1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SI] Adelman, Yao bad fit, team may shop Yao this summer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JoeBarelyCares, Mar 5, 2009.

1. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

It will be interesting to see how involved Yao Ming is in the Rockets' offense for the rest of the season. Yao has felt underutilized in Rick Adelman's read-and-react system, which is the polar opposite of Jeff Van Gundy's low-post oriented attack that involved Yao on nearly every possession. Some league insiders feel that while both Adelman and Yao are among the top coaches and players, respectively, their marriage to each other is doomed to fail. Adelman prefers big men who can step out on the perimeter and facilitate the offense from the elbow, like he had with Brad Miller, Chris Webber and Vlade Divac in Sacramento. Yao is a classic back-to-the-basket player who has never looked comfortable playing so far from the rim.

"Great coach, great player," an Eastern Conference scout said. "Bad mix."

The Rockets have shown no indication that they are open to trading Yao (who has two-years and $34 million remaining on his contract) or firing Adelman (who has one-year and a team option remaining on his original four-year deal). Yao is a cash cow for Houston, and the idea of dealing a 28-year-old franchise center would seem absurd. But several executives feel that the Rockets will see what the market is for Yao at the end of the season.

"They would be crazy not to at least ask around," an Eastern Conference GM said.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/chris_mannix/03/04/Celtics.Marbury/

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Adelman would definitely be the first to go. Easily.

3. tutone88

tutone88 Member

I call BS.

4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

The only reason the Rockets would ever shop him is if Yao made it emphatically clear he wasn't coming back. Even then it would be tough to imagine.

5. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I misread the thread title. I thought there was an SI article where Adelman was saying Yao was a bad fit and they would shop him. I damn near **** a brick.

6. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Obviously Adelman and Yao and not the best fit. Adelman isn't used to coach superstars like Yao. He would like to have a good passing big man who can play on the high post and can shoot. Yao is completly different.

And Yao would like to have JVG back as a coach.

But there is no way the Rockets are gonna shop Yao and keep Adelman. Rick would be first to go.

7. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

I wonder what we could get in return for such a good player and such a great cash cow!

8. aussiejack

aussiejack Member

one of the last 'true' centre who brings with him a potential audience of 1.5 billion or an above average coach who likes motion offence? :p yeah that's a hard one

9. longliverox

longliverox Member

Non sense! So far, they are sweet couple based on the power ranking!

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Translation: You are a better mix with my coach, Yao. Don't sign an extension and be available come 2010.

Frankly, I don't see how he's that bad a mix when the team operates much more efficiently with him on the floor than off.

Translation: Be sure to talk to me when you ask around, Daryl.

I am just thinking who these guys are... who benefits if the team actually shops the guy?

11. Shaud

Shaud Member

If they had to choose between Adelman and Yao then Adelman is the one that would go.

Seriously just looked at the thread title and didn't bother reading.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The Campaign to to get YAO to NY with LeBron begins

:rolleyes:

Rocket River

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

This is Typical Media from afar. They don't cover us all Year yet know exactly how the team works. Sorry SI but you guys don't know Ish.

14. nejyh

nejyh Contributing Member

So funny!
    teams around the league are just desperate, because they know
    won't even test seriously the FA market, being too committed to Houston.
    The again, Rick Adelman had more success in Portland and who was that high post shooting big there? Duckworth(rip), Buck Williams?
    This guy can't be serious.

15. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

In other words, complete speculation by random executives talking out their ass under the premise of anonymity and trying to spark controversy that could potentially benefit them. :rolleyes:

16. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Um, yeah right.

Delusional to think anyone, ie Les, would allow trading Yao. He's not just a good person, good player and hard worker. He's a direct route to Chinese marketing.

Adelman on the other hand has been fired before.

I know JVG had his faults, but I still miss him.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

The Rockets won't shop him, but there is nothing wrong with them listening to offers.

DD

18. nejyh

nejyh Contributing Member

Totally agree.

19. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

Pick any Western or Eastern Conference Scout/GM:

"Yeah, Yao is a bad fit for Houston(brings too much money for them). He should come to our Western/Easern Conference team where he would be a much better fit for our team(budget). I can't see them succeeding with him in that system."

Whatever :rolleyes:

20. yaoluv

yaoluv Member

Did Adelman's mom write this article?