1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Shout out to the NY misfits

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hikanoo49, Mar 7, 2004.

1. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

I have to say that I have been EXTREMELY pleased with the performance of Mark Jackson and most recently Clarence Weatherspoon. At first, I just thought Spoon would be more valuable as a mentor type player but he has recently shown that he still has quite a bit of game and can definitely help our team.
    10 pts and 10 rebs in only 23 minutes is impressive to say the least and the experience of Mark Jackson and Spoon will be greatly needed during our playoff run.

2. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

it's hard to believe we were able to acquire Clarence Weatherspoon at the small price of Moochie Norris. It's proved to be a great pickup so far.

3. tslee98

tslee98 Contributing Member

Yeah. Let's thank Isiah Thomas for that. And let's thank the rest of the Knicks organization for vetoing Thomas' accepted trade of Kurt Thomas for Malik Rose. That would have made the Spurs even more daunting.

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

The Clarence Weatherspoon trade was awesome. Not only did we reduce dead cap space from three years to two years, we pick up a useful player.

I see many posts where posters says "We should not pick up Player X because he's at the end of the bench for crappy team Y". Weatherspoon provide the perfect counterexample for those type of blanket statements. The system is quite important for determining how effective a player can be.

5. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

Spoonman, Save me...

6. haven

haven Member

Spoon has been nice. Mark Jackson has been good in limited situations. At first, he was outstanding. But it's not like the scouting report on him is new: he can't shoot or play defense. His lack of quickness is a real liability.

7. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Plus its fun to yell SPOOOOOOOOOON at the game.

8. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

Spoon just plain ROCKS!!!!

When Spoon first entered the league, people compared him to a mini- Charles Barkley. And he sure plays that way. Even on his missed FGAs today, I really liked his effort and poise. Even the missed dunks were good b/c he was aggressive and attacking the rim. His rebounding has been a HUGE PLUS for the second team and he can nail that mid range jumper when we need him.

But the biggest contribution of all from Spoon is his ENERGY. Everytime Spoon goes out to the floor, you can feel the energy rise. Sure we lose something in size, but Spoon gives a huge lift to our squad on D and on the boards much like MoT does with his shooting.

Gotta love the SPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!

:D

theSAGE

9. PumperX

PumperX Contributing Member

Spoon did a great job today. Big props to him. Keep it up!!

10. annthuyn

annthuyn Member

Did you that follow up dunk by Spoon?!?! :eek:

I didn't think he could jump! esp after Steve tried to throw an alley-oop to him a few games back

:D Go Spooon!

11. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Spoon is exactly like Jimmy Jackson. When Spoon first hit the league he was a MONSTER. A double-double everynight in Philadelphia. Then he was branded as being to short to play PF so he bounced around. Now he has an established role and his talent is starting to show, just like Jackson. Spoon is going to be a very valuable addition to the bench for this year and next.

12. feishen

feishen Member

Now, every team's GM love Knick, they make great trades. ;)

13. haven

haven Member

I remember that. Seemed that once upon a time, he was accounted a great guy and a borderline all-star. Then he just faded away. Guess it shows how special Barkley reall was to do so well at that heighth.

14. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

Absolutely the best move we made this year. Moochie for Spoon. The team is so much better now than at the beginning of the season. Moochie was such a negative every time on the court. Spoon hustles and does the dirty. I dont know if I'd even rather have a guy like Vin Baker to replace him bc he's doing his job so well.

And Mark Jackson is a crappy scorer but notice in the really rough part of the second half when neither team was scoring for like 5 minutes, he pulled up and hit that jumper that kind of got us going again. And he's not afraid to get on Yao when he's doing a bad job getting inlet passes. Veteren leadership from him and Jim Jackson are so important to this team.

15. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

16. Win

Win Contributing Member

Just adding my thumbs up for both guys; but Spoooon has really shown me something. Though different players in style, he reminds me of Mario Ellie - we've need a 'Junkyard Dog'.

17. MFW2310

MFW2310 Contributing Member

Wait a sec, weren't people complainin' when we traded Moochie for Spoon? :rolleyes:

18. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

I'm sure some people did, but the vast majority probably were good with waiting and seeing the results. At the very least, any knowledgable fan knew the value of dumping Mooch, no matter what we got back.

Thats like saying after a Yao 30-10 game when he's getting praised, "Wait a sec, weren't people complainin' when we drafted Yao? :rolleyes: " :D

19. thegame_2234

thegame_2234 Contributing Member

i'm really sad about mooch is in the injured list :(

but life continue:rolleyes: ;)

20. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

some people may have been...but only cause they figgered that Spoon had no game.
    I preferred to wait and see what he could do....and said so at the time.

Just goes to show ya, you never know if someone else's benchwarmer could be a good player for another team.