1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should the rest of the league overpay players?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by BEAT LA, Jul 12, 2010.

1. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

To make it hard for Miami to fill out a 12 man roster? Overpay vets, scrubs, and guys worth less than $2 million around half a million more. For some of the vets who really want to win, keep throwing extra money at them until they change their decision.

I think if the entire league continues the trend of overpaying players during the rest of free agency, Miami will be forced to sign players out of the D league and play 2nd round picks. Don't let them sign any 3pt shooters, rebounders, or good defenders.

What do you guys think? We all know it's Miami vs. come NBA finals for the next 5 years. The best thing to do is keep this trend for another 2-3 off seasons as the big threes salaries continue to rise.

They won't have any draft picks for the next 2 years IIRC, and teams should watch who they try to spend their MLE on.

2. engr_alex

engr_alex Member

there are a lot of free agents than you can imagine.

3. DontTradeOswalt

Like Starbury :O

4. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Yeah, but how many are decent that Miami can afford? They need 3 point shooters, and rebounders that can defend to fill out the roster. With Haslem getting that offer from the Mavs, they lose one defensive rebounder.

I'm talking about cheap players like Zeke, House, Howard, and Head. They are worth less than $1 million, so if the Heat try to sign them, try to outbid them. Force them to sign scrubs like Michael Finley, and D-Leaguers and play 2nd rounders.

5. Outlier

Outlier Member

It doesn't matter if the Heat only get 2nd rounders and washed up vets. LeBron and Wade will make anybody play well. If Perkins and Big Baby can play like great role players for the Celtics, the Heat with awesome 30+ per stars can make anybody play well.

6. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Bosh
    Beasley
    LeBron
    Wade
    Chalmers

They may or may not be keeping Chalmers and Beasley. Kenny Hasbrouck is on their roster as well, he played for the Vipers.

I'm not sure, but they had 4 2nd round picks this year:
    Dexter Pittman - C
    Jarvis Varnado - PF
    Da'Sean Butler- SF
    Latavious Williams - SF

If they haven't traded any of these assets, then they currently have 10 players. With Mike Miller, eleven.

If anyone knows the status on these players, or how much cap room Miami has to work with it would be highly appreciated.

7. Malcolm

Malcolm Member

Almost all the teams have alreadied overpayed players remember Greg Ostertag and Jim McIlvaine contracts.

8. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Perkins is a top 5 center in defense, rebounds, blocks, and efficiency from the field. Davis is also a good player to have off the bench.

Don't think anyone can come in the NBA and play. The NBA will expose weak defenders, and leave players open if you can't knock down the three.

As long as the league drives up the demand for rebounders, and three point shooters the Heat will struggle to find players to put around the big three.

9. RocketMania1991

Take Beasley off that list, he's rolling with the T-Wolves.

10. Outlier

Outlier Member

You're missing the point. Did you call Perkins a top 5 center in his 1st and 2nd year in the league? Before the big 3 was formed? Big Baby would be a pretty bad player also if he was drafted to a different team. KG's mentality has made him a much better player than he is.

Kendrick and Big Baby were 2nd round picks. Did the Celtics pick them up via free agency? Just my point that teams can find good players if they have good scouting. and also the fact that great stars make great role players.

11. Shaud

Shaud Member

Teams have been overpaying all summer.

Overpaying players actually hurts teams chances against Miami.

12. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

What's half a million extra on the books for one year? Plus, you get a quality rebounder/shooter who is probably worth it. Teams that want to win a ring better follow Dallas's lead and offer more money to players taking less money to play with Miami.

Perkins, was raw. I would still say he was.

Now Davis, maybe he wouldn't be as good.

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

So somehow all the other jilted owners and their GMs would band together say, "hey let's all gang up on Miami by...wait for it...overpaying scrubs just so the heat can't get them!".

Dude what the hell have you been drinking? If I was an owner I'd slap my GM in the face and fire him on the spot for suggesting such a stupid idea. Think about it, who will you hurt if you give Shaq 15M a year and Fisher 10M a year just so Miami won't get them? Yeah, you :rolleyes: So you blow all your cap on Fisher and Tmac and Shaq, and next year they convince Jamal Crawford and Kendrick Perkins to join them. What then? Are you gonna offer them 15M to stayo on your team? What happens next year, and the year after that, and the year after that? Are you gonna sign guys to overpaid contracts for six years just so Miami can't get them?

Its not like everyone will follow this hare-brained scheme. The dummer GMs will go ahead sign the vets to these cap-breaking deal, while the smarter ones will just watch as the other teams destroy their cap. Also Miami isn't just the team to beat. Unless you hate Miami and don't mind if you go down in flames, blowing money just so the Lakers can get another championship doesn't seem like a smart move.

14. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Okay you don't get it.

The Lakers need a PG if Fisher bails right? Let's say House is taking $650,000 to play with Miami. The Lakers should offer him $800,000. They get a quality PG, and make sure the Heat struggle to find good backups.

Why are some of you guys so black and white?

15. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I don't get it. The Heat can offer the minimum to any player, so it's not like other teams that are over the cap can offer more money unless they want to use part of the MLE. And they probably want to spend that on players who are better fits anyway.

And besides, if a player is going to Miami to sign for the minimum, odds are they WANT to play there, and aren't going to sign somewhere else just because they offered a couple hundred thousand dollars more.

16. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

EDIT: Double post

17. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

This is true, so if the Heat want to offer a guy like Eddie house the full minimum ($1 million for 10+ years of service in the NBA), the Lakers can turn around and offer him $1.2 million.

All I'm saying is the Heat may try to sign players cheap telling them they will win a ring this year. If good NBA teams offer them more money, or at least a little more than their market value it would be like killing two birds with one stone (I hate that I just said that)...but yeah you get the point.

18. meh

meh Contributing Member

NBA teams don't just play against Miami, but each other. In the end, no team will sacrifice its own well-being for the sake of weakening one other team... Unless MAYBE if we're talking about Boston or Orlando or another team who has a great deal invested in Miami being weaker.

19. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

I guess you don't realize the potential of having the best player (Wade), second best player (LeBron), and eighth best player (Bosh) on the same team.

Kobe is declining, and Wade will be the go to guy in the 4th. As a matter of fact, out of every player in the league, I want the ball in D-Wade's hands in the 4th........then there is LeBron, and Bosh to tip it in.

This team is gonna win it this year if teams don't sabotage them.

20. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

If I heard the NBA were interested in Juwan Howard and I'm the Blazers, I would offer him more money to stay.

If I am Les Alexander and I heard the Heat offered Zeke $1 million, I would offer him $1.5 million. He probably doesn't want to play a lot of minutes at his age.

You guys act like overpaying a little to keep the elite from getting better is dumb. The NBA is a business, and winning a championship brings in a lot of revenue.

Come playoff time, the Heat don't have another seven footer to foul Yao.