1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should the Rockets go ALL IN and trade for Westbrook?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Jul 6, 2019.

1. MystikArkitect

Russ with Dantoni? Yes.

Russ in an offense that implores shooting until you’re blue in the face? No.

icewill36 and hakeem94 like this.
  2. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Russ may have a 50 assist game in this system lol

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. nigma2000

nigma2000 Member

I don’t care what anyone says, if u have a chance to get Russell Westbrook. U absolutely F’n do it! This league is all about the most stars u can get on your team. You guys say it won’t work? Well u make it work and if it doesn’t u can later trade him. He has tremendous value. The guy is a former MVP in his prime. You got to at least try.

After how this offseason has gone for the Rockets, I can’t believe they have another opportunity to grab a star, if I’m Morey I'm blessing the Gods that I got another chance and I’m blowing up their phone trying everything I can to make this happen.

The only thing is does OKC want to work with Morey again after what he did to them with Harden.

bilaal14, ballsohard and mario_v like this.
  4. shlhl

shlhl Member

Let's do it for entertaiment on delusional false hope that we might be able to pull it off with him. Otherwise, another boring season ahead.

5. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Why? So we can have a point guard who’s height is between our alleged 6’1” point guard and our 6’5” one/two guard? It’s not what we need.

7. mightybosstone

There's not enough ball for Harden, Paul and Westbrook. And if they had to deal Paul to get Westbrook, the team would be taking a step back. So pretty much no matter how you look at it, Westbrook is not a solution to improving this basketball team.

8. Vivi

Vivi Member

This is a fair point but as today i'm not sure anymore, there's certianly a risk in getting Westbrook, no question about it, but in the end of the day he's 30 like James, Chris is 34, he has not been able to substain 80 games or even 50 at his best for years now, and last season he clearly declined.

This is not going to happen, but would you say yes or no if there was a real chance of swapping them with no picks added? As much as i respect CP3 and as much as i'm not a fan of Westbrook, i don't know if i would turn that down.

Ben Frank likes this.
  9. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

Westbrook is a 50 TS% guy who actually shoots 47 TS% in the postseason.

Average at-rim finisher, and doesn't even hit free throws anymore. And doesn't have a high free throw rat anymore. He's taken two huge nose dives the past two seasons as his play style is wearing on his 30 year old body.

Wanna know the worst part? He is a bad, gambling defender.

Chris Paul in a "Washed up" playoff run:

17/6/5 56 TS%, elite defense.

"superstar" Westbrook: 23/10/8 on 46 TS%. Getting lit up by the Blazers back court.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I certainly agree with your first point, and will add that why on earth would OKC want Paul’s contract? Obviously, they’ve been forced to make the tough decision to rebuild. Obvious to me, anyway. So why deal Westbrook for Chris Paul? Multiple 1st and 2nd round picks from us and some young talent? It would take a hell of a lot of first rate picks, in my opinion, and we have a limited amount of young talent. We aren’t devoid of it, but there’s not a lot sitting around. And why would we want to do that? I would need a lot of convincing, not that I’m Daryl and/or Tilman. ;-)

11. BeardNation13

BeardNation13 Member

Screw it and let's put out an all Guard line up + PJ

CP3
    Gordon
    Westbrook
    Harden
    Tucker

Rasheed likes this.
  12. mightybosstone

I just don't think Russell Westbrook plays a winning brand of basketball. If he ever just played to his strengths as an elite penetration and creator and stopped jacking up contested 22-footers and focusing on grabbing those 10+ boards a game on defense, he'd be a damn good No. 2 on a contending team. But the guy's ego won't allow it. He's what Melo became five years before Melo became unplayable on a legit contender.

And do we really want a guy who can't hit an open 3-pointer to save his life coming to Houston to be Harden's No. 2? I just don't see how he's a fit here. Westbrook is the antithesis of the Morey player. The Rockets need guys who shoot 3s at least playing 4/5 positions on the floor at all times. He's a historically awful 3-point shooter who's best strength is that stop and pop 15-footer and who's suddenly become a horrible foul shooter overnight.

Deckard, luckyman76 and D-rock like this.
  13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Daryl & Mike's dream lineup

clos4life, Rasheed and BeardNation13 like this.
  14. mightybosstone

This. Give me banged up, aging Chris Paul 10/10 over this version of Russell Westbrook. The guy has become one of the most inefficient star players in recent memory. He's Allen Iverson minus the part where he's likable and terrifies you in big games.

15. rockets94-95

rockets94-95 Member

He’ll probably end up in Miami or San Antonio anyway.

thedreamsteam and thedude077 like this.
  16. photojoe

photojoe Member

We have no assets?

I would take Westbrook if OKC included multiple firsts

D-rock likes this.
  17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

At this point - me @icewill36 being a @jopatmc holic level troll - me ice Billy is into Russ

What say you?

18. Lando

Lando Member

19. Rasheed

Rasheed Member

[​IMG]

J.R. and BeardNation13 like this.
  20. thedreamsteam

thedreamsteam Member

Are he and Harden close friends and was there ever any indication they desire to play on the same team again? He would help improve our defense and rebounding. Also can log heavy minutes unlike Paul.

bilaal14 likes this.