1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should the Rockets have traded for Chris Webber?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dharocks, Feb 26, 2005.

?

Should the rockets have traded for Webber?

1. Yes; he would have made us a legit contender

54 vote(s)
    20.2%
  2. No; too much money, too many injuries

169 vote(s)
    63.3%
  3. It's a moot point; the Kings would not have traded him to a WC team

44 vote(s)
    16.5%
  1. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Considering he was a cornerstone of the best passing offense in the league for 5+ years...

Seriously, he's always been unselfish and, up until the Peja incident, a likeable teammate. The knock on him has been that he's been too willing to pass the ball in crunch time, and wasn't a clutch player.

2. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I missed the the whole Peja-Webber drama. Was it just one incident or did they just not like each other?

3. dharocks

Webber, of all people, said that the Kings were playing soft "like a bunch of suburban kids". This was after the second round loss to Minnesota. It was taken as a slight to Divac and Peja.

4. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

The ole pot calling the kettle black...nice. Thanks.

5. sabonis

sabonis Contributing Member

I never said that he was a selfish player unwilling to pass. It's that he needs the have the ball in his hand in order to be entirely effective. We aren't the Kings so adding him would really equate to a huge shift in gameplan.

And we aren't doing so bad with the current gameplan we have.

I'll say it again, having Chris Webber would stifle out "ball-movement renaissance" and not to mention it would mean taking the ball out of the hands of T-Mac, Sura, and Yao.

Stuart

6. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

I agree with the fact that Webber needs the ball to be most effective. He's a pivot man. Or rather, the ball enters the post through him, and post-plays/passing are done from that deep position. I've seen the Kings play where Webber was used *just* as a rebounder, and they just don't play as well. It's like Webber is being wasted out there.

It would best for the Rockets to get a Dale Davis or Swift type PF that can accept their role as the blue color workers; one that knows his role, rebounds, blocks shots (if possible) can hit the 15-ft shot, and doesn't *need* the ball to be effective.

Webber also likes to dribble the ball and pass off those dribbles. It's not a bad thing. This month during a ten game span (IIRC), he was averaging 9 APG (that's ASSISTS!) :eek: He's a very good passer. The Kings/Sixers need that from him. But that type of PF isn't want we necessarily need.

#26 DavidS, Feb 27, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2005
  7. dharocks

From everything I've seen, Webber is still an adequate defender, a great screen-setter, a good catch and shoot player from the elbows, and still a very good defensive rebounder.

I just don't agree with the assessment that he's ineffective without the ball. My personal opinion.

8. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Don't get me wrong. If we got Webber it's not like I would be complaining.

I guess it's just that he's more a 1st or 2nd option. I think we would've worked out some things out first before he came here....like: YOU ARE NOT THE MAN anymore! ;)

Hypothetically speaking...
    The last thing we'd want is for him to complain about not getting enough touches being the 3rd and 4th options.