1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should we trade Shane Battier to give Chase Budinger more playing time?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tmacandyming1, Dec 16, 2009.

1. tmacandyming1

tmacandyming1 Member

Chase showed me alot against the Pistons. I wasn't sure if he can handle a starters role but he seemed real confident out there. I say we should really trade Shane because now that our 24 million dollar man is back, playing time for him would get thinner but if we trade Shane he should see a alot of playing time. I say it could similar of how we traded Rafer so we can give AB more playing time and that has worked out well. We can do the same thing for Chase and when Tmac is a FA next season he could be in the starting lineup. Any thoughts?

2. halfling131

halfling131 Member

You will miss Battier when trying to defend elite wing players. Plus the intangible "veteran" quality is good for the team too.

3. Hball

Hball Member

I honestly think rockets may consider that, like last year when they traded rafer so brooks could start.

4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would like to see Shane retire a Rocket.

These rookies will develop into far better players with him around...

5. ShiniKashi

ShiniKashi Member

OMG ONE GAME

6. warmshizzle

warmshizzle Member

I honestly think Battier is going to stay on this team through this year, I don't see Morey finding a trade he likes for Battier.
    My guess is that he plays through this year and the next at about 27mins a game with the rockets, then he signs maybe a 4m/year type deal with us cause the rest of the league doesnt think he produces enough per game for more than that.

7. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Yes, Battier should be traded. Battier and Taylor for Camby or Biedrins both work. If the Rockets are going to keep him, he should go to the bench where he belongs and play no more than 20 mpg. Since this is a year dedicated to development, Bundinger should start and play 30 mpg. The unfortunate part about Shane is that, as a player, he is a depreciating asset that is overpaid. His play on the court, his health, and his athleticism (what little he had) are all on the decline. While his delusional supporters argue that he should only be traded for an all-star, I was surprised we were allegedly offered a player of Andre Miller's caliber for him. It's too bad Miller doesn't fit in with Houston. I'm afraid that Battier's highest value will comes as a $7.3 million dollar expiring contract next year.

8. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Shane is too valuable to be traded. Stop it already, all you dreamers ... He's the defensive coach on the floor, and he's even training the rookies. You think anyone else on our team can do a decent job defending the likes of Kobe and Lebron and Roy? I think that after his playing career, the Rockets will hire Shane to be on their coaching staff.

9. foo82

foo82 Member

This is stupid. You want to trade away a player on our rotation for what? So he can give another player some more time? You do realize that person we trade for will also get playing time. And guess what, most likely it will still be Budinger's minutes that will be cut as a result of that trade.

10. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I'd rather trade Ariza at this point. Not as good defensively...may have more talent on the offensive end but is so ineffecient right now is killin us.

11. windz

windz Member

how is ariza killing us? rockets is 13-10 with him in the lineup playing 38-40 mins per game.

remember this team is out performing expectations without yao and tmac.

12. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

He is shooting 17 shots a game at 38%, 3 FTA with 3.4 assists, 2.6 turnovers.

McGrady, last year at his worst, taking 14 shots at 39%, 4.5 FTA, 5 assists, 2 TO.

He just flat out doesnt fit his current role. Battier is just a better player at this point. Unless he is being groomed to be Shane's eventual replacement, he is the weak link on the team.

13. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Do you really consider T-mac a Rocket for the rest of the year? Do you think MAC will defend the best player on the other team when Ariza is out?

Do you think C-Bud is consistent enough? If I were a Gummy Bear, what part of me would you eat first?

What do you think we can get for Shane that would allow us to let Chase develope? Andre Miller, eh...

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I'm not a Battier guy
    but I think he should stay.
    1. You won't get nothing in return for him worth value IMO
    2. I think he got 2~3 more years anyway at most
    3. he is a positive in the locker room.
    3. HE can mentor the younger players

Rocket River

15. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

I was thinking along the same lines that the guy that should be worrying about losing his starters job is Ariza not Battier after watching CBud yesterday. The kid showed me more in one game than Ariza has shown me all year. I'm really interested on how the pairing of TMac and Budinger would work, we probably need a better balance of defense but I would love to see those two guys on the floor at the same time.

16. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

Nothing of value will you get in return with a declining one-dimensional player. Mistake has been made so I guess we should move on and not think about it. Ariza/Budinger are the answer. :cool:

17. ACL1

ACL1 Member

No... We should trade Ariza to give chase a chance

18. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

wow, ariza scoring 27 points plus assists and rebounds last week was not showing enough? :rolleyes:

19. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I would trade Battier to improve the team but not just to make room for Chase to start. Chase is still a rookie and will have nights (as we have seen) where nothing works. Like AB and Landry, Chase will get more and more consistent over the next couple of years.

And the best reason for not trading Battier is depth. Right now we have Ariz, Battier and Chase at the 2/3 spots with Lowery doing spot duty at the 2 to take up the slack. Bring in another 2 (Von Wafer) or convince me that TMac is ready (and serious about playing with heart) and I would have no problem trading Battier. Of course any trade would have to be something to improve the team and not just something to clear space.

20. wikiwiki

wikiwiki Member

Coach stated in the interview last night what he thinks, and I think it is the right play moving forward. He basically said, as T-Mac builds up to more playing time, Ariza and Battier won't have to put in as many minutes.

This is the smartest move, especially w/ regards to Battier IMO. I definitely don't think he should be traded. Just producing on offense is not the most important thing. If we make a deep run in the playoffs, guys like Battier are ESSENTIAL for getting the team through rough spots. He's already done a lot this season smoothing over the "controversies" that the media's been inventing.

He's also extremely smart, and one of the best defenders especially on some of the most elite players in the league.

He basically sucks in producing offense- he can have a good night where he lights up the 3, but the fact is, being good offensively means being able to step up on a bad night and knock down shots under pressure- he definitely cannot do that.

W/ T-mac back, he and ariza are excellent guys to have around when we need to slow down an opposing superstar player, but we don't NEED them to produce offensively so that weak part of their game is not a drawback.

1 person likes this.