1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should we take Harden back in 2 years?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Landry's Tooth, Mar 4, 2021.

?

Would you take Harden back in 2 years?

1. Absolutely

81 vote(s)
    49.1%
  2. Hell No

50 vote(s)
    30.3%
  3. Depends on How Much He Wants

34 vote(s)
    20.6%
  1. cheke64

cheke64 Member

who didn't like him? I remember every team wanted him. Kobe wanted him and the whole Clippers organization jumped in joy when they got him. Suns are saying great things about him.

2. Caesar

Caesar Member

He wasn't the same type of leader back then that he is now. I see far less of the little tyrant yelling at everyone and more of the calm and smiling leader. As far as change, Harden took a step back to be more of a pure point this season and they love him and even the media came around..can you imagine those shooing splits in a game 7 for the Rockets? They'd be trashing him to no end right now. That shows the beginning of the media perception change. Continuing less stress and less expectation in the media, by 2 years from now, there'd be no reason why he wouldn't decide to be that pure point enjoying setting everyone up and laughing and having a good time instead of just trying to be the high usg scoring leader that's more about himself and brings all that stress and media hate with him again.

3. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Harden requires the offense to be directed/controlled by him to be effective. This is true even with the Nets during the regular season and 1st round. In a few years, he could easily be too old to be that guy. The 2nd round when he physically cannot direct the offense; he acted like a bad role player. He just doesn't have enough elite role player skills right now with great catch 'n shoot 3's or perimeter defending.

Also in 2 years, hopefully the Rockets have their next centerpiece and their offensive system. Unless Harden can learn to be better cog in a machine instead of main crank of a machine, he just won't fit.

4. caneks

caneks Rookie

If he can't win championship in a super team, what is the purpose to bring him back?

BossHogg713 likes this.
  5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

While I recognize and think that Harden should get a pass for his playoff performance this year, it is incredibly eye opening as a preview of what kind of player Harden will probably be in the future when he loses his durability with age.

We knew this a bit with the Rockets where when he's not right, it destroys the team on the court, but even in a case with a great player like Kevin Durant able to run the show essentially, Harden has very little offer at this point as anything more than a decoy. When he's older he won't be a decoy. He'll have to do something just like Kidd did with the Mavs, Vince did with many teams, etc. etc.

I still think the Nets would be smart to extend him if they can, but boy I would be cautious as hell if I was a non contending team giving him big money in a year or two. But then again, there was unanimous consensus feeling the same way about Chris Paul 2 years ago, and he's likely to get a dump truck of money this Summer himself so who knows. I think what Chris Paul is doing now though with his game is more the exception than the rule though.

I think the Rockets should retire his jersey or whatever they need to do to tell him how great he was for the Rockets, but bringing him back would be a disservice to both sides. Let the guy try and figure out how to win a title with a superteam, and figure out your own fresh path back to relevancy.

napalm06 likes this.
  6. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Would you take your ex gf / wife back?

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think Harden fans should just buy a minor team and beg Harden to play some games for free.

8. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

This is diff than a wife. People here gotta stop acting like they were actually boning Harden. This is more like an employee situation. He got a job elsewhere and these things happen. Of course we don't just take the guy back just to take the guy back. We'll take him back if the time and situation is right.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

What a LOAD OF **** !!!

He quit, he demanded he was traded and QUIT playing ......he didn't get another job, he forced his way out with 2 years left on a contract that he signed.

You guys apologizing for this kind of behavior are the problem....

**** Harden.....I hope he never wins.

DD

charlieaustin and DCHAMP like this.
  10. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

Sure he can come back.

I mean he would definitely have to apologize publicly.

By then hopefully we have another star and James would just be another guy in the team.

11. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

It’s pro sports dude, guys demand to be traded all the time. He won’t be the last. That said I’d pass on the reunion and keep it young

12. TimDuncanDonaut

In two years; Kyrie, KD and Harden will opt of their contract and all sign long term deal at HOU. :eek:

No taxes. Hou still have the picks to build or trade for pieces.