1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should the Rockets match the DMo offer sheet?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Dec 2, 2016.

?

Should the Rockets match DMo's offer sheet

1. Yes

77.1%
  2. No

22.9%
  1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I don't know, man. Sounds like you are equally overplaying the angle that BJ and (by some sort of brainwashing) DMo wants to screw Morey over if matched. DMo has final say on blocking trades.

The Offer Sheet reads to me almost like something Morey wrote as the last contract negotiation, and BJ used it as a template for the Nets, just marginally upping the $s.

Why would DMo block a trade to a good to great situation in the Summer just because BJ would relish it. Further, you are overplaying saying Les would not gamble $8.5m (with a earlier $5m cutoff) to get a really good look at DMo and be willing to walk away, if DMo is a bust. After all, dude had not problems paying two coaching salaries (btw: did a Set-off clause kick in when McHale took the TV analyst job).

Here's how I read it:
    • Jan 10th reads like a compromise to equal the Qualifying Offer to me. $5m to get a good look, and let him go as UFA if you don't have faith...as a gesture of Good Will for previous services rendered. We should have a damn good assessment of his back by then. Is it ideal, no. But understandable compromise.
    • March 1st allows us one last chance to cut him for "Lack of Skill" if MDA says he doesn't have much hope for using him in the playoffs.
    • And did you ever think Morey would have gotten a better deadline than June 30th (like Lawson) anyhow. That doesn't allow you flexibility to negotiate with free agents prior to locking-in, either
    • fwiw: 2017 total is $8.5m, if we cut him.
    • The rest, as you say, is very favorable to the Team. So, since it is sooo favorable in the event DMo produces, I have confidence that DM will not screw Morey just to screw with him, if presented with a good to very good situation in the Summer.
    • And prospective teams would be falling all over themselves for that contract if DMo returns to form. We'd be able to clear some or all of his contract to make room for a Star player if need be....no sweat.
    Are these ideal options, no.
    Are they reasonable compromises that read very much like something a determined Morey would have already discussed with BJ, yes.

Bottomline:
    We get a really good look at DMo to assess whether he's hampered or not. The only problem is do you foolishly let the March 1st deadline expire over money, if he hasn't returned to 2015 form by then. I'm sure Les and Morey are ruthless enough to part with $8.5m if the see a bust, f not earlier at Jan 10th. And regardless, you're saying this might scare them off and not gamble on matching. I'm very confident that they are willing to test the waters, since they never cut him to begin with. $5m/$8.5m won't play into decision to match or not.​

ps: BJ has a fiduciary responsibility to provide his clients with good services. DMo doesn't need him anymore, except for endorsements, and can fire him at will if doesn't perform. Why would DMo listen to his agent if he likes a trade deal, just to help BJ carry some ax to grind with Morey? That's a stretch. And why would DMo stay just to screw over Morey, if presented with a good team to play for? You're overplaying the ax to grind part.

#201 heypartner, Dec 3, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
    Jayzers_100, Deuce, Vivi and 5 others like this.
  2. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

I agree with this assessment. The risk is losing a few million dollars this year but the potential gain is a great role player that will provide depth and excel in MDA's system.

3. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

You can't send him to the Dleague unless he will request it by himself.

And base on his situation, there is zero chance he will request to play there.

4. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

That's not true, and literally the reason they may not match. DMo and his agent have veto power on all trades for a year.

"The Nets, sources said, specifically waited until this week to sign Motiejunas, in part because they hope Houston will be less inclined to match an offer for him now. The Rockets will be unable to trade Motiejunas for a year without his consent if they elect to match the offer."

Nets sign Donatas Motiejunas to offer sheet, but with protections http://es.pn/2h3RGjU
    via @ESPN App http://es.pn/app

5. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

20 games into the new season now, the only team that is willing to offer Dmo a contract : the Nets.

Which is the worse team in the league and majority of their rosters are Dleaguers.

And they still not willing to fully guarantee a full season of salary in this contract.

It's time to let go and move on.

6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think this is going to end one or the other way. Next year or later. Or this year moving to New Jersey.

The Rockets are one of the few NBA teams that is letting Dmo, injured or not, tag along.

8. heypartner

Correction: DMo has veto power...not BJ.

If DMo returns to form, teams will be lining up in the Summer for that contract. All Morey has to do is find a good situation for DMo. You're overplaying the angle that DMo veto's everything like a President against a hostile Congress, just to help BJ carry some ax to grind with Morey.

It's just business. DMo will accept a good situation. We aren't his enemy enough for him to make career decisions out of resentment and revenge.

The only issue is do we have the ruthlessness to cut him if we see a bust by March 1st. If he's not a bust, and he showcases well in the Playoffs, he's the most tradable contract in the League, if you just find him a good situation. He won't veto just to veto.

Vivi likes this.
  9. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

OH SNAP...I like the deal...gives more flexibility on the bench as well as the option to send him down to the D-League if he/head job cries about a potential trade down the road that would be an upgrade....DLeauge..Nice I hadn't thought of that lol

10. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Salaries do not begin to automatically prorate downward until January 10, so presumably he would get the full amount.

Hey, guys. I'm considering doing a little write-up of MY BEST GUESS of the figures for D-Mo's offer sheet. Since I don't actually know what the exact figures are, I'm hesitant to put it in a blog post. Should I put it in this thread? Another existing D-Mo thread? Or should I create a new thread for it?

I don't want to clog the BBS with yet another D-Mo thread, but I will if enough people would prefer to access it more easily without searching within an existing thread.

craguin, xtruroyaltyx, Deuce and 4 others like this.
  11. JJWhat?

JJWhat? Member

12. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Thanks Bima!

