1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should the Rockets match the DMo offer sheet?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Dec 2, 2016.

?

Should the Rockets match DMo's offer sheet

1. Yes

77.1%
  2. No

22.9%
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

From Woj - wow, read this.....easy match...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources-donatas-motiejunas-signs-offer-sheet-with-nets-005834304.html

The Brooklyn Nets have signed Houston Rockets restricted free-agent forward Donatas Motiejunas to a four-year and likely $35 million offer sheet, league sources told The Vertical.

The terms of the offer sheet are rife with protections against recurring back problems that have sidelined Motiejunas and could make it even more palatable for the Rockets to match and retain the 7-footer. The contract delivers the ability to void the final two years of the contract, as well as an opportunity to bail on the second season before the end of the 2016-17 season, league sources told The Vertical.

The offer sheet has Motiejunas earning $5 million upon the signing of the contract, and the team has to decide by Jan. 10 whether to pay him another $3.5 million for the remainder of the 2016-17 season, league sources said.

By March 1, the team has to pick up the option for $9 million owed to Motiejunas for the 2017-18 season, sources said.

The final two years of the contract are non-guaranteed, league sources said, which means the team can cut Motiejunas loose without paying the balance of the contract. Before the 2018-19 and 2019-20 seasons, there’s a July 7 trigger date to make a decision on Motiejunas’ deal. Each of the four years includes $1 million in likely bonuses, and $500,000 in unlikely bonuses, sources said.

The Nets delivered the offer sheet electronically to the Rockets on Friday night, and Houston has until midnight Tuesday to match the offer sheet and retain Motiejunas.

Concerns over recurring back issues – which included surgery to repair a ruptured disk in 2015 – impacted the interest NBA teams had in signing Motiejunas, 26, to an offer sheet over the summer.

If acquired, Nets general manager Sean Marks and coach Kenny Atkinson view Motiejunas as a power forward playing beside center Brook Lopez.

Houston had been offering a deal in the $8 million range annually, but talks had been sparse between the sides for months.

Motiejunas, who played 37 games a year ago following surgery, and the Rockets had been unable to come to terms on an agreement, causing the 7-footer to miss training camp and Houston’s 12-7 start to the regular season. Coach Mike D’Antoni has been eager to incorporate Motiejunas into the Rockets’ frontcourt and join the current No. 4 seed in the Western Conference.

The uncertainty around Houston’s willingness to agree to a long-term deal with Motiejunas was because of his back issues. Motiejunas was examined by Nets doctors recently, league sources said, and the results gave comfort to Brooklyn to move forward with the offer sheet.

For the Nets, this is the third restricted free agent offer sheet executed under Marks. July offer sheets to Portland guard Allen Crabbe (four years, $75 million) and Miami guard Tyler Johnson (four years, $50 million) were matched. With a franchise devoid of draft picks and talent, Marks has been determined to find creative ways to improve the Nets’ roster.

Taking a shot at Motiejunas is a pre-emptive move on next summer’s free agent market.

The Rockets had a three-way trade that would’ve sent Motiejunas to Detroit voided last season. The Pistons doctors failed Motiejunas on his physical exam because of the back.

---------------------------

DD

robbie380 likes this.
  2. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

ALL sounds good. Still ready to see the aftermath of our own team physical on Dmo. Sure, Brooklyn'a physical made them feel comfortable moving forward with a deal...a deal that provides plenty of opportunities to bail if his back issues flare up again. I'm thinking there must have been some sort of lingering issue. I've never heard of a contract being structured in such a unique way. The next couple of days will be interesting

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I honestly can't think of a valid reason not to match the deal.

LewLLOYD likes this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He should just play basketball, wherever that might be, redeem himself. Very simple.

Do not listen to your agent, to those homers!

Prove yourself again in the NBA, make yourself great again.

5. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

Considering he was healthy in the playoffs... there's a huge built-in insurance policy in this contract. MATCH.

<SARCASM/> Then we can trade him for TJones if it doesn't work out. </SARCASM>

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. Lightsnowaction

I hope Ryan Anderson, though is pla
    Too much low risk, high reward for Houston. Match likely.

7. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

MAYBE, because this dude hasn't played basketball in a very long time.

8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

After reading that it's an easy match. Such a low risk contract that you have to do it. I hope he is actually healthy.

RudyTBag likes this.
  9. Tha_Dude

Is it easy? I dont think so man. This guy could be partially paralized for all we know. You want to pay him 10 million dollars? Be my guest man.

Far out.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So? Why is that a reason not to match it? If he can't play, you can bail on it in a month If you want to see him play a bit more, you can still bail on the deal in March.....after which only one more season is guaranteed at an incredibly low price. Seriously this is one of the most team friendly contracts you can imagine. Him not playing basketball since the playoffs simply isn't a valid reason not to match.

11. MrSabotage

MrSabotage Member

This is one of the sole reasons why they should and might do it. For all the talk about D-Mo's "spacing" he's a career 30% three point shooter. Can't defend on the perimeter at all, isn't a rim protecter either. Along with being a below average rebounder. He can bring some scoring to the table and some OK playmaking but not much else. Maybe his three point shot will improve in the Rockets system if they match.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You do remember that he played last season..including in the playoffs right? The ONLY reason he hasn't played this season is due to not having a contract. Also there's no chance whatsoever that he's "partially paralized" LOL, and I don't know where you could have come up with such a weird idea.

butterball and roslolian like this.
  13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I'm sure everything is pending a physical and I'm not paying him a dime lol. Also, I'm guessing he isn't partially paralyzed since another team tried to sign him.

butterball likes this.
  14. Tha_Dude

Rockets would have signed this dude months ago if they thought he could play, dude. I think we all know he can't play, or you're an idiot. I don't think you're an idiot man.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They tried to sign him months ago, they just didn't offer him a deal that he was willing to accept. Given that he was able to play the last time he was under contract, and he hasn't gotten hurt since then, it's probably pretty likely that he can still play. If the Rockets didn't think he could still play, they wouldn't have offered him the QO.

butterball and Tha_Dude like this.
  16. Tha_Dude

When was the last time we've seen this guy on the court, man? It seems like I remember more of my basketball history at the YMCA than I do Dmo's history playing for the Rockets. Why is this guy so special? I would honestly take Stromile Swift over this dude righht now. Yes, I do smoke and like to get high but I still answer to the voice of reason.

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

BJ quoting Phil Jackson again.

18. roslolian

roslolian Member

Wow. Match all day every day.

This is a ridiculous risk-free contract if only the first year is guaranteed. 9M for DMo is a bargain if he gets back to his 2014/2015 form, and if he doesn't then just don't pay him and move on.

butterball likes this.
  19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The last game the Rockets played in the playoffs last season was the last time he played for the Rockets because that was the last time he was under contract. The time before was the game before, the time before that was the game before that, the time before that was the game before that, the time before was the game before that.

I mean, if you can't remember the end of last season.....I dunno man, that sounds like a "you" problem and perhaps you should smoke a bit less. It's not like we're talking about something a long time ago.

20. roslolian

roslolian Member

Dude that's why the contract is not guaranteed after 2 years, and it gives you a chance to bail next year as well.

This is the most no brainer Match I've ever seen, it's like when Landry was crying the Rox were lowballing him then he signed a 3M per year deal from another team while being a restricted free agent.

Tha_Dude likes this.