1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Should the Texans tank the rest of the season?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by what, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Unless Andre Johnson and/or Arian Foster are injured for a significant amount of time, I am against tanking.

2. what

what Member

But your solution is to go 8-8 because that's so much better. Again, the logic around NOT tanking for a team like the texans is irrational, and stupid.

I'm against tanking because I want to go 8-8 and show the NFL how mediocre my team is.

The texans have NO chance to get to the super bowl. None. They only have a slim chance to make the playoffs.

3. Major

Major Member

Should every team without a legit chance at the Superbowl (about 20 teams) tank every year?

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And tanking doesn't guarantee anything either.

Most teams success are determined by the entire quality of the draft, not just the high first round pick. Texans haven't had a good top-to-bottom draft since 2006... even more of a reason why they're stuck where they are right now.

5. what

what Member

Yes.

In my opinion, every team without a franchise qb should forget about filling holes and draft qb after qb until they find their franchise difference maker.

There is no reason to build a team around a matt schaub or any other game manager. Teams get lucky like Pittsburgh getting Ben. Look at New England before Brady, they were mediocre year after year.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You probably shouldn't use a team that found a franchise QB as a 6th round pick as an example of why tanking is good.

If anything, that's an example of why you DON'T need to tank to get a franchise QB.

7. what

what Member

Teams get lucky. The fact that New England didn't tank doesn't have any bearing on the fortune of that franchise. The only thing that matters is they found Tom Brady.

Again, going 8-8, moral victories, whatever -- none of this matters. It doesn't make a lick of difference what New England did before or after Tom Brady. The only thing that matters is Tom Brady.

You seem to think going 8-8 matters, because you keep advocating it, for what reason I still don't understand. It doesn't. All that matters, is the texans find a way to get a franchise QB. My contention is that they can get one easier with a higher draft pick. If 8-8 did something productive, I might agree with it. But it doesn't. You get that right?

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

8-8 doesn't prevent teams from finding franchise players.

This isn't the NBA.

Also, you act as if 8-8 is pretty easy to accomplish in the NFL... again, don't see a lot of teams finishing @ or near .500 every single year without either a breakthrough or drop-off.

Hell, the current Seattle nucleus was formed as the team lucked into the playoffs, going 7-9 with no franchise QB. I wouldn't even consider Russel Wilson as a franchise QB... but they've certainly succeeded around him despite never tanking to get him.

9. Major

Major Member

The league and its fanbase would collapse if most teams weren't even trying to compete every year. And players would never want to sign with tanking teams, because if they are not put in a position to succeed, it will affect their ability to make money in their next contract.

10. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

You people are getting trolled hard by a titty fan.

11. what

what Member

That's a little like interviewing a football franchise with the #10 pick in the draft after 3 franchise qbs are drafted head of them. 1, 2 and 9th, respectively, and their explanation for it was: "well, we just weren't lucky, this year."

No, you make your luck.

To a certain degree, the draft is a crap shoot. However, to give yourself better odds, you CAN do things to put odds in your favor.

First. Draft a qb. Multiple times, if necessary.
    Second. Get higher draft picks when a good crop of qbs are coming out.

Say what you will about Matt Millen and his crazy draft strategy: he did draft the seminal WR of our time, Calvin Johnson. He was pretty misguided, in most respects because he was after a WR. Had he done that with his QB, he might have been better off.

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Tanking in the NFL is a bad bad strategy.

Before anyone mentions the colts they just simply sucked

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And yet even with said "franchise" QB in Matthew Stafford, they'd fall in your category of teams that have virtually little realistic chance of winning a Super Bowl.

And also, for clarification, there has never been a first round that produced 3 franchise QB's from the first 10 picks. Hell, there are only a handful of drafts where there were 3 franchise QB's in the entire draft.

But, you go on rooting with your zany strategies... which only really work in the NBA. I'm done discussing this.

BTW, Grizzlies should probably tank this year. They're stuck in playoff mediocrity, and just likely got passed up by the Rockets, Warriors, Clippers, and Thunder.

Suck for Wiggins.

14. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

before Brady, the Patriots already played in 2 superbowls one in '85 and other in '96.

15. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I don't think we should tank, at least not until after the Colts game. The worst outcome I see is 7-9 and keeping the coaching personnel intact because they didn't lose their team and kept them motivated enough to beat the Cards, Titans, Raiders, and Jags twice.

I've worried about this like we all have for a long time. I thought we kept Frank Bush in the whole season so that he could be sacrificed in the offseason to appease the crowds calling for change. That offseason I worried that when the time came for Kubiak to be fired, that Wade would take over for the simple reason that he would still be under contract. I worry that even now, knowing how low of a rock bottom this team has hit, that a 7-9/8-8 will only result in Marciano losing his job and trading 2x 2nd rounders for Kirk Cousins.

If it's that or tanking, gimme a top 5 pick and a new coaching staff with a good scouting team. I trust McNair enough that he won't be pick a dbag like Schiano or anyone from the Fisher tree, and that's a good start.

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Between this and the Astros forum, there are just some really shining examples of stupid this week.

17. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Tanking is always an intriguing sentiment, but when you have a coach fighting to keep his job, it's not going to be easy. Fortunately, we have Gary Kubiak, who the entire league has "figured out" now. He also doesn't believe in making adjustments or adapting to anything, so we'll probably tank inadvertently.

So there's that...

18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

This is EXACTLY how I felt during the week leading up to the SF game............................

And yes, tanking in the NFL is just stupid.

19. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Sell outs are a rather antiquated way to judge a franchise’s relevance, given that the vast majority of the tickets were purchased, in some cases, more than 10 years ago. When they bottomed out in 2005, and still “sold out” every game, the stadium was far from capacity.

Sure, football is king, and so there will always be interest. But I don’t think this team is above apathy. Frankly, I’ve been stunned at the depth of too many fans’ level of entitlement, given the franchise's first nine seasons. I mean, this guy wants us to tank less than two years removed from our first playoff appearance with a still-talented roster and a (currently) winnable division? I recognize he doesn’t speak for all fans, but it’s part of the larger fan narrative that’s quickly developing this year: dissatisfaction with victories, impatience, burning jerseys, cheering injuries, irrationally spending way too much time imagining the team’s third string midget scrub of a QB is really Tom Brady in disguise, calling for tanks, firings…

It feels like a tipping point, and I just can’t believe losing 14 consecutive games this year is exactly what the doctor ordered for this (or any) franchise.

20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

There is no way you could get a 1st or 2nd round pick for AJ or Foster. I really don't know if you could get anything of value since they make money. Tanking only works if there is an Andrew luck waiting there for you.