1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shut down Harden and tank

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealist137, Dec 20, 2018.

1. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

yea how about try giving harden realistic minutes

2. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

There was that 5 year period or so where Wade would hit the ground about 3-6 times a game so freaking hard. His miles are nothing like Harden's.

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I really don't understand you. I'm making a prediction and you're asking for proof of my prediction. There is no proof of predictions. There's reasoning, I gave my reasoning and you clearly disagree with it. I strongly disagree with you assessment too. I don't even agree with the comparison with Ginobili. We are talking about physical fitness decline and you're comparing a guy who averaged 20 minutes a game (never more than 31 minutes) and averaged 4 trips to the line to James Harden. Not to mention Ginobody carried very little weight on his knees and Harden is the opposite. I don't understand how you are reasoning that because they play similarly that these two will run out of gas the same way. But I'm not out here asking you for proof of a future prediction. I understand what a prediction is.

4. HP3

HP3 Member

Evidence or reasoning? You know, logical things which back up your predictions...come on man, im not trying to be antagonistic towards you. That's fine, I just think its really crazy that you think that way without solid reasoning as I think you are a reasonable guy but fine whatever. I compare them because their games are more similar then Wade(who's had multiple knee injuries lol) and Harden who are waaaaay more different than Ginobli and Harden. The minutes thing is a fair argument and I he may not play as long as Ginobli BUT given the way he plays(he doesnt really rely on athleticism as much as other superstars) as well as BEING 99th PERCENTILE in declaration I think he'll be good well into his mid thirties(changing that because of what you said about minutes). And all this knee talk is well looool, cmon he's never had knee problems in his career and he's pretty much been an iron, all this knee talk is bogus to me. He's not Lebron, but I dont see a drop off for a lil bit, especially for a player as unique as Harden.

Also , btw from your other post Harden, where is this Explosive ness from Harden that you speak of?

5. BigBum

BigBum Member

Tanking will become a habit like Bulls and Suns.

Paul is going to pull a hammy again each 13 games play next season.

Tanking next season?

6. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

It's basically pointless to tank with the new rules so why anger your fans, partners and sponsors? It's like you were presented an IQ test and couldn't even separate squares from circles.

7. Mathloom

Supporting Member

You disagree and that's cool. I unabashedly stand by it. After carrying more weight on his shoulders than any other NBA player, going to the line 10 times a game for 6 seasons, not being in elite shape while doing it, something has to give. This is the nature of physical fitness. There are exceptions where the players are in insane shape and get in even better shape as they enter their 30's (i.e. Lebron James) but Harden is not that guy.

Deceleration is athleticism btw. It requires a tremendous amount of - for lack of better word - reverse explosion type of pressure on the knee and hamstring.

He will be very good at other things always (even passing which we haven't mentioned), but the root of Harden's game is the 10 FTA per game. Everything is heavily dependent on that in the same way that everything Curry does is dependent on his 3pt ability. Everything you're describing does apply to Curry's game, but it is different in Harden's case. Harden's driving game opens everything else up for him, and covers for his defense. I think you're not in agreement about this central part of my reasoning, that the free throws are central. It's ok. We've both made our arguments and don't agree. Let's see how it goes, and I hope to god you are right and I'm wrong, but I wouldn't bet on it.

HP3, bmelo and daywalker02 like this.
  8. HP3

HP3 Member

And that's fine. What do you mean not being in elite shape? Do you think he's not in shape relative to his peers or relative to Lebron cause that is different. Yea 2015-2016 was not the norm and he definitely had to play himself into shape. But Harden is definitely in elite shape(despite the fat jokes). Harden has noted as a notorious gym rat, even by CP who mentioned he lives in the gym. The way he moves and how strong he is you dont get without being in elite shape imo. Yea he's not Lebron but no one is.

Yea the hamstring could be a problem later on but he's never had any knee problems in his career and I dont expect them unless by some freak accident. You are right it is athleticism but also Harden as ive said before is 99th percentile in deceleration. When he has his decline(which i highly doubt will be fast) he will be largely better than everyone in the nba at it and will still be able to get by his man imo.

Alright, fair enough we can stop here, you are right we've already reached our fundamental disagreement.

9. Mathloom

Supporting Member

He is not in the elite of professional athletes, like Lebron. He's not in bad shape. He's in good enough shape to do what he does. He is not in the kind of shape that buys you years at the end of your career.

Simultaneously, he absorbs more damage than almost everyone in the NBA and that's for 6 consecutive years in addition to playing the most minutes. Which is more than what elite athletes like Lebron absorb.

He's on the worse end of both those things. I know right now that even if this materializes, you'll call it a coincidence and injuries happen and all this stuff. For me, it's plain as day. What would be a statistical anomaly is if nothing happens and he has the most durable career of any player in NBA history. That would literally be miraculous. We shouldn't be out here betting on a miracle.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think Harden might have that luck to avoid major injuries, couple of minor nagging ones excluded.

Won't bet on it but would not be astonishing.

11. dmoneybangbang

Tanking for one season in the Rocket's situation is a pretty reasonable move but it's a moot point if ownership prefers playoffs/14th seed.

12. HP3

HP3 Member

How do you know this? Like what makes you say this? I know he doesnt look built like Lebron but that's not his body type. And Lebron should not be the only comparison imo.

Sure if he plays the minutes like he does, anyone's body would break down. But there is no reason to believe anyone will be playing Harden that many minutes at age 33(and yes Im assuming Dantoni or whoever will be smart enough to know that).

Anyone playing the amount of minutes he has would get injured, it has nothing to do with a decline though. The fact is, I dont think his skills will dimnish until mid thirties. There are plenty of guys who play physical in this league who were still effective in their old age.

13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

How's that do the franchise or its fans any good?! We get to watch him go win a title somewhere else …. like the last time we traded an MVP ? You aren't going to get fair value for a superstar.
    Then we have to hope like hell we get the #1 pick in the lottery and hope like hell the year we get it there is a player worth the years of losing ...and hope like hell that they pick the right guy.

I'm not down with trading away MVP's …. unless they are clearly in decline.

They are probably going to tank without trying to tank without CP3 …. they have lost to the worst teams in the league without him , now we're looking at the trade deadline before he's back …. they could be buried in the standings by then.

14. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I know that, despite his body type, he carries more weight than the average person with that body type. That's an easy one.

Minutes have to do with decline His skills won't diminish. His ability to do what he wants will.

15. Mathloom

Supporting Member

If it's anyone, it would be Harden. But again, it's moronic for an organization to bet on something like that. Best to look at it as a bonus.

16. SkareKrow

SkareKrow Member

I dont think tanking is an option, but I definantly wouldnt trade a 1st round pick to only get marginally better and still not win a title.

17. HP3

HP3 Member

Yea but it's never effected his knees before? You would think he would have some kind of knee injury before but he hasn't. In fact even last year when he had his hamstring injury it was some freak accident. So we'll see time will tell but I'm not sure extra worried about Harden declining after 32.

Time will tell. It's not like he can't get reduced minutes

18. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member

Now that I can see but shutting someone down to me meant they are done. They would have to fake a harden injury and he would have to play along which he probably wouldn’t do,

19. swordghost

swordghost Member

Jim Butler on the market - **** depth let’s get him at whatever cost and fill roster with vet min

No star available - you can’t just rely on star power we need DEPTH!

Hard to please you guys

20. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Can R.C Buford be the Rockets G.M. at least he knows how to Draft and Develop, and knows how select the right Coach.