1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Should the Rockets seriously explore trading UP to #4?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HealthyHamstring, Jun 3, 2022.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The issue isn't that the Rockets overvalue KPJ, it's that no one outside the Rockets value him enough to trade a significant piece for him.

We basically can offer up some combo of KPJ, Wood, Tate, Gordon, and a number 17 for the 4th pick. Why would Sactown want any of that when they are sure to get better offers? They are gunning for Donovan Mitchell, not KPJ.

saleem likes this.
  2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I'd trade #17 and Sengun for the #4. In a realistic scenario (since the Kings wouldn't want/need Sengun with Sabonis on the roster), I'd trade them:

Josh Christopher
    Christian Wood
    2022 #17
    Brooklyn's 2024 1st
    Brooklyn's 2026 1st

Harrison

Essentially it boils down to Sacramento being comfortable in trading the #4 for two potentially great picks in 2024 and 2026. JC and Wood swapped for Barnes is to give them more depth and get them out of having to worry about giving Barnes an extension after next season. Sure, they might have to worry about that with Wood but they get one season to see if he's worth an extension and besides Wood is 4 years younger than Barnes. JC gives them another player in their guard rotation and could actually be a good complementary player next to Fox or Mitchell.

I don't have an issue trading those Brooklyn picks away because it sets us up to pick a really really good player at 4 to go with Green and Banchero. We open up so many different options with that pick.

You can pick Ivey to build a dynamic backcourt. You can pick Murray to fill a huge need at SF with this defense. You can go Daniels. You can risk it all on Sharpe. The possibilities to accelerate the rebuild (and do it correctly) > the Brooklyn picks imo.

raining threes, rhee and Corrosion like this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

We asked why Sac does things for years. That’s pretty much why

4. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

If you're going to offer that much, maybe consider offering it to OKC first? Wood, #17, and Brooklyn's picks for Favors and #2. I would think that package may tempt Presti. Then draft Chet and Paolo and call it a day.

5. xaos

xaos Member

There's no way to know exactly how valuable those Nets picks are right now, but by trading away those picks and us essentially not having control over our own picks during that same time frame seems like a huge gamble. Although I believe Green/Banchero/Ivey/defensive players is a core to build championships off of... There's a possibility Ivey and Banchero do not work out and we don't get Wemby or Scoot. It's a gamble that could really pay out, but it's a gamble. Most trades are some form of a gamble anyways. Interesting trade for sure

steddinotayto likes this.
  6. steddinotayto

Shoot I'm down for that.

raining threes and Corrosion like this.
  7. steddinotayto

Yea but if this team can manage to elevate itself to, say, 5th or 6th seed by 2024 with a core of Green/Banchero/#4/Sengun then those picks, might not matter much in terms of getting us back into championship contending status. All signs point to them being pretty good right now but the Nets' fortune can sway in either direction so who knows how great or subpar they'll be.

8. Spooner

Spooner Member

I’m not touching those Nets picks. I’d rather give up our own future picks before I even think about putting those picks on the table. We could conceivably trade our own picks for vets if we decided to compete now. We could have the option of being competitive while also tanking so long as we hold onto the Nets picks. I’m also pretty sure that is an overpay for #4.

Corrosion, steddinotayto and saleem like this.
  9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

joshuaao and cmoak1982 like this.
  10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Neither would I. There is no Hakeem or Bron in this draft.

11. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Didn't the Lakers essentially have this with Ingram, DLo, and Randle? Randle was a 7th pick, but the other two were 2nd overall picks. All on the same team and between 19-21 years old. That did nothing but result in another awful year which would net them yet another #2 overall pick in Lonzo Ball. They even had a young Kyle Kuzma who seemed promising his rookie year too along with Alex Caruso, I don't think we are guaranteed to be the next OKC big 3 with a few picks. Really amazing who was on that 2017-2018 Lakers Roster w Lonzo, Ingram, Randle, Kuzma, Caruso. We would be closer to that Lakers squad I think , Silas is probably much worse than Luke Walton.

OKC had a lot more than just 3 top picks that all panned out, they were just very well put together by an elite GM. Thabo was an elite wing defender in his prime, Reggie Jackson was a rookie on that team, Serge Ibaka was instrumental to their success as well. It takes more than just grabbing 3 random players at the top of the draft in back to back years. I think last year was rare in the sense the top guys mostly all panned out, we typically have a bust somewhere in the top 4. We will likely see that happen this year.

#192 BallSoHarden, Jun 7, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2022
  12. steddinotayto

The Lakers also had a mediocre front office at that time. Stone might not be on Presti’s level yet but he’s done more in one draft than Magic Johnson and Kupchak did during that Ingram, Russell and Randle period.

Richie_Rich and Nook like this.
  13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

That seems to me to be a massive overpay. That's the equivalent of 5 first round picks .... two of them unprotected.

I might give one of those Brooklyn picks but not two and not with Christopher & 17 too.

Wood, one of those picks and 17.

Wood, Tate one of those picks.

Christopher is on my untouchable list.

14. Nook

Nook Member

There are no guarantees, you have to draft well. I would point out the Lakers never get AD without those picks and they don’t win a title without AD.

xaos likes this.
  15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

pumping up that trade value!

16. steddinotayto

My boy Sengun <3

hakeem94 and cmoak1982 like this.
  17. steddinotayto

That's fine. Take JC out and I'll still give them those Brooklyn picks.

18. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

That trade likely increases the chances of getting a top pick next season.
    I would wait in the Brooklyn picks. One of those could be a top 5 pick themselves.

steddinotayto likes this.
  19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

When the Rockets trade #17 for 2 deferred 2nd Round picks you all gonna be mad

hakeem94 likes this.