1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should we trade Shane Battier to give Chase Budinger more playing time?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tmacandyming1, Dec 16, 2009.

1. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

It actually makes sense for the clipps also. Shane can backup thornton at the 3 and play some with thornton when gordon is playing pg.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

How exactly is Trevor a better player? He can jump higher, but his defense is suspect, his passing is borderline terrible always throwing at teamates knees, and he can't dribble?

I mean, by all means I am not high on Shane, but he is smart, is always in the right place, doesn't REACH for the ball on last second drives by Brandon Roy.....and plays within himself.

Shane maximizes his efficiency, Trevor does not.

I am not saying Shane is a better athlete, good lord no, but he and Trevor are not that far apart as overall basketball players.

DD

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

why does he have to be scared? Can't he just be belimimting himself to what he knows he can do? Is chuck scared because he's not posting up guys?

I dont think how you can really pick one over the other on offense. Just because ariza is trying doesnt mean he's being efficient. He's shooting poorly and taking away shots from more efficient scorers. Is that really any better than you saying Battier isn't scoring enough because he's scared to try? I rather see battier with 4 shots and landry with 20, than trevor with 20 and landry with 10.

Ariza can't be clearly better on D than battier bcause he still has problems on on one. Until he becomes a better man to man defender and gambles less, he won't be better on defense. Right now you could say they are equally different, at most. On offense he needs to be more efficient. Jacking up shots doesnt make anyone better on offense autoomatically.

4. leebigez

It has 0 to do with jumping higher and being the better athlete. Shane is the better defender, but trevor is a good defender and shane is a terrible offenisve player because he plays scared. You cant have everyone playing scared. I can give you example after example and its really just basic basketball. If everyone waited on someone else to make a play or shot, the lakers wouldn't have a ring last yr. Trevor has shown that he will step up on the road and that something shane never does. That alone makes him a better basketball player.

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

its so funny, in the rudy gay arguments, people talk about shane's winning (LOL) so who has a ring on this team?

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

That's not enough to make that trade. By making the trade they limit themselves to battier, who's older than their core group and isnt going to solve their possible depth problem at the 4/5 spots. They also already have Davis behind thornton. If you don't want to pay shane 7 mill to be part of a 4 man rotation at the 2/3 spots, why would they? They have gordon, davis, and thornton. Neither of them suck enough to bench them because Battier is acquired.

And they're likely to lose camby either way, that leaves them with griffin and kaman at the 4/5, but no solid backups behind them. Jordan is still too young and raw. It makes no sense for them to deal for battier.

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i dot see why it's funny. the gay arguments are battier vs gay, this argument is battier vs ariza vs budginer....neither of those are gay vsbattiervs ariza....two separate arguments, separate reasoning.

8. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Shane is not scared, where do you get this stuff....ROFLMAO....

Shane just knows his limitations and plays within them.

DD

9. leebigez

Just as one example of many. Last night, shane had a wide open,but naked shot on the baseline from 14 ft. Instead of taking the wide open, butt naked shot, he passed it out to chase for a 3. That looks unselfish, but that just as selfish as shooting a bad shot because you passed up a uncontested shot in your range in the flow of the offense for a 23'9 shot with the clock churning. I've seen many times this season when shane has gotten baseline and instead of going up, passed the ball all the way out to the 3 pt line. Inside the flow of the offense and inside the comfort zone of a shot, thats not a good basketball play. Thats why i say he plays scared.

I do agree that trevor needs to improve, but the fact that he can improve is a big factor. The point that he's willing to improve is another factor. I agree he should take better shots, no doubt, but every shot you take cant be perfect and wide open. Every player cant wait for someone else to make a play. People like to say, well shane would've won a ring if he was on the lakers. I highly doubt that because he never shows up on the road. those plays trevor made during the critical juncture in the game, on the road when the team was struggling were huge. Those big steals vs denver in the final seconds were huge also. he doesn't play scared and that to me is what makes him a better player going forward. Its easy to see when a moment or situation is too big for players.

10. vjohnson

vjohnson Member

NO No no....battier is the type of guy that makes us who we are. Just like hayes...without those guys we would be the memphis grizzles

11. leebigez

Just watch the game as i think you do and there is a difference between sharing,unselfishness,and scared. Better yet, go to the playoffs on the road. When you have a butt naked baseline 15 ft er and you pass it up to a rookie from 23'9, how is that limitations?

12. DaDakota

Supporting Member

There are times he passes up shots, but that doesn't make him scared, he knows that Chase is a better shooter than he is, and maybe he felt it was the right decision.

Now if you are going to say that Shane doesn't always make the right decision I am right there with you, I think he should shoot more and post up more......

But, to say he is scared, I just don't see it.....

Sometimes I see some of our young guys pulling the trigger tenatively, especially Lowry on the perimeter, but I think that is just part of being young.

DD

13. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

Couldn't have said it better. I agree.

14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Have you considered the fact that maybe with shane instead o trevor LA would be better defensively throughout a game and therefore may not be in those critical situations late in the game? I think that could be possible. Steals are great, the 2 or 3 trevor gets a game and show up on sportscenter are great. What's not great is the other 5-6 times he reached, missed, and therefore was out of position defensively. We saw that in ron last year also.

As for the budinger shot, wasnt it just posted how 3 point shots actually aren't always low percentage in this offense? It actually may raise the efficiency of that posession. Battier may have been open, but so was budinger, he was asking for the pass, ready for it, so the clock winding down would be irrelevant. It didnt appear he had to rush his shot due to the clock, it wasn't like Battier dumped it to him unexpectedly with Budinger not ready to shoot. Plus, battier's shot wasn't at a good angle, bud's was almost straight on, that also affects %.

15. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

They wouldn't trade Shane for a 2nd-tier all star because there's only one Mr. intagibles in the league while almost every team has a 2nd-tier all star. It has to be a Lebron caliber player. ;)

16. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Didnt rip light his ass up, besides he always gets outscored. His opponent always plays better defense than him.

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

This why these arguments are irritating, so many exaggerations just to try and prove a point...since when are 21 pts on 22 shots lighting someone up?? no free throw attempts, meaning there wasn't much one on one moves, mostly coming off of picks, so again, how is that lighting up that specific defender?

18. cheke64

cheke64 Member

We became who we are when scola got here.

19. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Shane's ability to coach the mental aspect of the game is very underrated. We really underestimate what support he provides to Ariza, Tmac, Budinger, etc.. Also, his help defense is invaluable.

I did give grief to Shane for his lack of O. However, his locker room, bench, training younger pros, and D on the court is way too much to give up. Unless someone is going for the Okie doke move. Like Bosh for Scola and Battier.

20. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

can you explain that further?