1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should we keep MDA?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 1Deep, May 1, 2019.

?

Is it time to move on from MDA?

1. Yes

48 vote(s)
    43.2%
  2. No

63 vote(s)
    56.8%
  1. Vivi

Vivi Member

You guys understand that MDA 7 seconds or less offense is not played not because Morey doesn't like it but because Harden is not Nash right? Should be pretty obvious, just saying...

As for Mike, i've never been a great fan of him as a coach, but i don't know who we should hire to replace him, and i don't know why he should be fired tbh...i think all things considered he fits well with Harden and Paul in terms of personality because he's also a players coach, i'm not sure how Harden would fit with a coach that would try to impose his game like Adelman or Pop...even though Pop is dealing just ok with LMA and Derozan so, probably wouldn't be a problem.

#21 Vivi, May 1, 2019
    Last edited: May 1, 2019
    HP3 and harold bingo like this.
  2. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Raise your hand if you remember how bad McHale and Bickerstaff were.

Lurch, s3ts and waytookrzy079 like this.
  3. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Just need to add midrange somehow some way.

I don’t care how morey/and or MDA feel about midrange but we need more of it. Harden rarely does it and cp3 don’t do it enough.

You think the GS cares about how bad of a percentage shot it is compared to a 3pt shot.

KD is killing us midrange
    Klay midrange shot is money
    Add Livingston to that midrange as well

Also notice how everybody I just mentioned from GS and their midrange is 6’7 or better.

Jbarrachina, Denovo and Rockets21 like this.
  4. bmelo

bmelo Member

Its time to stop Harden from running this team, we all ridiculed LBJ for that while Harden isnt any better(minus rings). Im tired of playing how he wants and not how coach wants if he cant put his ego to the side trade his ass for Zion and lets play fun atleast since we wont win anything playing his iso system anyway

5. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

it's called Moreyball not Toniball

6. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

We don’t need a new coach. We need a better 3-7 in our rotation.

7. anchel

anchel Member

WTH? In the middle of a big series. What a freaking bunch of losers right here...

8. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

We stopped playing his offense because it was worse than our current offense, it's as simple as that. In his first year here we ran his offense, we were the 3rd fastest team in the league, tons of plays, tons of quick shots, PnR, very little iso. The longer you play the more data the front office collects, and we can get a better picture of what works and what doesn't. D'antoni has talked on podcasts and interviews about how he is constantly getting data about which plays work, which ones don't, which ones produce the most points, most turnovers, highest chance of success, lowest chance of opponent transition...he has all these numbers available to him. There is a reason our offense has changed. He phases out the plays that produce less points. It's not because he's lazy, or decided to stop coaching.

waytookrzy079, HP3 and jordnnnn like this.
  9. macan

macan Member

can we get pop. pop loves Harden too

10. s3ts

s3ts Member

Part of it is on DM. Part of it on MDA.

DM did not provide enough pieces for MDA to run the team w/ a longer rotation.

MDA makes decisions that are unforgivable, even if our players suck.

11. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

Pop would not a be a good match for the way Morey likes to build a team. He refuses to adapt to 3and D. He wants long 2s all day long.

12. s3ts

s3ts Member

Bzdelik

13. SemisolidSnake

I saw enough of Bzdelik head coaching in that final game of the season loss to the Thunder. His nonsensical, weirdly-rigid but also ill-timed rotations played a large part in that loss and the loss of the 2nd seed. Also, he gets all sorts of credit when the Rockets play good D but little direct criticism when they crap the bed. OR when certain players consistently are defensive liabilities over long periods of time. This leaves me with lots of uncertainty about him all over the place. Not doubt, per se, but a ton of uncertainty.

I can't believe I'm going to say this, and my memory may be very fuzzy, so I could be wrong, but here goes. I seem to remember that McHale was more flexible with rotations than MDA is. Back in the early Harden days, it seemed like each game was an uphill grind to find whatever combination of players would work for that particular game. It was frustrating to not have consistency, but there were a lot of issues contributing to the need for it. The point is that in a lot of cases, eventually that successful combo would be found in a game, and the Rockets would win games somehow. And then the next game, the process repeated. But, iirc, McHale would keep trying until something clicked.

Now, I could be remembering wrong. I'm not in any way saying McHale was a better coach than MDA or even a good coach at all. I just remember points in the early Harden era where this iterative experimental process in games would go on a lot, and the Rockets punched above their weight in not a few games once they found the hot combo of players. And I don't see that now, even when the starters are having extremely bad games.

14. farhen

farhen Member

Genius :confused:

15. motleydeflep6

motleydeflep6 Member

Mike’s been great for the most part. This season I think with all the injuries during the crazy Harden offensive stretch put the offense the way it is mostly.

I fully expect next year for things to be a bit different if they are out in 4-5 games, roster included. Warriors expected to lose KD and they’ll be pretty strapped on money themselves. I can see Morey doing an upgrade at some spots and also could see something different being added in the offense.

HP3 likes this.
  16. SemisolidSnake

Yeah, this is the real rub. I want the extreme intelligence Morey brings as a GM, but I'm tired his all-or-nothing system. I want an actual freaking coach that solves subtle and not-so-subtle problems with the way the team plays and can adjust to win, not just a dutiful implementer of the The System. But they cannot be separated in this arrangement.

Ugh, this reminds me of my job in so many ways, it's making me ill.

smp and cheke64 like this.
  17. JW86

JW86 Member

We are in too deep now, but I have had little faith in MDA in the play-offs and it's only become worse.

18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Rockets play Moreyball not D'Antoni ball. This entire roster is Morey's creation, down to the players and the system that it runs.

19. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I posted this in another thread. This is D’Antonis call it’s moreyball starring harden

20. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm so sick of this style. The dribble dribble dribble when we have other capable shooters to throw to drives me mad. The slow pace doesn't always work. We play the same regardless. The Clippers with our old players looked better than us when they were allowed to actually play ball instead of standing around watching James or Chris dribble dribble dribble down the clock.

smp likes this.