1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should we go after Howard?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Contingent, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Contingent

Contingent Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/rumors/...t=AoI0.XzEOLXoFzV.higqkZS8vLYF?urn=nba-317795

Could Houston be a place he might consider calling home?

2. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

If he goes LA I'm officially done with the NBA.

3. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I am getting so tired of hearing about LA and New York for every single rumor.

4. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Lets talk in 2012 but even then, it will be a LONGSHOT.

5. JVL713

JVL713 Contributing Member

We should definitely go after him, who wouldn't?

We will have the money to offer him a max too, lets hope we can land a star to make Houston more attractive to him before his contract expires.

6. Francis 4 ever

"suffering"? Doesn't he go deep into the playoffs/finals all the time?

All this ring chasing is really ruining the competitiveness of the game.

7. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

I don't understand why you're talking about 2012. There won't be any basketball by then. Duh.

8. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

9. john_l

john_l Contributing Member

I imagine you could get him interested in coming to Houston if you could bottle and serve whatever the Chuck Wagon did to fix his freethrow shooting over the summer.

10. lionaire

lionaire Member

It's his fault that he chokes in the playoffs.

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Please tell me Leon Rose doesn't represent this guy now.

-What is the deal here, seriously? His team is really, really good now, and they are spending like Paris Hilton at the Galleria to get players that fit around him. If they dont win it all, well then he is part of the problem. Great players have to learn to put their team on their back and win when it really matters.

-Lebron obviously wanted help in Cleveland, but look at the other people he had around him in Cleveland compared to that in Miami. Orlando might not get Bosh & Wade, but that doesn't mean that Jameer Nelson, Jason Richardson, JJ Reddick, Hedo Turkalo, and Gilbert Arenas are slouches. Orlando would not go on a 24 losing streak if Howard left the team. They would still be a playoff team.

Plus, there is the money issue. Howard would have to take less money to go to the Lakers or New York most likely and would not get the benefit of no state taxes in CA or NY.

----As far as the Rockets go in preparring for 2012 free agents----

-I say it should be business as usual. There isnt a hint of possibilty of Howard, Deron Williams, or even CP3 being traded until the next trade deadline. Until then you never know who else might become available or what young player will become a star that might complement the Rockets better.

The Rockets roster will look alot different come three weeks after the 2011 trade deadline. Most likely I look for the Rockets to come out of it with a tuned up, more balanced roster that should make them a better team in 2011/2012 as far as wins and losses go.

My opinion is that the Rockets have a better shot of winning with a talented/balanced roster much like the Pistons 2004 formula, rather than sitting around, shredding salary, trying to persuade one of these players to come play alongside Shane Battier and Chuck Hayes (sorry Chuck, you know I still love you, Shane, I think you can leave the table before the check arrives. Im starting to get annoyed at the sound of your voice and that stupid smile you have on your face when you dribble the ball off of your knee.).

Also I think at the same time they can find a superstar in the draft while remaining competitive. Surrounding a young talent with other talented veteran players will only make that player that much better.

Dwight Howard is a nice pipe dream, but its never going to happen. And Dwight, your an idiot if you leave Orlando. Mickey mouse loves you and is way more forgiving then the New York Subway crowd.

12. ncagg42

ncagg42 Member

no way it happens... the only way I could see there being a chance it does, we hire Hakeem on our coaching staff, and have Hakeem recruit him over.

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

fo shizzle'
    [​IMG]

14. AB423

AB423 Member

Does L.A have enough cap room to sign him?

15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

they will after they trade Odom and Bynum.

16. houseofglass21

Seems every superstar wants to go to L.A. so they can have the championship handed to them instead of having to work with what they've got.

17. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

N eedy
    B itchy
    A -holes :)

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

That actually is the biggest issue that LA has had with their surrounding players around Kobe over the past few years. Players like Lamar Odom were the stars on their team beforehand and came to LA and suddenly vanished when they were on the court with Kobe.

Odom just in the past year or two seems to figure out that he needs to play ball too for them to win. Also Pau Gasol just didnt know any better and still works his butt off.

I still think that Orlando can put a better team around him than LA besides playing off of Kobe who might not be around by then.

Dwight moving to LA would be a bad move IMO. The Magic are a much better run organization now then they were with better coaching than in the Shaq, & McGrady days. In the meantime he just needs to get better and learn how to shoot free throws.

19. Vivaelsueno

Vivaelsueno Member

This is mainly David Stern fault for making big city NBA teams successful. Unlike the NFL, example Stealers & Packers, small market cities in the NBA have difficult time being successful (Spurs being the exception).

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Ask me again in the offseason.