1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should The Rockets Match The Bobcats Offer to Landry?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by v3.0, Sep 24, 2008.

?

Match Bobcats Offer?

1. Yes

86.1%
  2. No

13.9%
  1. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

I vote yes on this too. I think people are getting too caught up with the knee injury thing. If that pans out he's the 7th guy off the bench (behind Battier/Artest and Barry tied with him). If not, oh no... we're out 6 million.

He needs to improve his one on one game, but that can be taught. We need a guy like him to throw into a game into the Novak role, maybe give him the ball at the baseline so he can do some of his flashy dunks and get the teams spirits up.

2. AzNaNsZ

AzNaNsZ Member

I just don't see the risk, we haven't seen what he's been doing this summer and effectively its only a 2 year deal so its a low risk move

3. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

3 yr 9 mill is at the top of what we all thought fair was starting around $2.5 mil for 3 yr. So now it is at market value but still a good deal with the 3rd year option.

Let's finish it, sign, Landry, then Dorsey at ~$1 mil for 2 yr, and then Deke and we're on for camp.

4. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

In terms of money

If you think about future than NO! (We can sign or extend contracts of more important and better players)

If you think about now than YES! (More chances of winning now)

5. hooroo

hooroo Member

Pros:
    Primary backup PF
    Trade asset in December

Cons:
    Knees
    Luxury tax

6. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

I vote yes. You want a championship, you need depth at the 3, 4, and 5.
    You need size, quickness, explosiveness, rebounds, dunks, blocks and more dunks, and not just pretty-boy showoff dunks, but dunks in traffic baby.....

Vote to match
    [​IMG]

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

It doesn't matter if the team needs him on the court. Morey doesn't think that way. Morey's question is whether Carl Landry at $3 million a year is likely to be an asset or not if he is to deal Landry. I think the answer is "yes" and thus Morey will match.

There may indeed be too many PFs on the team to give minutes to, but deals can be made to turn your assets at one position into an asset at another position.

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Dorsey will be a better rebounder and a better defender as well as compared to Landry but he is more foul prone than Carl,Dorsey also can't shoot a free throw to save his life. Carl has a developing jump shot,not just a practice one and has a rudimentary but slowly developing low post game. Dorsey can finish on the break but I doubt if we are going to see occasional 20 point games from him.
    Both of these players have somewhat different roles. Scola is our best 4 but Landry complements him very nicely. They even play well together on the court.
    Landry is probably a 2-2.5M max player,but 3M is acceptable especially with the 3 year being a team option provided if he is healthy enough to play consistently. His fitness is my biggest concern.

We need a healthy Carl Landry to help our weak bench.Battier hopefully will come off the bench,and he/Carl will be our best bench players.

9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Having Landry sitting on the bench and not being needed on the court will reduce his trading value.No one pays 3M a year for only that reason. That kind of thinking is just nonsense.

Yes,there will be 4 PF's but Hayes/Dorsey will primarily be defenders/rebounders whereas Scola/Landry will function primarily as offensive players.

10. acshen

acshen Contributing Member

I voted no, we don't really need him that badly. I think everyone is kinda blinded by homerism, sure he was efficient but I don't know how effective he will be after his knee problem started up. He certainly wasn't the same post injury this year.

11. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

like adam wexler said today, who is really ahead of landry in the pecking order other than luis and when luis plays the 5 which he will for 10 or 15 minutes a game you can have both of the out there and you still need guys like hayes to come in and give both these guys rest. (talk about a run-on sentance)

anyway both scola and landry will be able to get 30 minutes a game and we can give yao more rest. sign him, pay the man he earned his money.

12. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

The thing i like about Landry is that he dunks sooo quick....that's what makes him dangerous around the basket. I mean you can have all the athleticism you want but if you're a slow dunker...you're not a good player period. EVEN a split second slow will make you a vulnerable player and easily blocked. The reason is that in the NBA players are extremely quick at getting to you and you need to be quick at everything. That's why Motombo get blocked easily cuz he's probably the slowest dunker in the world...taking too much time before he rise up.

13. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Landry is valuable and it's only 3 million per year....you can always trade him for a better player to fill your need. So i say sign him!!

14. KDavis

KDavis Contributing Member

This is exactly how i feel.

How come everyone seems to forget that Carl was able to do this AFTER his Knee injury. The man lost a fricking tooth for us, as van gundy would say he is a Knife Fighter and lord know we need to keep Yao's minutes down for injury sake .

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-4XDxYVXSxk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-4XDxYVXSxk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

15. hooroo

hooroo Member

Even a 2nd pick is worth more than nothing which is what the Rockets get if they let him go now.

16. engr chris

engr chris Member

We need Carl. Maybe not much for next season (bec. we're loaded upfront) but for our future.

17. eyhab27

eyhab27 Contributing Member

i think it could potentially mess up signings in the future if we dont match this offer. i think it is reasonable, personally.

18. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Yes, I think the Rockets should do that. Landry is a very good player and a good backup for Hayes, at least it worked last season. I know we have Dorsey but we can't be sure about him.

19. Pete the Cheat

I think the fact that a couple Aggies and Albert Einstain are leading the charge for the "No's" speaks volumes.

20. Ikorose

Ikorose Member

Yes we should do this and I think the decision has already been made. We might choose to wait till the 7th day to match like teams normally do. He and Chuck Hayes are near polar opposites and compliment each other in rotational situations so well.

To those who say "No, we got Joey Dorsey". Dorsey is not near the offensive threat Landry is. In fact Dorsey is just as incapable on offense(if not more) than Chuck Hayes with the exception of dunking. Landry can hit a midrange shot and has some legit post moves. Landry and Dorsey are also the same age, so that holds no water.