1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should we trade Shane Battier to give Chase Budinger more playing time?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tmacandyming1, Dec 16, 2009.

1. cheke64

cheke64 Member

This is irritating and exaggerating

" I would like to see Shane retire a Rocket."-knote

My point is he has more downside(offense) than upside(defense). What part of explaining do you need? Tmac hasnt played in a year and outscores and outrebounds shane in 8 minutes.

2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

When yao was out. WHo gave jazz a dogfight? Scola. To me, he set an example to landry and others (not battier). He taught that you dont have to be athletic to be good,rebound,and post.

You can't teach what you can't dont do.

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

The post i quoted had nothing to do with battier. I wanted you to explain why you think Scola made the team who it is.

And how is that an exaggeration? What's so wrong about keeping him until his contract expires and then re-signing him cheap? nothing wrong about that unless we're turning down a good offer just to keep him and as far as i know there hasn't been one.

4. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

Like people said in here, it was only one game and he got lucky with the matchup he got. The guy he was matchup with didn't look to attack him and so he wasn't exposed on the defensive end. Budinger is doing better then expected, but still needs work on his defense before he gets 30-35 mins a game.

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

how is scola going to teach him how to perform when lacking athleticism when landry is athletic?? Almost everyone else on the team is more athletic than scola, he's not teaching anyone how to perform when you're not athletic..

Who do you think has helped Budinger make the transition to the pros on defense?

6. Rock3t Man

Rock3t Man Contributing Member

Tough call, because he is the type of player you stick with and sign just because of his good character and work ethic... putting business aside. But seeing as the Rockets are looking to make a playoff run and fill the seats nothing would spark that more than to raise the offense, by removing the Bat Man.

I really dont know

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

that's this year though...i can't wait until next year to see who posters will dog once yao returns...you know he's going to take shots from players and you know some will jump to conclusions...next year it's going to be "budinger wasnt that great" or "landry sucks now".... fans are quick to want to showcase players this year because of injuries, then next year when things go back to normal they'll wonder what happened..

8. PTH

PTH Member

9. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Coaches want open shots in the flow of the offense. That shot was open as open can be from 12 ft. There is no stat that says a open 24ft er from chase is better than a open 12 from yao. If thats the case, why not just make the paint and free throw line 23'9?

10. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

Battier,Hayes +$ for Kendrick Perkins?

11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Scola taught that athleticness is a luxury so take advantage of it.

Battier now makes elite defenders? I love bud , but he's been that good since he got here. In that case JT and dorsey are going to be elite defenders.

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

coaches want shots that go in, period. i thought just a few posts ago shane was open from "15", but now its down to 12? I remember that play and wouldn't be surprised if shane was actually closer to 18...either way, Yao's a better shooter than Battier from 15 feet in, so what's the point of using him as an example? It wasnt Yao out there last night.

you need to stop viewing this as black and white, you're basically implying you'd rather see chuck shoot a 15 footer than brooks a three pointer because of the difference in distance...it's not that simple. I know you know better than that since you played college ball, but you're just trying to make a point against Battier...

13. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Who said anything about Battier making "elite defenders"? All I implied was he helped chase make the transition from defending in college to defending int he NBA. Chase isn't an elite defender. i don't see how dorsey is even relevant when he's a post/big man defender, so shane's not exactly going to be tutoring him much.

And you say Bud has been good on d since he got here, but chase didn't step off the plane the night before the first preseason game. He had been working with the team, and yes that includes battier, well before we saw him play in pre-season, and he actually was getting beat early pre-season, so he was working with the team for at least 2 months before he finally looked decent.

14. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Hayes doesnt have range past 6ft and u know it. I would make the same complaint if a guy is in his range passes up a wide open shot closer to the hoop for a further shot. The shot was 12-15 max and it was passed up for a 23'9 shot. That was one of many like driving to the basket with a path and looking to pass, not even looking at the rim.Shane does that alot despite the preseason expectations and idea shane would do more cause tracy,yao,wafer,artest are not around. I think he plays offense scared and when you play that way, its detrimental to winning.Horry was traded for passing up open shots and being hesitant.

15. NOIINTEAM

NOIINTEAM Member

Didn't read the posts but my take is that shane is a class act and is an above average defender ,a great help defence . we keep him till he retires

16. wikiwiki

wikiwiki Member

Look, the problem with people that want to trade Shane is that you think real-life basketball is just like your fantasy and video games. Stats are not everything in real life! Shane is one of the last people on this team that I would trade away, he is extremely important for our team chemistry.

It's surprising that fans of a team that is doing extremely well without a single all-star for 20-some games solely because of good chemistry- don't seem to understand there is such a thing.

Question, how would the current rockets team do in your fantasy league? And how are they doing in real-life?

See, Shane is a huge part of that difference. Adelman understands that more than anyone, and that's why you won't see him going anywhere anytime soon.

For the guy who's saying Shane shoots scared- Sod off. Seriously, sod off! Battier hit a left handed hook in the middle of the paint last night along with another big shot from outside.

What Shane does is called waiting for high percentage shots because he knows he's not an all star offensive player. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. And Ariza is not even close to Shane's defensive efficiency. That is a fact. He guards the best players in the league, he prevents them from having insane nights, and he gets very very few fouls.

Not every single player needs to be taking shots and driving to the basket on every possession. You need 2 or 3 guys like that on the court.

17. rterry

rterry Contributing Member

Ditto!

18. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

If battier is to be traded rumors have it's for Andre miller but if rumors are true Brooks or lowry will be packaged. Hopefully if he is traded it's for someone we need because we don't need a pg one that can't shoot especially

19. wikiwiki

wikiwiki Member

lol, wtf are these "rumors"? Have you been taking the media and sportswriters seriously again? tut tut...