1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should the Rockets match the DMo offer sheet?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Dec 2, 2016.

?

Should the Rockets match DMo's offer sheet

1. Yes

77.1%
  2. No

22.9%
  1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I like D-Mo too, but I'm concerned with his injury history. He will have to fight for minutes from the improving Trez, and of course from Ryan, and we all know D-Mo gets discouraged quickly when he has to sit on the bench.

I'm leaning towards no,for matching the offer sheet, but if he is healthy, then I wouldn't mind him coming back.

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Amen to Bima starting a thread, preferably stickied.

3. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Bima's take never clogs. We need your help. Too many uninformed opinions; i'm confused. Bima to the rescue please

oh yeah ...and i would match!

Richie_Rich likes this.
  4. MrSabotage

MrSabotage Member

Motiejunas taking all of Dekker's minutes at the 4 is a terrible idea unless the matchup is overly unfavorable for Dekker. He is playing fantastic and should continue to get consistent minutes as both a small ball 4 and the 3. When Dekker is playing well he is a perfect small ball 4 in this system. D-Mo could potentially be a small ball 5 & occasionally play with Capela but again him taking all of Dekker's minutes at the 4 would be a mistake.

DonKnock likes this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Not really. Have DMo take half of the backup 5 minutes, give the other half to Harrell, and give Dekker all of Brewer's minutes at SF and the team is greatly improved. Not to mention that in that scenario the team is significantly deeper.

DMO (DJ remix) and TheMystery008 like this.
  6. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

added depth for this season, and no impact on cap space next season. yup. why not match?

7. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

We don't have cap space to sign somebody else... but we can add DMo for this year due to re-signing a current player... If I'm understanding correctly, this structure gives us the ability to cut loose of him after this year with no further ramifications.... We have until March to decide whether or not we want to keep him at <10m next year.... the only thing matching the offer sheet does is, it costs Les some over the cap money this year...
    I see no downside accept to Les' pocketbook - for money we couldn't 'spend' otherwise...

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Bima,

You should do a new thread dedicated to the financial particulars, would be good for the community to hear your take.

After reading some articles and seeing year two is guaranteed if he is on the roster March 2nd, I am not sure we match.

DD

9. chandlerbang21

Unless NENE will be sidelined for a while ...no

10. edward nigma

edward nigma Member

11. 9baller

9baller Member

I don't know if this has been stated already, but the Rockets just moved Wiltjer to the dleague, per Calvin Watkins.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Did they cut him, or just assign him there, because if it is just assigned it doesn't free up a roster spot.

DD

13. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

That's simply not so. If you're going to list the close games that could have gone either way list all of them, not just the ones we might have lost but the ones we might have won too. I don't think we won that many more squeakers than we lost, but if we did that's only good news and shows that The Rockets have become a team that wins close games. Last year we were the opposite of that.

PhiSlamma15 likes this.
  14. joomba

joomba Member

he needs some time to improve, I expect him to be part of our regular roster next year

15. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

The "ax to grind" was more of a side issue, not the main point. Yes, if there's a good option for Motiejunas, I don't think he (or B.J.) would let their history with Daryl override common sense. However, given the limited minutes likely to come his way on such a good Houston team, I'm not sure the market for his services will be quite that deep, so it could become an issue. Likely? No. But something to keep in the back of your mind, when considering fall-back scenarios. We'll see on the $8.5M -- for me, I'll have to see to believe that an NBA front office is willing to treat that amount of money in such an experimental manner.

I wouldn't mind keeping D-Mo at all, because I absolutely think it's in the best interest of the 2016-17 Rockets, and I'm really enjoying this group. I'm just a bit skeptical, given how much Daryl has a known preference for certainty in his offseason planning. I understand it if they don't, but would be very happy if you're right and they keep him.

heypartner likes this.
  16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

thx for responding...always enjoy your take.

BimaThug's estimate is now $8.3m. I say they are willing to walk away, based on the fact the original offer was $8m guaranteed. So, money isn't the difference, although the March 1st deadline means he can't play in the playoffs if waived. But if he's a bust...he ain't playing anyhow.

see what I'm saying?

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Even though I've still yet to hear a legitimate reason not to match the Nets' offer sheet, I'm starting to think Morey won't. If he was going to do the logical thing and match the deal, it would make sense to do it as often as possible in order to get DMo into the system as soon as possible. I would think if it was going to be done, it would be done by tomorrow. Waiting till the last second and then matching just makes no sense unless Morey is trying to trade people to make a roster spot.

18. craguin

craguin Member

Why couldn't he be waived and claimed on March 1st and still be eligible?

19. heypartner

@Bobbythegreat

DMo's in Houston, so maybe they made him do another physical and have dinner with MDA again. Or maybe Morey and the team had an Atlanta Hawks viewing party today to laugh at Dwert's 44pt loss, and didn't get around to it.

DonKnock likes this.
  20. heypartner

I meant play for us...vs a June 30th deadline, for instance.