1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should we keep benching Tracy McGrady?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Aznoob, Jan 4, 2009.

?

Should we bench Tracy McGrady?

1. Yes! Tracy is killing the on-court chemistry by being ON THE COURT!

80 vote(s)
    76.9%
  2. No. He is a vital part of the Rockets offense. Benching him would alienate him further.

24 vote(s)
    23.1%
  1. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

I know that Tracy said he'll play in the the first half of a back-to-back, but do you guys think that we should keep benching McGrady?

I know the Hawks are from the East, and that one game is a very small sample size, but we played so well without McGrady and Ron yesterday, that I could actually accept the loss.

When we get Battier and Artest back, should we bench McGrady until he is 100%, both physically and mentally?

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

My inclination is to say yes, but in reality here is what I would do.

Sit him down and explain that he has to do the following to stay on the floor.

1. Commit to running the offense
    2. Commit to playing defense
    3. Commit to effort on the floor

If any of those 3 are lacking, he goes back to the bench, probably for a good long while....and the team should move on.

Basically, I would tell him that this is his last chance in Houston, and that you hope he takes it because you believe in him, but if not, the organization has decided to move on for the good of the entire team.

DD

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

You never know with T-Mac. Does he respond with fire after getting benched, or does it make him sulk even more?

Maybe Spanoulis was on to something when he said he was like T-Mac back home.

4. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Hey VSpan got us Scola, imagine what we can get for Tmac.

:D

DD

5. jaylee777

jaylee777 Member

RA and management let tmac do whatever he wants. He isnt playing because he doesnt want to...not because he is being benched. When he decides he want to play...hes going to get to play.

6. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Could TMac be benched?

Check out the article above and read the last paragraph very carefully,

"However, coach Rick Adelman said no decision had been made but that the changing lineups have been difficult.

“We have two days off, but I think we have to look at our whole situation,” Adelman said. “It’s starting to wear, too, on the guys. We never know who will play and who won’t play. I think that’s been unsettling.”

--------------------------------------------------------

Now I know I am a conspiracy nut, but this sounds like the team is going to bench him because of the unsettling of the situation, probably his teamates complaining about him.

This could end the Tmac era....

DD

7. bratna8

bratna8 Member

We can finally move on...

8. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I would tell him he has 2 choices.

1. Play hard every single game - not just back to backs....and if he doesn't try in any game, he grabs some pine....

2. Sit down and send him home for a strenous rehab schedule.

If he takes option 2, and he doesn't commit to rehab, suspend him without pay.

If he slacks off in any game, bench him, and send him to rehab....

Time for a hardline approach to the malcontent.

DD

9. arif1127

arif1127 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hate to say it, but i agree with you. get his arse into shape, get him mentally right, then let him play, and only if he plays hard.

10. jkckwong

jkckwong Member

I fully agree with DD's suggested approach.

It's time for Rox to move on with a decisive and effective measure and relinquish the miraculism that TMac would eventually be happy and playing with star-performance if he were given the freedom to decide when and how he would play on the basketball court.

The drama with TMac has been lingering on since the beginning of the season and is really hurting his teammates' feeling and the team's chemistry - as clearly demonstrated in the team's performance in the two games against Raptors (whole team adopting a give-up attitude)and against the Hawks (whole team adopting a never-say-die attitude).

TMac is earning $21M this year. If money were of no incentive to him, perhaps directing him to a strenuous rehab and if he failed to comply with that, a portion of his salary should be deducted as fines. Lets see whether this can awaken him a bit. I am sure if I refused to work, I won't get my salary.

The Rox management has given out too many carrots with no avail, perhaps its time to test whether sticks would be effective.