1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should We Execute Pedophiles?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KDavis, May 30, 2007.

1. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

doesnt being put to death have the same effect as incapacitation?

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Living is the Question.

Is 'Still breathing' enough for living?
    If the punish
    was say . . . Paralyzation from the Neck down? Waiste Down?

would that leave your sensabilities unflettered

Rocket River

3. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

good points.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm not sure how life imprisonment is not a fulfillment of vengeance. Maybe it's not as complete as the death penalty, but it has to get you 95% of the way there.

Besides that, I don't know if one should list vengeance as a legitimate purpose of punishment. It certainly would be a thing again from justice, which you neglected to list. As for justice, I don't think you can always say that life in prison is just as appropriate as the death penalty. It would depend on the crime.

Life in prison is not as effective in incapacitation as the death penalty (except insofar as it takes decades to actually execute someone). The prisoner is unlikely to rape more children, but can commit other crimes in prison. Once a man is executed, he can't commit any crimes at all.

5. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

That's not my "reasons for punishment". Those are taught in any Government class that gets into theory. Justice is too broad a term, it means to much to be a reason for punishment.