I vote for you making a new thread. Lots of Dmo threads but just because there's a plethora of junk ones shouldn't prevent you from making a useful one imo.

13. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Wiltjer just got assigned to RGV Vipors. Wonder if that means anything pertaining to DMO decision.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's not factually accurate. He was only unavailable for one playoffs, the coaching staff was too foolish to use him the other 2.

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

another vote for a separate thread.

16. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Low risk ... High reward? Multiple team options? This has Maurice written ALL over it!!!

(P.S.) Dmo should fire BJ immediately after joining the team! :cool:

17. Coog4Rockets

Coog4Rockets Member

After sitting out the first month-plus of the NBA season without a contract, Houston Rockets restricted free agent Donatas Motiejunas has at last agreed to an offer sheet from the Brooklyn Nets.

The Rockets now have 72 hours to decide whether to match the offer.

Should they? And would the addition of Motiejunas help the Nets? Let's take a look.

Reasonable gamble for Brooklyn
    While Motiejunas was at home over the summer waiting for his phone to ring with an offer, the Nets quietly signed journeyman Justin Hamilton, who spent last season playing in Spain. Like Motiejunas, Hamilton is a 7-footer with the ability to stretch the floor. He has shot 40.7 percent from 3-point range this season, though his career mark (37.4 percent) is probably a better indicator of what Brooklyn can expect from him going forward.

Motiejunas is the better shot creator, having averaged 14.8 points per 36 minutes over his career to Hamilton's 11.6 (12.4 so far this season). But only in his best season -- 2014-15, when he shot a career-high 36.8 percent from 3-point range -- has Motiejunas' true shooting percentage (.553) surpassed the worst mark of Hamilton's career to date (.551).

[​IMG]
    Warriors the best offense ever?
    With Kevin Durant, Steph Curry and two more All-Stars, will Golden State top the Steve Nash Suns and the best offenses in history? Kevin Pelton looks at how high the Warriors can go.

• [​IMG]
      Biggest NBA draft sleepers
      Which under-the-radar players have made the biggest leaps on NBA draft boards this season? Chad Ford takes a look at four names to know.

Besides his effectiveness posting up smaller defenders, Motiejunas' other advantage over Hamilton is his superior defense. Though he's not much of a rim protector, Motiejunas is mobile for a 7-footer, which enabled him to play power forward alongside Dwight Howard in Houston and would allow him to do the same alongside Brook Lopez in a role Hamilton has frequently played this year. The multiyear version of ESPN's real plus-minus (RPM) rates Motiejunas 1.6 points per 100 possessions better than league average defensively, while Hamilton rates a minus-0.4 -- exceptionally poor for a big man.

Still, the two similar players appear a lot closer in value than their new contracts would indicate. Hamilton got $6 million over two years from the Nets, (less than the total Motiejunas will make per season).

Of course, Brooklyn may find value in having both players, particularly if Lopez is traded or misses time due to injury. Hamilton has been the only other true center on the Nets' roster, with Luis Scola capable of sliding down from power forward.

Brooklyn GM Sean Marks is also on the hunt for talent wherever he can find it right now, having left some $18 million in cap space unspent last summer after offer sheets to restricted free agents Allen Crabbe and Tyler Johnson were matched by their original teams. Nonetheless, I probably would have kept that cap space clear in case a team wanted to dump a huge salary before the trade deadline. Given Motiejunas' health, it's also possible the Nets could do better with their money next summer, when fewer teams will have cap space.

Rockets must choose between depth and flexibility
    Brooklyn was in position to make an offer sheet to Motiejunas -- the first signed during the regular season under the current NBA collective bargaining agreement, per Bobby Marks of The Vertical -- only because Houston had been unable to strike a deal with the restricted free agent.

As ESPN's Marc Stein has reported, the Rockets were hoping to sign Motiejunas by last week, so that he'd be eligible to be traded before the deadline. Wherever Motiejunas lands now, he can't be traded this season. However, their offer was predictably team-friendly, as none of Motiejunas' salary was fully guaranteed beyond this year.

Given that context, Houston matching this offer sheet is no sure thing. Between concerns about Motiejunas' back and the Rockets' obsessive desire to maintain flexibility, they may not want to want to tie up so much salary down the road.

After all, Houston has gotten along just fine without Motiejunas. On paper, he would slot in as a backup power forward when Rockets centers Clint Capela and NenĂª are healthy, a spot that has been filled by combo forward Sam Dekker. Per NBAwowy.com, lineups with Dekker at power forward and James Harden on the court have outscored opponents by 8.7 points per 100 possessions.

Motiejunas could still be valuable to Houston. The Rockets could slide Dekker to small forward alongside Motiejunas in bigger, slower lineups that excise the struggling Corey Brewer from the rotation. Motiejunas would also be valuable as injury insurance.

The trade-off there is a fully guaranteed 2017-18 salary for Motiejunas that would swallow up most of the $10 million or so in projected cap space Houston can clear next summer. If the Rockets were eager to sacrifice that space, Motiejunas would already be wearing a Houston uniform. So my guess is, although this offer sheet is reasonable, the Rockets will probably decline to match.

18. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

I like DMo as much as the next guy, but the amount of posts he has generated on this BBS compared to his actual on court production is ludicrous.

DonKnock likes this.
  19. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I didn't know the veto went that long, thought it ended after season ended

If that's the case, I'd be more SURPRISED if Morey matches than if he doesn't, 70/30 on no match

20. heypartner

I favor starting a thread. Clutch will probably sticky it, so won't seem like clutter. Alternatives to burying it an existing DMo thread would be to add it to that "Paging BimaThug" thread, or your last stickied thread a Capology.

Here's the Paging Bima thread. It is 23 pages, though. lulz
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php?threads/paging-bimathug.263325/