1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Very Obese Kids Be Taken Away from Parents

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Jul 14, 2011.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Of course not, but I understand what this guy is trying to say. You are letting the kid destroy their physical future.

http://ozarksfirst.com/fulltext?nxd_id=487667

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Removing obese kids from parents is obviously not an option. But, IMO, I think it's child abuse when parents allow their kids to become obese before adulthood. What bothers me the most is seeing obese grade-schoolers. The parents should be ashamed of themselves.

3. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Remove USDA subsidies for high-sugar corn and processed meats, and if you fancy to do so, concentrate some money on fruits and vegetables instead, presto!

America has a government that is talking out of its' ass on one side about healthy portions, but when push comes to shove, they're financing the opposite of what they preach.

1 person likes this.
  4. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

You walk a very slippery slope when you start telling parents how to raise their kids. It is a small step from this to telling parents how much their kids should exercise.

5. Northside Storm

[​IMG]

The ideal "MyPlate".

[​IMG]

The government's plate.

6. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

just because i think it's a funny picture
    [​IMG]

Nothing more depressing than seeing some 6 year old extremely obese

7. Northside Storm

Would it blow your mind if I told you the federal government is, indirectly, responsible for "telling" parents to keep their children obese?

It goes from subsidies that encourage consumption of high-sugar corn syrup, all the way to a negative externality of the interstate system---namely, the preeminence of the automobile, which helped reduce walking as a mode of transport. lots of little factors in between.

it's ironic, because a lot libertarians cheer for---for example, "the American diet", have come along due to government intervention. They crow about taxing fries, but they don't say anything about the subsidies that power the cheap cooking oil that allow the fries to be fried for near nothing or the subsidies that allow the fries to be sugared on the cheap with corn syrup.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

sigh.

9. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

Sorry, but those fatties are infringing on my freedom from high medical insurance premiums. Let the government lock them up and send them to fat camp.

10. tallanvor

What is the point of your link?

That's exactly what I was saying. I feel like I used the expression correctly. Are you saying the argument doesn't pass logical snuff? Your own link suggests otherwise.

11. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Good idea. Stop defunding schools so they have to meet expenses by having soda and candy machines in schools, too.

You just can't make much on the health of poor and lower middle class folks. Good health might save tax dollars, i.e., save the government money, but bad health is so much more lucrative to the for profit health industry.

Take a poor kid and feed him good food and nobody makes money. Now a gastric by pass surgery or lots of Medicaid expenses and then we are talking.

A bit off the subject, but if you take the poor uneducated unemployed person and put him in prison it can also be very lucrative and add to the GDP.

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

double sigh.

13. tallanvor

from your own link

14. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

We have families in America that can only afford the 99 cent items at McDonald's and these experts wonder why those kids' parents can't buy healthy (and expensive) food eat? :rolleyes:

WAKE THE FU*K UP!! Fix the ungodly income disparty in our country and you'll see a lot of (not all) problems disappear...

15. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

There's also the issue of families that don't know how or don't care to cook efficiently.

16. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

The problem is much bigger than income disparity. There are plenty of obese families that make enough money to eat lean meats and vegetables, yet are too lazy/ignorant and eat fast food, pizza, and whatever crap they can find from the frozen section. We are downright ignorant as a nation when it comes to eating healthy, thanks to our fast food culture.

Too many people think that eating Subway or a salad (that they load with fatty dressing) is healthy. Maybe healthier than Mcdonald's, but still not ideal.

17. meh

meh Contributing Member

Can't speak for others, but when I decided to eat healthier and started cooking, my food budget rose compared to when I was eating unhealthy. And I'm just talking about buying raw fruits, vegetables, meat, etc. None of that overpriced fancy health food stuff.

Northside Storm's graph put it pretty aptly with the lack of veggie subsidizing. How can you expect more people to eat veggies when they're expensive relative to other food?

18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One thing that occurred to me reading this was that while unhealthy food is often cheaper than healthy food it doesn't cost anything to exercise.

Even while kids might not eat as healthy as they should kids can still stave off obesity through regular exercise.

19. langal

langal Contributing Member

That is not true.

You can buy rices, veggies, chicken, beans - all for really cheap. Water is free. Soda is not.

Income disparity is not the issue here. The issue is parents who are lazy.

Not saying you fit in this category, but a lot of people w/o children typically eat out every nite and step into a supermarket only to get beer or steaks for a bbq. They then think that any healthy foods are expensive (which they are if you eat out every nite).

20. langal

langal Contributing Member

Very good point. My older daughter eats a lot so we make sure she swims, does karate, etc. to work it off. It can be hard to pull her off of Plants v. Zombies though but we try.