1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should the Rockets be shopping their first round pick?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 1, 2004.

?

Should the Rockets be shopping their first round pick right now?

1. Yes

129 vote(s)
    61.7%
  2. No

80 vote(s)
    38.3%
  1. xiki

xiki Member

I voted 'NO' but have changed my mind. Trade it in a good deal.

TE + Howard + #1 for Brand, and The Donald keeps a good, young, and cheaper 4. Please be penurious (enough), Mr The Donald. Pipe dream.

Trade Mo to Rudy for the superflous pair of George and Rush.

2. xiki

xiki Member

Magliore is out for 3 months or so. If you were Rox or Hornets, would you trade #1 = Mo for JM? I would.

3. Bono

Bono Member

the upcoming issue of Sports Illustrated has a blurb about Jay Williams from Chicago being ready for training camp 2005. it also includes the Rockets as a team inquiring about his readiness. would you guys take a stab at him? not necessarily for #1 pick but for anything

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Jay Williams is a FA. So the Rockets could sign him outright (without giving up a pick). However everything I have heard is that Jay is going to give Chicago the first shot at his services. And I think that is the right thing to do since the Bulls basically paid Williams even though they could have voided his contract due to the motorcycle accident. Jay owes the Bulls something.

However, if the Bulls pass then I dont see any reason why the Rockets should try out Jay. Jay can shoot and is a smart player. You know he will bust his ass and do anything to get back into the league. I think it would be great to see him succeed with the Rockets the same way Eddie Griffin is succeeding with the Wolves.

5. rwienert

rwienert Member

Jay Williams might want to give Chicago the first shot at his services, but they're already more than full at the point guard spot with hinrich, gordon, and duhon. there's no room for him.

I wouldn't mind if the rockets took a look at him, but the injury was very severe. my expectations right now are very low for him.

6. swilkins

swilkins Member

The promise land. :D

7. HillBoy

HillBoy Member

Agreed. It's a real longshot that he'll ever get back to what he was and the Rockets have no more time to waste rolling the dice on players like this because of the EG debacle. I think that it's a miracle that he can even walk.

As for the no. 1 pick, they need to keep it and use it. One of the primary problems with this team is that they have been getting nothing from their drafts and it shows badly. Only Yao and Boki were actual draft picks and Boki appears to be on his way out of town. There are no good solid young up and coming players on this team that can contibute on a nightly basis. They have tried for years to piece together a team via trades & free agent pickups and so far all they have to show for it is a mismash collection of average to below average players.

8. gucci888

gucci888 Member

If it gets us a REAL PF or PG, then we need to use it. The rockets don't have any good pieces to deal so we will most likely have to throw a 1st rounder in to sweeten a deal.

9. franchise23

franchise23 Member

I would do that trade in a heartbeat. It would also give Boki some playing time (hopefully).

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Hillboy, so you have more faith in CD and company to draft people than to take stabs at Free Agents? Or is it the lesser of two evils?

11. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Member
    Supporting Member

Out of curiosity, anyone know how much input Van Gundy had in the draft while he was at New York? I wonder how much different his input would be than Rudy's was while he was here.

12. mag

mag Member

I will keep the draft pick only if we are on the lottery. Otherwise, it is well known that CD will screw another draft.

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Member

Doesn't it pain everyone that we got such a good player at the #22(?) spot several years back with Kenny Thomas, then traded him for Posey, then let him go too?

We dumped Eggie (three first rounders), after JVG already had him on the backburner because he likes to shoot 3 pointers, then we tried to deal Mo Taylor for Austin Croshere because the latter can shoot 3's which would open the floor for Apocalypse Yao?

That we spent another draft pick on a supposed Rudy Clone (white 3-point shooter; see also Mirsad Turkcan and Damn Lanky) and we're gonna dump him too?

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I wanna change my vote

Definately move the pick
    besides. . let's say we mess up and get the #1
    WHO THE HECK IS OUT THERE THAT SCREAMS . . PICK ME!!

Rocket River

15. wireonfire

wireonfire Member

Chandler may be hard to get. But guys like Loren Woods, Mikki Moore who are serviceable to defend at 4 and can knock down jumpers are very cheap, less than 1mil.

16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

That's because those two guys suck...

17. Tdogg

Tdogg Member

And that's why it might work out for us...

Just ask CD. He's all about GGRRREEAATTT deals. ;)

18. dragon167

dragon167 Member

How about Dalembert? He's in O'brien's dog house now, 0 min (DNP-CD) for last 2 games against Houston and Sixers. I think he doesnt have much offensive game but who cares since no one will have offensive game with our "system". But his rebounding and shot-blocking will help us a lot. I think Yao and Dalembert can give us good defensive front court. The question is can we afford him? How about Boki+first round pick for dalembert? Boki has no future with our "system" and I dont exactly expect our management would draft any "diamond" with a mid first round pick. Do u guys think it's a fair offer for both team?

19. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I'd just like to commend someone for mentioning players that are acquireable, rather than people constantly tossing out trades for Brand and Dalembert and such.

Realize that Dalembert has been the key piece in the trade brought up for Vince Carter...he is not getting minutes right now, but everyone knows about his upside after seeing him at the end of last year. They won't just trade him for nothing. Boki doesn't fit with them...they have Korver up-and-coming at the 3, and Iguodala right on his tail as a ridiculous defender. Boki can't really defend the 2 for very long in a game, so he'd be looking at 15 minutes at best there, if he can beat out Willie Green in the future.

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I am not sure Loren Woods would be a good fit here but Mikki Moore is interesting. He has been up and down on 10 day contracts the last year or so but seems to have found a niche on the Clippers. He is long and athletic. I am not sure why he hasn't stuck on some teams. Probably becuse he doesnt have much offense. He might be a nice fit here though in Houston with his athleticism.