1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should the Rockets seriously explore trading UP to #4?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HealthyHamstring, Jun 3, 2022.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Kings get: Trash
    Rockets get: Treasure

seems legit?

2. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Yes, we should 100% explore this. It would only work if the Kings are truly going all in next year, but it's doubtful they would see a 'win now' package based on Wood, EG, and Tate strong enough.

Hopefully we could hang onto Sengun, but either way we would have the best young core in the league. Also with another potential top 5 pick and money in FA next season.

xaos likes this.
  3. xaos

xaos Member

Yeah I would imagine it'll take some third team

groovemachine likes this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

Ivey's shooting form isn't perfect and I don't expect him to ever be a sharp shooter from the perimeter. However I am not that worried about it, he still shot 36% on 3's and his percentage of REALLY deep 3's is the highest in college basketball. I am sure they would work with him some on his mechanics, but he has been well coached. As for his footwork, I think it is fine - he is incredibly quick and he gets to the corner better than anyone in the last handful of drafts. The last guy that got to the corner like him was Morant.

Ivey should be a legitimate 6'4", he has been measured several times, including in international play. He also has a long wingspan and has put on muscle so he should be able to guard well if he puts in the effort.

He was in a terrible system for his strengths. He played next to a point guard that was very limited, and the spacing was terrible with so many big men on that team and the style they play. He may take a year or two for his shot to really level out, but he has all of the attributes to be a high level scorer.

His only concerns are whether he will be a good enough creator to be a combo guard. I personally think he will, the system he was in held him back and it was only this year that they wanted him more involved passing. He should be, as a passer, similar to Dwayne Wade. Not elite like Harden, but good enough to run an offense or co-run an offense.

The only other negative I have ever heard about him was in international competition where an off the record teammate said he was selfish, but most that have broken down the tape don't really see that, and his athleticism translated well in international play, including against elite competition.

There are seldom any guarantees, but players with his degree of quickness and body control with contact have a high percentage of being at least really good scorers.... Morant, Fox and only a few others are that quick and that size.

5. ball king23

ball king23 Member

I am with you on that trading up for ivey at 4 would make us loose some draft capital especially in 2023 is a big year for prime talent i would save my draft capital for next year and package for a bigger fish next year if the right deal comes along for next year

6. ball king23

ball king23 Member

Nook got a question for you at 17 this year to throw a guess at 17 who would we get if we were looking at a guard at 17 or Small forward at 17

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Not Sengun!

8. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I'm pretty sure there aren't many Kings fans out there playing around with the trade machine to figure out how to trade pick 4 for Christian Wood plus change...

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

I mean that's along the same lines of there aren't many kings fans that wanted to get rid of Haliburton

don grahamleone and alethios like this.
  10. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

The Rockets picked up 5 rookies last year and will have two more this year plus a bunch of other really young players. I'd say they are rookied out, over the cap, and have a pretty full roster. If anything, they need to dump assets.

The only players that truely transform a team are a "generational" type of player. The odds that we won't have the next Hakeem, Lebron, or Nowiski.

Odds are this draft will be like the 2012 draft where the most impactful player was Damian Lillard @ #6. He's a great player but not a generational player that can carry a team solo. Even Kobe never carried any of his teams solo.

We clearly don't have a Kobe or Lebron or Hakeem in this draft.

giddyup and groovemachine like this.
  11. HealthyHamstring

That's why that pick cannot be in play unless it has protections on it. I would be pretty open to moving Sengun for Ivey however

12. xaos

xaos Member

Sounds like you're making a case to consolidate some of our rookies/young guys into a higher ceiling rookie. :)

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

finding a generational player isn't the only way to transform a team. That's just one of many avenues. Boston is a real time example of not having a generational player and winning. They found their stars who they drafted and worked year after year to get better, stuck with them, and surrounded them with really good players to compliment them. Which is another way to transform a team.

14. fattz

fattz Member

Porter, Wood, Tate, Gordon, Martin, #17 & Milwaukee FRP (any or ALL)—> we will take ANY contract back to make it work.
    …FOR…

15. HealthyHamstring

See this isnt far fetched to me at all, does anyone think that the Rockets FO is exploring something like this seriously?

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

Pass on Ivey.

Ivey is the next gen DRose/JWall. Yeah he'll put up crazy highlight reels and make an instant impact but then he'll blow out his legs in 5 yrs and then you just have a liability. I honestly dont know if Ivey is better than KPJ.

If the Rox want to consolidate their assets then thats fine but I'd rsther have Jalen Duren at the 4. Duren, Banchero and Green would be a good core to build around.

17. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don't need Ivey with KPjr already in the fold.

glynch likes this.
  18. roslolian

roslolian Member

Prob not since thats a ton of assets to give up for no 4.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

if they were smart, they would be but........

Nook likes this.
  20. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Is Gordon, Wood, Tate, #17, #45, 2023 milw 1st enough for #4? I don't think it is and it's the best we can do besides adding more picks...

Kings get: Gordon, Wood, Tate, #17, #45, 2023 Milw 1st

Rockets get: #4, Plumlee, Holiday, Harkness, Davis, Len

Charlotte gets: Holmes