1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should we trade Shane Battier to give Chase Budinger more playing time?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tmacandyming1, Dec 16, 2009.

1. PeppermintCandy

I agree. Some posters are making too much of how many minutes Budinger is getting or if he's starting, etc. They get excited about Chase's talent and potential and want to hand him the keys to the car before he's ready.

IMO it's better for rookies to get limited minutes that are controlled and well-coached and then gradually receive more minutes and more responsibilities. It allows them to learn how to play the "right way" and avoids overwhelming them by giving too much, too soon. Giving Chase starter's minutes before he is fully ready can be detrimental to his development in the long term.

This ability to develop younger players is something that really impresses me about Adelman. He seems to know not only how to put each player in roles that allows him to succeed, but also recognizes that certain limits need to be set for him as well.

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

given the way battier has played this season you still think there's plenty of tread left?

3. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Although Shane is quite valuable to our team, his age and inconsistant performances of late seem to show the possibility that he is on the downside of his career and the opportunity to trade him now or in the near future may be our last chance of gaining full value for him.
    If we had a chance of Bosh I would be moving Scola & Battier as players of value to gain a single player who is much better than either of them.
    Morey has a plan and I go along with it. Morey is building a team of players who work well together and have chemistry. Go Rockets - Go T Mac :p

4. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Dumping battier will open up capspace to allow the rockets to run at someone if they choose.

Rasul Butler,Jordan,and Collins

for shane and dorsey

Butler makes 3.9 and expires this season as do collins and his 1.8. Jordan only makes 800k. just on sheer numbers, 3.9 + 1.8=5.7. If the rockets let tracy,butler,and collins walk, thats basically 13m they will have to use. Butler can play backup to ariza and chase this yr and jordan can play with hayes. Tracy can be traded,bought out or whatever. Rasula is a pretty good player, great guy and will accept any role offered to him. So even if for some reason they want to keep tracy,butler,ariza,and chase, tracy can knock 30,ariza 30,chase 20,and butler 16. The team would still have depth and have flexibility.

5. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

I agree with you completely! Except for the last paragraph, because if that was true why is he expecting so much from Ariza? Ariza should be learning just like Budinger with controled playing time! :p

6. mrfirefly7

mrfirefly7 Member

They traded Rafer because they could get Lowery from Memphis. If they did not get any value back from the trade, Rockets would not have done it. Brooks getting mins is just a byproduct from the trade.

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

He's playing better, but he's not better than both already. That's quite a stretch. He's been protected on D by usually nothaving to guard the tougher wing player, yes he's been solid with whoever he's had to guard, but once you get rid of battier you'll start to see budinger having more problems on D.

We also have to wait and see if he hits a rookie wall. It wouldnt be the first time a rookie started well, only to fade later in the year. Even if he turns out to be a good player later, the long NBA season may affect him this year.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Ariza - such an enigma, he does not have anything more than role player skills.

And honestly he is not as sharp basketball wise as CBud and Shane.

Right now, the Rockets best starting lineup would be Shane and Chase.....

With Trevor coming off the bench...but that is not going to happen, is it?

But see that is the beauty of having Shane and Cbud, or Trevor and Cbud....you have a contrast......one is better on Offense and rebounding, the other is better on defense.

Nothing wrong with that, many good offensive players avoid the tougher defensive matchup.

DD

9. leebigez

Please tell me the benefit of shane starting over ariza when he's a 0 on offense

10. raj87

raj87 Member

Rather than Chase Budinger, Trevor Ariza is the more likely candidate to be traded. Kindly note that Marcin Gortat is the player that can assist the Rockets in achieving their wildest dreams. Gortat is a 7 foot who can alter field goal attempts and secure rebounds associated with opponent's errant field goal and foul shot attempts.

Furthermore, Trevor Ariza's departure will provide a vacant conduit for Chase Budinger and Tracy McGrady to receive more playing minutes.

11. raj87

raj87 Member

Please forgive my mistake, hence corrected. :grin:

12. DaDakota

Supporting Member

He is a much better team defender and spot up shooter, and is a better dribbler and passer.

Shane fits into that Bruce Bowen role......

DD

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Shane's a better dribbler than Ariza? I don't know if I agree with that. They're both pretty poor, but Shane masks it by not overextending himself.

14. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Well that alone makes him better at it....he doesn't turn it over as much, he is a much smarter player than Trevor......

Honestly, if we had not just signed Ariza, I would be more than interested in trading him....I don't think he has the skills to ever be much more than he is now.

DD

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

yeah that's great and all, but like i said, teams want expirings back this year, not give them away. It takes two to tango and It's easier said than done. We can dream about trading shane for whoever, but if it doesnt make sense for the other team then it'll always be a dream.

16. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Shane is too rare to trade away. One of a kinda guy.

17. PeppermintCandy

Ariza's young but in terms of experience, he's at a different level than Budinger obviously. I think Adelman's relied on Ariza out of necessity early in the season, but I think his playing time will be reduced to a more manageable amount as the season wears on.

18. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I really think Shane is and can continue to be an important part of Chase's development as a defensive player.

19. josh_is_white

josh_is_white Member

i love battier but i do believe we should trade him n give c-bud more time he proved he can hang as a starter

20. leebigez

Trevor is a better player than shane. Thats not a dramatic overstatment either. Neither are great, but shane plays scared. I can live with ariza trying vs a guy playing scared. Ariza is also 24 and has a ring just in case someone wants to bring that whole "winners" thing into it.