1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should the Rockets shop Juwan?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sushimaster, Jan 4, 2007.

Tags:
  1. sushimaster

sushimaster Member

Juwan has been playing very well of late. His points have tripled, and he's grabbing rebounds. But how long can he keep this up? Would now be a good time to shop Juwan Howard while his stock is climbing? Or should we keep him and not mess up the chemistry?

2. Chopped

Chopped Member

I HATED juwon, but now that yao is out he is our only legit post threat.

3. ak47

ak47 Member

Keep Juwan Howard! He is doing very good for the Rockets. Stepped up big time..He's a real proffesional.

4. ind0fo0

ind0fo0 Contributing Member

i voted keep him- but am very interested in seeing what we would get for him... NJ expressed interest a while ago.

5. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

It matters what the Rockets would get in return. I say no as of now because with Yao gone, he is another down-low presence, not necessarily a force but he's something.

6. chinesetaco

chinesetaco Contributing Member

RJ for Juwan?

7. SpiffyRifi

SpiffyRifi Member

I voted no because we need a low post presence without Yao. I think it would be unlikely that we'd get a more productive power forward or center in exchange for him. However, if we got a good point guard with a smaller contract offer in late January closer to when Yao is returning, I think I might like to see that happen. BUT, I have to admit there's something about having veterans on the team...so it would still be a close call.

8. lastopsuburb

lastopsuburb Member

ONLY if this guy we trade for is legit.

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I say no. I've criticized Juwan in the past, and he has his limitations and an overpriced contract, but he's impressed the hell out of me the last month or so.

More than just his play on the court, though, it's becoming increasingly clear that he's the vocal leader on this team. That counts for a lot in my opinion. I hope he can continue his play when Yao returns. I think he'd be great coming off the bench to give us a scoring punch inside when Yao rests; though I wouldn't be surprised if JVG keeps him in the starting lineup the rest of the way.

10. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

I'm with you. Juwon is the guy talking in the huddle before games, and I would imagine he does a lot of the talking in the locker room and stuff. He's played well, and can stretch the defense out with his midrange shooting. He makes FTs too! He's a keeper, unless you can somehow get a better 4 or 5 by throwing in some extras in the trade. But again, being a vocal leader for the team will be hard to replace.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

If we traded him, what we'd want in return would be another PF. So, unless it is a multi-player and/or multi-team trade, it would be a zero-sum game, which is probably a non-starter for trade negotiations. But, since it is possible to package Juwan with a couple of other guys, maybe he could help in getting another legit PF.... Can't hurt to ask, right?

12. aamir

aamir Member

Regardless of how well he is playing, his stock won't rise up to his salary. We're stuck with him for now, unless we can package him. Let's just hope it can continue to be for the better, because he has been amazing for our team lately.

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've criticized Juwan too. He's played well lately. But I don't think there's anyone out there that we can get for him that's younger that people are willing to give up.

14. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Looks like a bunch of chickensh*ts who voted to trade him wouldn't even man up.

15. Highwire

Highwire Member

NO more trades cuz we're having a good chemistry already. Let's wait until before the season break.

16. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Before the season began, I would have said "yes" in a hearbeat. As much as I have historicaly criticized Juwan in the past, he has really filled in well with yao out. He can score at times (though it isn't pretty) and has been a decent to effective rebounder.

He is a nice option for open jumpshots. For now, I say we keep him.

17. AzCkR

AzCkR Member

as long as he keeps playing the way he does, i see no reason to trade him. i love the way he's been performing as of late.

18. Rocket_Boy_34

Rocket_Boy_34 Member

Agreed. When you're 4-1 without your best player, you don't change anything (except putting your best player back in as soon as he's healthy of course). If it wasn't for Juwan we wouldn't be 4-1 right now! Yes, I'm shocked to hear myself say that, and I'm not saying Juwan is a star or anything, but if we didn't have him right now it'd be Battier and Hayes PF, and that would mean Padgett or Novak would be playing more (not a good thing right now). Considering that Yao, Snyder, and Wells are out, we can't afford to get rid of a guy like Juwan right now.

19. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Juwan seems to have found a renew sense of purpose, probably as a result of being relegated to the bench at the start of the season, he's shown a lot of professionalism and heart.

Keep him and just wait till we get Yao back :cool:

20. sushimaster

sushimaster Member

Okay I agree with alot of you. On one hand, he's playing big now that Yao is out and filling a huge need on offense and rebounds. He's also providing leadership and experience which is invaluable.

But on the flipside, Juwan Howard is in his 12th season. When Yao comes back, will he still be as much as an impact? I'm worried that Yao will eat into Juwan's points and rebounds.

Not saying it will happen, but I liked the idea of a possible trade for a legit point guard (who can shoot and pass well) that could start and have Rafer come off the bench.