1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should the Rockets match the DMo offer sheet?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Dec 2, 2016.

?

Should the Rockets match DMo's offer sheet

1. Yes

77.1%
  2. No

22.9%
  1. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

I agree with this. I wonder if KJ is good enough to net a future low first or high second round pick. Low first is probably too optimistic. I can also see Montrezl being moved for a future asset since DMo can take the backup C minutes. It would stink to trade Montrezl after him playing so well the last couple of games, but I don't see him being anything more than an NBA journeyman at best.

If Morey can't find a way to trade players for picks, I hope Bobby Brown is cut. There is no need for him any more after the return of Bev.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, anything is possible according to Kevin Garnett. I think you might be right about being checked out by team doctors again, that was something I didn't think about.

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Yeah, I get your point, and it's fair. But to me, it diminishes the upside. With the original offer, the downside is the same -- if he busts, you essentially wasted $8M. That I agree with. But with the original proposal, if he succeeds, then the upside is that he's a bargain contract and you maintain full control of that salary slot for July 2017. Here, even in the "upside" scenario, you either have to ditch him before the playoff run or commit to that uncertainty.

Now to be fair, if he plays well, then in theory it should make the market for D-Mo's services grow around the league, and that would likely make it easier to find a palatable destination for him. But it still introduces SOME risk to the equation, which makes this a tough call.

craguin, Vivi and heypartner like this.
  4. JJWhat?

JJWhat? Member

Isn't it hilarious how EVERYONE is talking about not matching because we can't trade him later? And then EVERYONE ***** on LeBron and Durant for leaving Cavs/OKC. Teams and fans treat players like cheap hookers and then they complain when the player leaves or don't take a favorable lowball offer.

#244 JJWhat?, Dec 4, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
    butterball likes this.
  5. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Because trading D-Mo and trading Lebron or Durant is the same thing? Amirite?

Comparisons that would make apples and oranges alike blush.

Gotta love CF.

6. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

I agree with you. Looking at all angles Prokhorov favors the Eastern European block players.
    D-Mo/Nets have some leverage in a "We might waive D-Mo Jan 10th and he becomes
    a free agent who may go to to Western Conference contender". -bypass Houston hold.
    If they do that you know Prokhorov was middling. I would still Pass. I would like salary space
    for a trade of a shot blocking Center/PF at the trade deadline. If Capela goes down the
    Rockets are in trouble with rim protection. D-Mo and Nene have never been shot blockers.

#246 Jatman20, Dec 4, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

The only reason to make someone a RFA is you intend to match. If you let him walk with no return, it was a failed stratagem

DD

8. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Not necessarily. While an intent to match/keep the player is obviously the overwhelmingly primary motivation for making a player a restricted free agent, there are also secondary competitive advantages to forcing other teams to overpay your free agent to force your team not to match and resulting in clogging up your competitor's cap.

For instance, the Chandler Parsons offer sheet by Dallas in 2014 was a shrewd move by the Mavericks, but it was a NECESSARY move to keep the Rockets from matching. However, all the downside with the Parsons deal that made the Rockets pass were equally applicable to the Mavs. They were never going to be able to trade that Parsons deal. Fast forward two years, and the Mavs lost Parsons for nothing. Had Parsons been an unrestricted free agent in 2014, odds are that whatever team signed him would have been able to get him under a more tradeable contract.

Rockets2K likes this.
  9. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

When can we match by?

10. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Sorry to all of you who wish him well and invite him back, BUT i suggest that we should have the extra money for next season
    as the top players want more than $25 mill a season, so we need to have every penny if we are going to make the
    Houston Rockets the TOP TEAM next season and possibly for several years to come. Do not believe that D-Mo is a factor that
    will significantly improve our team. I say NO!

11. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

To have cap room to bring in a top player season we're going to need to make trades to clear cap space anyway. If that's the case, what's the big deal about trading D-Mo too? He's already netted a first round pick. If he proves to be healthy, maybe we can trade him for a pick again.

craguin likes this.
  12. motleydeflep6

motleydeflep6 Member

If they match they'll do it right before the deadline

13. Vivi

Vivi Member

Why? (genuinely asking)

14. 9baller

9baller Member

When was the last time Morey matched a RFA, and how long did he wait?

15. Wolverrines

Wolverrines Member

He has a one year no trade clause

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

RFA Isn't a strategy, it is a team's Right.

You're weird :)

The reason you make someone an RFA is because you can, so why not? It gives you right of first refusal is why you do it

It's like Checking in poker, somewhat. It's just a tool to make someone else bid first and you fold if it's too rich for you. It helps you not overbid.

Plus you can still sign the player without another bid, like UFA

Folding doesn't mean you lost anymore mean than losing in UFA rules. But at least you get to match the opening bid

kjayp likes this.
  17. touring_low

touring_low Member

IIRC, I read somewhere the deadline to match is sometime on Tuesday.

18. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

I think it was Kyle Lowry?

9baller likes this.
  19. 9baller

9baller Member

20. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Deadline to match is 10:59 pm Houston time on Monday night.

touring_low, Vivi and Snow Villiers like this.