1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should the Rockets trade for Jaylen Brown?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Le$$, Apr 12, 2023.

?

Jaylen Brown?

1. Yes

75 vote(s)
    33.0%
  2. No

152 vote(s)
    67.0%
  1. YOLO

YOLO Member

not going far huh. this looks like quite the opposite

Jayson Tatum is 25 years old with a Finals appearance and 4 ECF’s in 6 seasons.
    Brown is 26 years old with with a Finals appearance and 5 ECF's in 7 seasons

Curry was 27 when he won his first championship
    Lebron was 27 when he won his first championship
    MJ was 28 when he won his first championship
    KD was 28 when he won his first championship
    Dirk was 33 when he won his first championship
    The Dream was 31 when he won his first championship

And if either Jokic at 28 or Butler at 33 get their first title, it goes to show it takes quite a long time to finally get over the hump after battling for years. Tatum and Brown are just fine. Folks just forget they've seen success at such an early age that they think they're old and done. Far from it. They've literally just started entering the prime years

#381 YOLO, Jun 1, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2023
  2. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Some people really will just say anything and act like there is not one shred of evidence to refute their dumb takes.

HP3 and YOLO like this.
  3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I'm assuming they'll be keeping Mazulla and I guarantee you they won't even make it to the eastern finals.

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

I mean why would anyone care about your guarantee but I'm one of those that loves calling people's bluffs so how about a tip jar bet for next season that they make it back to the ECF?

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

This board has folks spouting all kinds of nonsense with their own personal narratives despite actual evidence that says otherwise.

6. Caesar

Caesar Member

All the videos of these kids making fun of John Stockton being a plumber with no left and this guy here about to get paid more than Stockton did in 2 decades total with no left and mediocre right.

7. mightybosstone

I don't think this is fair. Even though I personally wouldn't want to trade a ton of assets for Brown right now doesn't mean I don't think he's still a top 25 player. And Tatum is top 10 easily. If you have the right pieces around those guys, they can succeed, and they've been pretty damn successful up to this point. Winning a championship is hard. Blowing it up when they've come this close would be crazy to me.

Boston has to decide this offseason what it wants its core to be moving forward. I get the hesitancy to give Brown a supermax, but guys who are top 20-25 players in this league get max deals. Period. Letting him walk or moving him for pennies on the dollar sets the franchise back significantly.

Corrosion, Dobbizzle and fchowd0311 like this.
  8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Ya it's hard for me to see any organization give up on a 25 and 26 year old duo that has already experienced a finals trip and multiple conference final trips.

The question the Celtics org is wondering is if Brown is worth the supermax. If they didn't have to pay him that then I think it would be the dumbest decision from an organization to break them apart

clos4life and mightybosstone like this.
  9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Every year when a contending team got eliminated, people would say that they should break it up and rebuild because their stars aren't alpha or don't have it, or something to that effect.

10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I see the Celtics doubling down on Mazulla and him being paired with Silas cements a 3 to 4 years of mediocre treadmill. Yes,we disagree on the value of top 1-3 picks. I think they're worth alot more.

There's too many inconsistencies with Brown and Tatum for my taste.

Subscribe to my newsletter and join my discord for more of my takes we can discuss more there.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

Looks like someone is all bluff. No surprise

12. Ish

Ish Member

Jokic is exactly 28 lol

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

He's 28. ok and?

14. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Ideal off season?

1. Sullivan has time to work with the guy's on their shooting.

2. Brown, Harden, Paul and Irving sign nice contracts with any team not located in Houston.

3. The Rox do not trade away any of the core or assets including the #4, for guys that do not fit with the group.

4. They do not bring in any questionable characters (especially D Brooks DA). Instead they focus on team oriented, balanced guys that hustle, can shoot and defend. They do not have to be stars. They need to be guys that can help our young develop into stars.

5. Last but not least, Udoka has his pick of any player available at #4. Let him choose who he thinks fits his system best. The one he can mold from the get go.

15. mightybosstone

A top 3 pick is worth a lot. Scoot Henderson is worth more than most. But it's going to take more than just a No. 2 pick to get someone on the caliber of Tatum with two years left on a contract; on that I think you're way off base. Boston would be crazy to take that deal. Is one year of Brown worth the No. 3 pick? It's at least closer, but Boston still probably doesn't take it without some more sweeteners thrown in. $100,000 is worth more than a 1 in 20 chance at $1 million. Anytime you move a second tier star player for picks and assets, that's essentially what you're doing.

Really I'm not sure there's a deal out there that makes sense for Boston to justify blowing it up completely and dealing Tatum and Brown. You could get the No. 2 and No. 3 picks plus a slew of other assets, make the right draft picks and the right moves, and still ultimately not end up a better basketball team in 5-10 years than you are right now. Also, your take about them being mediocre with Mazulla and Silas doesn't make a ton of sense to me. You don't trade star players because your coaching staff is mediocre; you fire your coaching staff. Mazualla is already on thin ice as it is. If Boston underachieves next year, he'll be gone way before Tatum and Brown will.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Brown has one more year in his contract. Paul has two more years. If we want any of them, we have to trade for them. I think getting Paul would be good as long as we don't give up any of our young core, except KPJ. Brown is an interesting case given his eligibility for the super max and his less than impressive playoffs performance. I think I like him more than a lot of people here. He is still a max level player, but not worth the super max. So Boston is in an awkward situation. If they sign him next year, they will have to offer him the super max. I am sure they don't want to do that. But you don't let a guy that good just walk away for nothing. So I can imagine that they must be actively shopping him now.

Only Harden and Irving are FA seeking to sign a new contract. I wouldn't touch Irving with a 10-foot pole. I'd take Harden only if the contract is no more than 2 years long. But he didn't opt out of a one-year guaranteed money just to get a two-year deal. So that's that.

17. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

18. Reeko

Reeko Member

trusting Udoka who just joined the organization and has been coaching for 1 year over the scouts who have been looking at these prospects in depth all year seems crazy to me

Little Bit likes this.
  19. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I doubt Celtics are blowing it up, Tatum and Brown will always be EC contenders as long as they are together. They have a good 4-5 years of their prime ahead of them

YOLO likes this.
  20. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

It's not about "blowing it up." If Tatum and Brown are locked into supermax deals, under the new CBA, the Celtics will have very little room to sign anyone else. So, the question for the Celtics becomes (1) do you lock up this duo and try to surround them with subpar parts; or (2) do you trade Brown for a haul and use it to build a deep team around Tatum via trades for sub-supermax players.

In other words, if the Celtics trade Brown for our #4 pick plus a lot more, it won't be to select a guy at 4. They'll likely have another trade lined-up, and they'll have a lot of future draft capital to make additional trades. If they sign Brown, they are basically pricing themselves out of the trade market going forward.

By the way, this will be the new reality under the new CBA. This will impact all teams. This will be another factor into Boston's decision.

Corrosion likes this.