1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should the Rockets seriously explore trading UP to #4?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HealthyHamstring, Jun 3, 2022.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's not a difficult thing to awe the feeble minded.

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

Like majority of the people here I'm a fan of Ivey. In my big board I actually have Ivey no 3 ahead of Banchero.

BUT on this team considering we would already be taking Banchero it doesnt really make any sense to get Ivey.

1. It cost too much. Ivey is a ticket seller, Kings need somebody to sell seats. Even if they pass on Ivey, they would still like a productive big like Keegan Murray.

2. Assuming the Kings King'd and gave the Rox #4, to me a Banchero, Green and Ivey trio wouldnt do anything. These are all redundant on ball mid range scorers,the spacing and defense would be bad and they'd get in each other's way.

3. I've been on record not wanting to trade up, I want us to trade in. Like somehow get another top 10 pick. Is it crazy to trade Sengun for Jalen Duren? I love Sengun but if we getting Banchero he is gonna be a career backup. If we can get Duren and Eason/Kendall Brown/Marjon B then I think that would be a nice complement to Banchero and Green.

rhee likes this.
  3. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I think we should all keep things in perspective. Moving up in the NBA draft is often a good idea, but nothing is a sure thing when it comes to the draft. Big moves can really hurt a franchise if too much is mortgaged.

In 2015, the Celtics were reportedly obsessed with Justise Winslow. They reportedly offered the Hornets four FRPs to move up from 16 to 9 to take him. Imagine where each team would be had that trade gone through.

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/05/1...winslow-to-pistons-and-heat-not-just-hornets/

4. mr_gootan

mr_gootan Member

Trade #3(Banchero), KPJ, Wood, Nwamba for #4(Ivey), lightly protected 2023 SAC 1st, and Barnes.

Flip Barnes to CLE for their 2022 1st

Rockets still have leeway to do poorly in 2022 to position well for 2023 super draft with multiple picks. I’m betting top 5 options in 2023 will be better than Banchero.

5. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

You state this with the benefit of hindsight.

They swapped 5 for 3 and gave what eventually became #10 in the next draft but no one knew where that pick would land prior to making the deal. That is only known a full year later.

That following years pick was actually protected top 5. This is key to establishing value for these type of trades. That pick was a total crapshoot for ATL.

raining threes and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Trade up for #1 instead.

TheBeastSystem likes this.
  7. Rokman

Rokman Member

I think it actually goes - "Shut up and listen! Defense don't win no championships!" Not trying to nit-pick just wanted to get it straight for the record.

8. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Collins makes $10m more than Wood.

Wood's advanced offensive metrics are superior to Collins.

Collins averages fewer points, grabs fewer boards, fewer assists, shoots a lower percentage from 3 with an identical EFG percentage.

I really think some of you under value CW as an asset because we don't like his defense or "I want the max" garbage .... There's 4 dudes in the league averaging his numbers and every team wants one .... there's value to be had.

The odds that any one of the picks from 4-7 post a single season of 20/10 & 39% are pretty slim. Wood's posted those type of numbers in back to back seasons.

Does he get you to #4 alone? No, I don't think so ..... But if you throw in 17 and Tate, that's more than enough value.

I Refuse to add Josh Christopher to any deal. He's on my short list of untouchables.

9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I would trade that for #7 quickly. Doesn't seem like enough for the 4th pick or the 7th to me though. Regardless I hope something like this happens. The Rockets have to start consolidating assets to get players that are more likely to be long term starters and also so that the young players don't languish on the bench.

10. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Christian Wood, Tate, KPJ, Nets future 1st, #17 pick should get you #4. I would do this for Banchero #3, and Ivey at #4.

Watching this team Green, Bachero, Ivey would be neat.

joshuaao and xaos like this.
  11. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Conceptually, that’s not a bad offer. The issue is the Kings, reportedly, want a greater “win now” piece than anything in that package.

raining threes likes this.
  12. xaos

xaos Member

Try to keep Sengun out of it at first (Tate or Wood + picks) but I doubt they'll bite so:

Rockets in: #4 pick (Ivey)
    Saric
    Rockets out: Sengun or Tate or Wood + #17 + 2023 Bucks
    Eric Gordon

Kings in: Ayton
    Kings out: Holmes
    #4 pick

Suns in: Holmes
    Sengun or Tate or Wood + picks
    Gordon
    Suns out: Ayton
    Saric

Not sure if this would be allowed with the sign and trade or if more salary needs to be included. @BimaThug ?

Milos likes this.
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They'd certainly take that in a heartbeat and laugh at the Rockets for even offering it.....but if Stone ever even considered offering that, he would need to be immediately fired and blacklisted from the league forever.

You don't trade away a better player than you'd be getting back PLUS several other palyers PLUS several picks unless your goal is to actively sabotage the team.

BelgianRocketsFan likes this.
  14. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Based on what? You are talking about top 5 pick. Ivey could be a tier A player. These players at best Kpj Wood are tier D at best in there prime. lol. Just like Houston says they want a Win now player for that pick. Its going to cost alot seriously.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You're talking about giving up a 22 year old star player along with 2 other very solid starter caliber players PLUS several picks for one guy who likely won't be even as good as the 22 year old star you are giving up.

The trade would make the Rockets immediately worse, and worse in the long run.

Now if the goal was to tank for another top 5 pick next year, that trade would help, but that's about it.

If Ivey one day becomes as good as KPJ already is, the team that drafts him will be happy....because that's definitely not a given.

Realistically KPJ is a better shooter, shot creator, ball handler, and defender than Ivey is likely to ever be......Ivey runs fast though.

maj21 likes this.
  16. YOLO

YOLO Member

folks around here are trying to tell themselves KPJ is some star, which he obviously isn't. Acting like KPJ is some high standard was always just laughable

jcmoon and Milos like this.
  17. TheBeastSystem

If the Rockets take Ivey at 3, after OKC takes Chet at 2, then OKC really isn't incentivized to trade SGA for #4. That deal likely falls apart. Paolo and Chet make no sense together.

Kings left either taking Paolo or trading him for other assets.

And that's the proper order of the picks. Paolo should go 4th. Chet, Jaden, and Jabari are the top 3 prospects in this draft.

18. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

This trade would not be legal. Ayton is an impending free agent. No trade involving him could be agreed to at the draft without bringing down SEVERE sanctions from the league.

YOLO and xaos like this.
  19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

To Houston
    Holmes
    Mikhailuk

To Sacramento
    Anunoby
    Wood

To Toronto
    Sengun
    Barnes