1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should we trade Asik?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Play07

Play07 Member

i wouldnt do it harden,LMA,, howard not enough touches to go around

2. Normalus

Normalus Member

It's not even a quastion. His salary is just too much for us next year, he would be traded either for PF with expiring contract, or first rounder.

Same with Jeremy, 15M/year = too much for backup PG, or backup C.

3. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

Can we trade the OP for the thread...you was loving him last year...this is not nba 2k14. Let me call Daryl and see what he can do...GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

what are you talking about they make $8/year

5. nono

nono Member

Let's just go for Al Horford. We might be even able to make a straight swap.

6. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

I don't see an Asik trade anytime soon.

48 minutes of Howard + Asik D on the floor is way too valuable.

Rockets get blown away at the deadline then they'll trade him otherwise I'd expect a deal next summer

7. Normalus

Normalus Member

8. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

This has been explained a bunch, but the cap hit is $8.3M on average. Lin and Asik both made $5M in 2012-13, will make $5M this year and will make $15M next year.

The cap hit ($8.3M) is what matters for trade purposes, but the salary still has to be paid by the receiving team.

9. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

I have to agree with DD on this Asik doesn't fit and the sad part is... He looks as if he's not trying to fit.

Asik looks lost on the floor and he looks even slower than ever before... he just doesn't look or act like a happy player.

T_Man

10. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Casspi isn't a true PF, but he's bigger and stronger than what he looks like on tv. He held his own against Griffin and wasn't being pushed around, unlike Parsons. Griffin couldn't stay with Casspi at the 3pt line and he drove right past him when Griffin tried to close in on him.

11. Braunatron

Braunatron Member

I agree, I think he looked fine going up against Blake. Don't know if that's good defense or Blakes complete lack of a post game though. I think we can absolutely get away with a starting lineup with Casspi at the 4 against most teams.

And against the bigger teams I would honestly rather have Greg Smith start over Omer. He brings about the same amount of offense, less defense, but runs the court better and is more active in general. At least while his shoes are tied...

12. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Weirdly, I don't want to trade him now that Cassipi appears to be the exact type of PF we need. The only problem is how coach convinces Asik to play backup center.

I think Asik can play 16 minutes at minimum off bench to keep Dwight fresh. In a lot of scenario's he can play more:

1)Against teams like Grizzlies, Asik should start with heavy minutes;
    2)When Dwight is injured or in foul trouble, Asik should play more;
    3)In minutes TT plays well for whatever reason, Asik can play more;

Account for above scenario's, Asik can actually average more than 20 MPG as backup center.

13. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

It's been 4 games. Let's all calm down.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Good to know Clutch.

So, then I would ask if the team would be willing to move Asik to the bench instead of start him to help them get off to faster starts?

Or, do you think they would ride it out to keep Asik happy and engaged with playing time, and just do the best they can in the meantime?

With Howard and Asik on the court, it effects everyone on the team on offense, Parsons and Harden have no avenues to drive - nor does Lin, the lane is crowded, and we struggle to score.

At least that is how I see it, and on defense, neither Howard nor Asik can guard a midrange or deeper shooting PF, which most teams have these days....

It just looks to me, well - awful - and when one goes to the bench, the chemistry soars.

DD

15. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

This mentality that we have to get our players to "buy" in to a certain role is ludicrous. If your boss says you're coming off the bench, then you're coming off the bench.

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Why not just put this as your signature so you don't have to repeat it ad nauseum in every thread? Trading Asik now makes poor basketball and business sense.

And it was just ONE game. The TT experiment is far from over, especially after just 4 games. Your reasons for abandoning the experiment are weak, Asik is a much better player than either D-Mo or Jones at this point. Both guys have to earn playing time, not expect a handout. Asik has earned his playing time. He is one of the top 5 players on the team currently.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

It is not one game, they have struggled together in every game.

As for trading him now - you are correct, maybe we don't need to move him just yet - and wait for a better deal, but I am hoping for HC advantage throughout the playoffs, so would like the team to gel a little earlier than later.

Just my .02.....but noted on the every thread bit...

Thanks,

DD

1 person likes this.
  18. tonyteetime

tonyteetime Member

I like asik, but yes sadly I agreee with you.

19. JBar

JBar Rookie

They only have to play them together 15 minutes or so to give Asik decent minutes. But they don't need to start Asik. They should adjust the rotations for the best matchups.

20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Which reinforces Asik's wanting to be elsewhere, and leaving in 2015 with no compensation for the Rockets.