1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SI.COM] John Lopez: Rockets championships are tainted

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by djohn2o12, May 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seven

Seven Member

He took that last line out.

"Even the two championships that Houston did win are tainted, thanks to Michael Jordan's self-imposed "retirement" in 1994 and 1995. Sorry, Houston. You choke"

Its just edited out.

Check out what else he edited...

But almost always, they fall short.

I thought it was pretty funny.

2. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Your instructions seem to be vague, what do I do again? Click the link?! I is so confuzed.

3. Hayden_SFC

Hayden_SFC Member

Nothing new, people have been saying this, or a variation of this for years.
    Houston won those years......period.

4. Jontro

Jontro Member

John Lopez... sigh...

in the immortal words of the Fergie: "you so 2000-and late."

Hey, let's also talk about the Suns' run 'n gun style not winning a championship while we're at it. Or I know, let's talk about the invention of the 3-pt line! Great idea! Never been discussed before!

This guy sucks as much as his cousin George. Maybe they both can get violently bent, or mauled by a grizzly (the bear, not the team)

5. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

What about Cleveland??

When was the last time they won any title?

In recent years, they always choke.

every year is the year when Lebron is going to win the title, but only one time has made it to the NBA finals.

So Cleveland chokes more than Houston, and this article should be about them, and all the bad moments in their sports history.

6. Ashes

Ashes Member

Haha, he edited it. What a joke.

7. Bojangles

Bojangles Contributing Member

[​IMG]

WAR that new ISH./

8. Raven

Raven Member

He won't even stand by his words.

9. conquistador#11

I feel bad for marc. Every morning he goes to work, he must wonder what he did wrong to be paired up such a d-bag. Marc is cheesy but cheesy isn't always bad. Football is now a year round event. they should let marc fly solo in his element, and get rid of lopez. Four hours of football talk, nothing else.

Did you guys know that lopez went to Texan A&M? (Insert rolling eyes smiley)

10. thcdrummer007

thcdrummer007 Member

I used to listen to 610 in the mornings cuz I like marc vandemeer, but as soon as this douchnozzle started there, I switched to Matt and Adam because I not only hate his sports takes, but I really just cant stand the sound of his voice.

11. 00rocketgirl

00rocketgirl Member

Rockets Bulls regular season match ups
    1989 1-1
    1990 1-1
    1991 2-0 (Bulls win championship)
    1992 1-1 (Bulls win championship)
    1993 2-0 (Bulls win championship)
    1994 1-1 (No MJ)

It appears to me the Rockets had matched up pretty well against the Bulls during the Bulls' first 3-peat and before with Michael Jordan playing. I was too young to witness any of these games.
    5-1 from 1991 to 1993!!! I don't see why we couldn't have beaten them in the finals if we got there.
    I like to use those past games to predict that the Rockets would have beaten an MJ Bulls team in 94 & 95.

1 person likes this.
  12. studogg

studogg Member

Lopez is a shock value journalist crying for attention. we shouldn't reward him by discussing his articles.

i skip anything from him or his cohort queen solomon.

13. dandorotik

dandorotik Member

Rockets are one of the premier franchises in basketball. 2 championships and 2 trips to the Finals- first, the only teams that trump us in championships are the Celtics, Lakers, Bulls, Spurs, and Pistons- I think the Knicks have 2 and ther 76ers have 2, everyone else has just 1. So, we're tied for 6 among 30 teams. Plus, they boast some of the great players of all time- Calvin Murphy, Elvin Hayes, Rudy T, Moses Malone, Hakeem Olajuwon, Clyde Drexler, and Charles Barkley. If not for one of the greatest teams of all time (1986), it's very likely that we would have had a 3rd championship- and isn't it funny that, even though the 86 Celtics are often ranked in the top 5 teams of all time, we managed to avoid a sweep and snag two victories in the series?

Besides the Oilers choke and the Astros' failure against San Diego in 1999, I think it was, Houston teams are not chokers. I can't say the same for Lopez' opinions- they do bring out the gag reflex and constricted airways in me.

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

Kobe, Shaq, and Duncan never had to beat Jordan to get their rings.

When the Rockets won their 2nd, Jordan was in the league. He just wasn't good enough to make it to the Finals.

If I could rep myself, I would.

1 person likes this.
  15. across110thstreet

The article is titled
    and the byline is
    and yes, #1 on that list is indeed Cleveland.

i see he edited his article. what a chump.

16. bloop

bloop Member

he's clueless

Clyde and his portland team was close to Jordan's team in '92. Jackass thinks that Clyde PLUS Dream (plus some badass vets like Sam Cassell, Robert Horry, Jet, Vernon Maxell) was worse than a Bulls team without Rodman?

seriously dude must have started watching the NBA around 2002...

17. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

it was like this:
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/epPwITy_BMU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/epPwITy_BMU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

don't forget the 80s either, they both came out the same year.
    note the team that won this game too.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q5PshcoKgXQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q5PshcoKgXQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

18. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Good post, and it's been proven that regular season matchups are a (generally) accurate predictor of postseason matchups.

19. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

if you look into the games, it's the same story most of the time.
    Dream destroying the entire front line of the Bulls.

The Rockets having the luxury of NOT double teaming Jordan during the Mad Max years. you hear that kids? we didn't double team the best scorer in the league.

Also, Kenny Smith murdered BJ Armstrong.

Jordan even acknowledged all of this:

http://clutchfans.net/news/1549/rudy_t_reflects_on_rockets/

20. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Member
    Supporting Member

The actual coaching behind those AAU teams was done by his running up the score buddy, Greg Wise. Wise couldn't officially be the coach. Lopez somehow thinks his AAU experience makes him a basketball god.

And what's up with that non stop Barney Rubbleish school girl giggle of his? That guy is obnoxious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.