1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should we trade Asik?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Nov 5, 2013.

1. BruceWayne

BruceWayne Member

If we can get an elite perimeter defender and a solid backup C, then absolutely.

2. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Nice. Great point. Unless we can get a big upgrade from Casspi (extremely doubtful), I don't see a reason to even consider moving Asik. Asik is too valuable defensively and on the boards. Having two legit bigs also allows for injuries and foul trouble. If you are the only one on the entire 15 man roster who can play interior defense and man the middle, it is alot of extra mental and physical pressure on you. There are also going to be games when you need to be the enforcer and take the risk of getting a few extra fouls and even getting tossed on technicals to make a statement in the playoffs.

OP--your thought is good in theory, but we've got to give it more than 4 games. Big guys are not only more brittle but also take longer than small guys to gel anyway, and on top of it Asik wasn't even fully healthy during preseason (plus it seems that Howard is still working his way back to 100%).

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

pretty much sums it up. until then Asik isnt going anywhere people. relax

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Long term the Asik-Dwight cannot work. So you keep Asik until a good offer emerges.

It seems to me (and SVG) that this is the Rockets' very obvious strategy.

5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

don't we have to hold onto him until durant demands a trade to houston :confused:

6. finsraider

finsraider Member

Let's look at our lineup assuming the Twin Towers is kiboshed.

Beverley / Lin
    Harden / Brooks
    Parsons / Garcia
    Casspi / Garcia
    Howard / Asik

So you trade Asik for a guy like Millsap, Ilyasova, or Anderson. Casspi gets less minutes, and you've destroyed your bench defense. In the case of Ilyasova and Anderson, both of whom are signed through 2015-2016, you've eliminated yourself from the LMA/Love sweepstakes.

Millsap allows you to go after LMA and Love in 2015, but you would need a 12-15 min/game center coming back. I don't think a trade for Millsap can happen until December, since he was just signed.

Anyways, it's easy to see why Morey hasn't done anything yet.

7. SK34

SK34 Member

Should we trade him?

Depends on what we can get for him.

We obviously need a Pf in exchange but we also need a solid back up center.

If we can trade Asik straight up for a Pf. Who can we trade for a back up C? And no smith doesn't provide the defense necessary when Howard will be out.

The only way you trade Asik is if we don't lose Garcia, Casspi, and parsons.
    We have 4 PGs, it doesn't matter who we trade out of them. Brewer could be valuable to some other teams (although we should use him cause harden plays no d).

8. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I'd take Milsap. Don't know how willing of a trade partner Atlanta will be, considering they just signed him.

Playing Howard, the best C in the league, only 24 minutes a game would just be silly. Until we trade Asik, I'd have him back up Howard for about 10-15 minutes a game. Start Casspi and have Smith back up Casspi.

Agree. I'd rather have Casspi start with Howard instead of TT.

9. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

I've never really felt playing Asik and Howard would work long term, but what scares me about the other bigs is lack of consistent defense. It was good Smith came with a good effort last night because I was down on him. But again, consistency is the key. Rox are trying to contend and if they trade Asik, if they don't get a very good big who can also play adequate defense, it probably won't make the team that much better because as soon as the second unit comes in, whatever lead the starters but up will be lost with lack of defense/rebounding with second unit. I do feel McHale should ease Jones or Dmo back into the rotation some as well to get a better feel if they can give you something to improve the spacing out there. Casspi is good but you can't depend on him to consistently bang with other 4s, Parsons either.

10. Play07

Play07 Member

thanks for reply but think u read it wrong, I never said trade asik now, was saying a solid PF (not a super star) would be good and we could keep asik.

see my post on how morey should have got antawn jamison this summer on vet min. that way we could have kept asik a a (BACKUP ) JAMISON could have played the back up pf spot 10-15 mins a game with asik as back up center and TT only when u needed to throw it on the court to close out a game

11. yunac010

yunac010 Member

I don't think we need to trade him, but he shouldn't be starting anymore. I know we're trying to keep Asik happy but not at the expense of the team starting games slow. Against teams like the Bobcats or Jazz we have enough talent to overcome the 1st quarter deficit, but not against the stronger teams.

12. rocketblood713

I know it looks like I doesn't work right now but sounds like no one want to give a chance to work though don't yall think the more they play together they will start to figure it out ?

13. mario_v

mario_v Member

Not that I want Milsap but Al Horford has made it known that he NEEDS a true Center. He's bee quite vocal about never playing along side a true Center. He's tired of playing center on the team, he's more of a power forward.

The Hawks would make an ideal trading partner for the rockets. Although, I am not a fan of Milsap, nor do I think we need him at his contract.

14. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

I like having good interior defense and rebounding the entire game, but the Rockets play better with either Dwight or Asik on the floor. Asik needs to come off the bench, but he doesn't want to and that's the problem. So eventually the Rockets will have to trade him whether we like it or not b/c he doesn't want to accept a backup role.

15. finsraider

finsraider Member

Tieing a few things together, if I'm Morey I'm waiting to see how the Okafor thing works out. If he can play, and PHX cuts him...then you see if he's willing to take our room exception. If he does, you trade Asik to Atlanta for Millsap (who will almost certainly accept this deal).

Beverley / Lin
    Harden / Brooks
    Parsons / Garcia
    Millsap / Casspi
    Howard / Okafor

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

They may figure it out. The question is whether it's worth it to invest all this time, and possible losses, just to see whether they do or not.

I'd prefer to see Asik-Howard as one of the combinations coming off the bench rather than as starters. It just seems that things work better with Casspi or Parsons at the PF so far, so why not begin the game with Casspi to get the team off to a good start?

17. BruceWayne

BruceWayne Member

I love having the twin towers, protecting the paint, allowing for foul trouble/injuries.

But we NEED a perimeter defender. And i don't know what assets we have to offer, other than Omer, that could land us a game-changing perimeter D guy.

OR, James could just learn how to play defense and make all my worries go away. I love James, but damn, show some pride in your D.

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I don't think they should trade him if they don't have to.

19. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

DD won't let up with the platitudes. "Let's make the team better!" Hey, that's a good idea. Let's trade Asik for LeBron. Won't work? Oh, maybe DD has something specific in mind?

20. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

greg smith is a better fit at backup C, IMO..

he can fill in adequately and actually finish