's health.

11. thewaterox

thewaterox Contributing Member

Can this team win if T-mac goes down again? I hope the answer is yes because we've acquired some nice young players, but last year even with Yao the Rockets couldn't even beat the bad teams.

I hope T-mac and Yao stay off the side lines this year or it's going to be another long season.

12. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I think the most important point is that with a healthy McGrady, this team will still win 50 games. The homers will point to the addition of Battier & co. when the results will just be of status quo. This team needed to make the jump from pretty good to elite, and the front office still hasn't been able to put together a decent supporting cast year 3 into the experiment.

Bobby Sura and Mike James were much better than any 2 role players on this team.
    Padgett was Novak-best-case-scenario.
    Juwon is even worse than before.
    McGrady is much worse.
    Yao will be better but it remains to be seen whether he can maintain a high level of play.

So once again, we're banking on contributions from 3 "inknown commodities" in Snyder, Hayes, and V-Span. Terrible offseason thus far.

13. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

It's okay though, we have an awesome coach who can get more out of his players.

14. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

What? Players usually decline under Van Gundy in terms of production, defensively, now that's another story.

15. Manny Ramirez

Well that is assuming our 2 main stars don't miss significant time again. The Rockets' biggest problem last season, other than the injuries to Yao and McGrady, was the lack of a 3rd scoring option. I mean, other teams' endure injuries to their stars and although they struggle without them, they don't go 2-18 or whatever it was when Yao and/or T-Mac was out. Look at the Miami Heat and their role players - Payton, Mourning, Damon Jones, etc. These are guys that were solid starters at one time in their careers and some were even all-stars. Can you say that about the Rockets' role players? Guys like Ryan Bowen, Chuck Hayes, Juwan Howard, Lampe, etc? Obviously, not - we probably have 3 starters that could start for any other team in the league (McGrady, Yao, and Battier) and 2 starters that are obvious bench players on the good teams (Howard or Snyder and Alston).

Throw in the fact that the Rockets gave way too much up for Battier, couldn't sign Mike James, never really addressed their weakness at the 4 spot, and that management kept telling us fans that the team was in "win-now" mode, thus the reason for trading Rudy Gay. Yet, they can't commit to a trade kicker to get Mike James AND they decide to sign an unproven Euro player in V-Span. Hell, they aren't in "win-now" mode - they are in the mode that they are always in - "don't know what the hell we are doing, we make it up as we go". And people (the realistic fans) on this board see this immediately and it frustrates the hell out of us.

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Who were the other 4?

17. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

this is what i most agree on

just curious, would it be possible if we did keep rudy, let him prove himself in the summer league, then start fielding offers for him and whoever and see if we can get a real 3rd option out of it?..

18. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

i like how he interprets a 50-win season as a step back for a team that won 34 last year.

the offseason isn't over....

Yao 2006 > Yao 2005
    Battier > Howard
    Hayes > Swift
    Synder > Head
    Spanoulis > Brunson
    Lucas > Norris

oh yeah, giant step backwards :rolleyes:

19. Manny Ramirez

You haven't read many of 03's posts - he hates Van Gundy (like me but even more) with a passion and was being sarcastic.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Awesome, Kelly is usually as wrong as rain in August in Austin.

So....the Rockets will win it all baby !!

DD