1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should the Rockets pursue Donovan Mitchell?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HealthyHamstring, May 5, 2024.

?

Should the Rockets pursue Donovan Mitchell?

This poll will close on Jul 4, 2024 at 2:31 PM.
  1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. No

23 vote(s)
    52.3%
  3. Depends on the price

13 vote(s)
    29.5%
  1. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

what would you give up for him? assuming he is willing to wink wink an extension

2. HealthyHamstring

Jalen, Brooks, #9 pick, 2026 BKN pick is probably the maximum I could stomach. Anything over that is a little risky

3. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

that's a really small price, i would probably do that

4. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

i like Mitchell... hes got his warts - but who r u gonna get that doesnt?

From what I know of him (casual observer) - he's got talent and hes not a diva... so yeh, depending on the price, i'd let Ime see if he could funnel that talent into a championship team...

5. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

They doubled their win total in one year under Ime. Give him another year to see how they progress before making a big move. That includes signing anyone to a big extension. Come this time next year, we should be enjoying some postseason victories and they'll get paid accordingly.

Yes my glass is half full.

Y2JT likes this.
  6. HealthyHamstring

The price really depends if he’s going to sign an extension or not.

Without reassurances of a Mitchell extension, it’s really hard for any team to empty the cupboard any more than the above offer to only get 1 guaranteed year of him

Shark44 and astrosrule like this.
  7. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I've been a "no" on Mitchell, but call it recency bias he seems like the kind of Alpha scorer/vet that would slot well next to FVV and adapt well with what Ime's doing. Now it depends on the cost and whether he'll sign an extension. Jalen, Dillon, and draft capital would be what I'd want to offer. Probably not enough, but I'm a stingy fan GM wanna be. :D

NewAge and HealthyHamstring like this.
  8. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Back up the truck for Booker....Not only would I gladly fork out big dough, but I'd be ready to send PHX the world.

9. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Couldnt name an exact price. I would want to have enough assets remaining to pull off a bigger deal down the line. So it’s probably not a realistic price.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Of course, we should be looking to get better with every move...he would make us better.

Would rather pay him the max than Jalen.

There is no guarantee holding on to ANY of our players makes us better, or a championship contender, if you can flip a few of them for REAL stars - especially ones with 5+ years of PRIME left, you do it.

DD

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I just do not see Mitchell go from the 2nd round Jazz to the 2nd round Cavs and a 3rd time to the possibly 2nd round Rockets......

If he wants to change that, then it would be time for him to ring chase properly.

12. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Honestly, i consider Mitchel an A++ Robin....
    Granted he's not Batman - u'd have to have a phenomenally stacked and balanced team to win a championship with him as your #1 guy - Pistons style...
    That said... is Batman on the trading block? lol
    At this point in the game imo its just about acquiring the most talent you can (the higher the better) - and hoping u dont get some huge contract blowup in your face (due to injury or diva-ness...) - and hope your young talent takes a jump to put you over the hump to contention... or maybe u get lucky and all that midlevel talent gels into a Pistons style championship team....
    I accept championships are typically gonna be all about superstars - so if u got a superstar to get - go for it...
    If not, id rather work the Pistons model than just 'staying flexible' and waiting for a superstar to fall outta the sky...
    imo...

DaDakota likes this.
  13. NewAge

NewAge Member

Should I pursue Beyoncé?

MadMax and carl_herrera like this.
  14. prs325

prs325 Member

We already have Mitchell on the roster. He's even bigger, younger, and a genuine bully
    Cam Whitmore

15. OremLK

OremLK Member

I voted "no" because I don't think we should acquire him for any price that would be remotely reasonable/fair. I mean obviously if you can get him for spare parts and a couple second rounders you do it, but keeping things within the actual realm of possibility? Nah.

First and most importantly--I think the odds are very high he declines his player option and flies the coop. I don't think he wants to be in Houston.

Second, he doesn't play defense, and as a result, he's just not that good. He'll take the ball away from our younger players and we won't get a championship out of it, maybe not even a playoff series win. He's one of those Carmelo Anthony type of dudes in the sense that he only plays on one end and plays selfishly.

Lastly, he's about to turn 28, so he's already as good now as he'll ever be, and there's a very real possibility he's already well into his decline phase by the time our young core hit their peak years as players. So he's not a great fit for our timeline (though granted, better than some of these dudes people have been kicking about like KD and Paul George).

So basically, unless we can blackmail Cleveland into giving him to us for a bag of chips so we can turn around and flip him for a trove of assets at the deadline, I'm just not interested.

Y2JT likes this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Depends on the price, obviously we do it for a lowball offer of Jalen and picks but there's no reason to think the Cavs would want to get ripped off like that.

17. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

The stretch of Jalen going off should have the Rockets pass on a guy like Mitchell. There are some flaws in his game and with that massive contract.
    Now, if Booker comes on the market? Let's go.

Stephen_A likes this.
  18. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

get ripped off trading for him, then get ripped off trading him, would be funny

Bobbythegreat and Stephen_A like this.
  19. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

The knock on him is his playoff performances thru the years. He couldn’t get those Jazz teams over the hump and he is very inconsistent thru the years. For some reason he shoots 3s poorly and commits a lot of TO’s in the playoffs. If people complain about Jalen being a “volume” scorer or “chucker” what will they say of Mitchell as historically he has been inefficient in the playoffs.

20. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I think he’s a very good player, but yes, I would be leery about giving up too much. If he would sign an extension, Green+#9+Brooks+2027 Rockets First