1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shut down Harden and tank

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealist137, Dec 20, 2018.

1. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

In the past, OP has advocated for tanking to get Andrew Wiggins, Andre Drummond, and Nerlens Noel.

For some reason he just really wants to see the team bottom out.

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

yikes

that just illustrates why I hate tank talk and why that strategy is pretty much a crapshoot...look at the names OP was putting his faith in

I’ll stick with trying to win with Harden

cbs1507, BigMaloe, roslolian and 4 others like this.
  3. aliadiere25

aliadiere25 Member

Tank to the future.

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Haha, great find @dharocks

5. Sajan

Sajan Member

LOL.

Must be a dynasty in the G league because that team is not winning a single NBA game.

Time to add OP to ignore list. I have seen enough.

6. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Lol at trying to paint speculative posts from 2012 against me. At that time Noel was seen as a top prospect and Wiggins was a generational talent. No different from the thinking that Zion is going to be a game changing player right now.

7. Reeko

Reeko Member

Noel was seen as a top prospect and Wiggins was a generational talent, yet look how they turned out...

keep putting your hopes in lotto tickets...lmao

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Is there any other dude than Zion because Zion might disappoint too..... just saying there is a chance.

jcf likes this.
  9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I trust Morey's talent evaluation skills over yours. There are tons more posts from virtually every year in which you advocate tanking. Heck, you constantly suggest it for the Texans as well.

jcf and Lawlruschang like this.
  10. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Do you not even realize just how over the top and silly this thread is? It was waaaay over the top the day it was posted and it's just ridiculous now. It's like you took the situation to a very, very low place and it just kept on feeding on itself until in your thought process the rockets world was literally over and blow up the team. You have gone down this path repeatedly.

11. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

I think you just proved the point. Zion could be the next Andrew Wiggins. So tanking a season (wasting a season of Harden’s prime) for an inknown commodity is not smart.

BigMaloe, jcf, Lawlruschang and 2 others like this.
  12. biff17

biff17 Member

yes you are an idiot if you think tanking is ever a good idea when you have Harden.

How has tanking gone for anybody not named the Sixers, they still had to trade for butler anand the jury is still out.

If Luv and Green could flourish on a Dantoni team why could not House do the same?

Also if you remember the team that Harden had in 2015 why don't you think he could have done the same with this team?

13. biff17

biff17 Member

yes you are an idiot if you think tanking is ever a good idea when you have Harden.

How has tanking gone for anybody not named the Sixers, they still had to trade for butler anand the jury is still out.

If Luv and Green could flourish on a Dantoni team why could not House do the same?

Also if you remember the team that Harden had in 2015 why don't you think he could have done the same with this team?

Lawlruschang likes this.
  14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

How has tanking gone for anybody not named the 76ers ? Just look at the image below.

Both of those trophies are the result of tanking …. with a superstar on the roster (Ralph) which resulted in picking another superstar … Dream.

[​IMG]

This team was woefully underperforming earlier in the year , appeared they were destined for the lottery or an early playoff exit.

Those of us who have been watching this team since Morey took over know how difficult it is to acquire quality talent drafting in the 12-15 range …. constantly hovering around .500.
    It was a miracle that Morey was able to pry Harden away from OKC and a major miracle that Harden developed into an MVP.

We probably wont be able to replicate that talent acquisition ….

Harden's playing out of his mind right now , for this team to win , he has to play this well …. any drop off in production from Harden and this team has little talent elsewhere to support winning.

Going 9-1 over this recent stretch they are playing well above the talent level of this roster.

You shouldn't call people idiots over a difference of opinion , especially one that at the time was justifiable , its just rude and lacking character if you cant simply agree to disagree with people who are just as fanatic about this team as you. I've probably been watching this team since before you were a dribble running own your daddy's leg. We all want the same thing …. trophies.

Right now you feel like you are justified …. because they are winning. But what happens if they miss the playoffs ? Or if they get bounced in the first round ? Then suddenly the shoe is on the other foot …. Someone else will be telling you how we wasted an opportunity to acquire quality talent under team control …. in lieu of a first round exit.

15. riko

riko Member

When will people learn that Harden can carry even a lottery bound team to the playoffs? Remember a team of Pappanikola, Nick Johnson,Tarik Black and other trash he carried to the second seed in the west and only a trendsetting Warriors with way more talent finished first

#195 riko, Dec 30, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  16. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

This whole tanking thing is not going well. OMG, when are they going to start losing?!

17. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

While I agree with what your saying.

It also shows that trading an mvp in his prime and tanking for the future is a bad idea and it’s why teams try to exhaust every avenue to keep these top talents.

Realistically the only players drafted over the last 6 years that have any Shot of being in Hardens class as a player is AD Giannis and embiid.

And imo Giannis is the only one legitimately showing me he can be a guy who can put his team on his back and win 50+ games a year.

I like AD and would love him paired with Harden but Ive seen enough from him and think he’s just the new Kevin Garnet.

Great player mvp talent but something is missing and he won’t have real team success until he goes and plays with another star player who might not be as talented as him but is the leader and guy who has the ball in pressure situations like Paul pierce did in Boston.

He’s just not a winner he’s a stat stuffer.

Embiid the jury is out he’s huge and has it all but he’s only played ball consistently for 2 years now so who knows but I do like what I see.

18. biff17

biff17 Member

Dude if you think those trophies were a result of tanking I will just have to ignore you from now on.

Also the key difference between tanking them know is a little thing called the lottery.D

I bet you also think Zion is a franchise type player.

19. Lawlruschang

Lawlruschang Member

the whole point that you missed is that those pre-draft projections are often totally wrong

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  20. Lawlruschang

Lawlruschang Member

last 15 1st picks:
    Dwight
    Bogut
    Bargnani
    Oden
    Rose
    Griffin
    Wall
    Irving
    AD
    Bennett
    Wiggins
    KAT
    Simmons
    Fultz
    Ayton

it's almost as if OP never went back and realized that we could've had the last 15 FIRST picks in the draft and would still never get a player as good as harden (we will see with Simmons and Ayton, but unlikely)

5 years before that: Lebron, Yao, Kwame Brown, Kenyon Martin, Elton Brand

so 1 of the past 20 picks would give you a player better than harden. and that player didn't make the finals until season #7