1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should The Rockets Match The Bobcats Offer to Landry?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by v3.0, Sep 24, 2008.

?

Match Bobcats Offer?

1. Yes

86.1%
  2. No

13.9%
  1. prs325

prs325 Member

Im in the minority and say no too. If his knee is as bad as Morey had advertised, Id rather skip matching Landry's offer and perhaps put that investment into giving more money to Ron Artest, if things work out this season. A sign and trade is also a good option if we have someone we like from the Bobcats :rolleyes: .

And isnt Luis Scola making about the same amount of money that Landry was offered? We have such an abundance in the power forward position (Scola, Dorsey, Hayes, Harris, Artest) that Landry can be expendable :eek: .

2. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i think you have to.

2/yr with a team option for a 3rd year, means he's an ending contract next year. easy to move if it doesn't work out.

3. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

I'm thinking the offer is somewhere in the low 4 mil/year range than 3

4. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

dorsey is a rookie, and he is a center.
    harris is a forward build in a guard body, any chance of him being good, is playing at 3.
    Artest can spell minutes at the 4 spot, but i rather him playing the 3 spot and bully them. :)
    That comes down to scola and hayes.

Only player i wanted from bobcats is gerald wallace- redundant as we already got artest and battier, and okafor- too expensive.

Oh, i will take a look at felton. Tough kid that playes pretty good defense. Handle the ball well, young, good size, could do with better shooting thou.

5. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I'm neither ya or na, but I do have concerns. I like landry and his upside, but he was trash when he had his knee bumped which told me he's a slow healer. Another thing is the lt threshold which les would have to sign off on. Next, how many 6'8 pf's that can't play center do we need? 3m per is as much as ur starter at that spot. I do like the pts and rebs from the two for 6m per. I guess morey will sign it.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Any player has to pass a physical to have the contract approved right?

DD

7. Aggie 99

Aggie 99 Member

I agree...I think that it will lock us up too long.

8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

yeah but that can mean anything.

I mean he has had a freaking ACL repair so its not like that knee would pass as 100% by a doctor.

9. World B Free

World B Free Member

if signing Landry stops us from re-signing Mutombo I think it is a bad idea.....

Artest and Dorsey can take up the slack at the 4 and 5 that Landry was pulling...... Scola is a year more into the system and can play longer stretches...... unless they are totally sold on Landry's knee being 100% sound I say either trade with the Bobcats for something we need... or let Landry walk and wish him well

10. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Definitely match.......Its a no brainer

If we're really stingy and wanted to keep under the lux cap then simply just move Luther Head

11. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Guys, Dorsey cannot do what Carl can do.

They are different players. Carl has the potential to be a good to very good mid-range shooter and potential to be VG free throw shooter.

12. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

The Rockets need a depth of talent, Boston is not just the big three!
    Landry has a special role going to the hoop and he is good at what he does.
    I say match most certainly. If we reduce Yao Mings Mins then Dorsey will get some playing time. I would rather have Landry on our team than him developing on another .This is one draft pick that mustn't get away!
    He is important for our future. :p

13. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

To loose Landry so that Mutombo can sit on the pine is not good business! :p

14. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Didn't Les say we'd be willing to go over the cap for "that special player"?

I mean we went over the lux cap for Mike James....and now we're prepared to do that for Carl "the next big 2nd rounder" Landry????? I don't think so.

15. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

EDITED TYPO OUT

16. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

This is a no brainer provided his knee is reasonably sound. 3 years/ 3 mil per seems very fair.

17. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Yeah, it sounds good to me as well. The knee bothers me, but at 3 mill a year it's worth the risk.

18. ambrose86

ambrose86 Rookie

this is cheap for the production landry brings. the 3rd yr is a team option anyways, so the downside to a knee injury is not too high either.

But thank you bobcats!

19. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Totally worth the risk. We've seen Landry's upside...and it looks good. And if his knee ends up being an issue $3mm for 3 years isn't going to kill our cap value.

Helluva lot better than $42mm for Kelvin Cato :D

20. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

3 years 9 mil with a team option is a very fair deal and low risk for both sides.

If he bombs we really only owe 6 mil over two years and the 2nd year is effectively an expiring contract, easy to use in trades.

If he is great we have a power forward at an excellent value for 3 years.

If he is good to OK we can keep him, or trade him for some value if we want to spend money on others (Artest, Scola, etc).