1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should the NBA change it's officiating procedures?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mattrbowers, Jun 30, 2010.

1. mattrbowers

mattrbowers Member

I had this idea a while back, and with all of the officiating nightmares in the World Cup I got to thinking about it again. I'm curious what people think about it.

Seems like nowadays network television cameras pretty much catch 99.9% of what happens on the court. It doesn't take us at home spectators long to clearly see exactly what really happened on a particular play; especially compared to how long it takes a ref to go over and review that play. So, why not use that technology to make the game run smoother and faster?

IDEA: There is only one ref on court, with a headset (similar to what the World Cup refs wear) that communicates with a 'reviewer'. As soon as a call needs to be made, the 'reviewer' (who would need to have immediate access to game footage, as do the networks) tells the ref the call. If need be, the 'reviewer' would be able to view a couple of replays at various angles to see what actually happened. It would only take a couple of seconds.

When a ref goes to review a play now, it's a big ordeal, and takes a long time. But if there is someone set up in a control room who's job it is to review every play that may be controversial, they would learn to do it quickly before long. It would also curb some of the complaining that goes on over calls ... no reason to complain when you know the 'reviewer' has already taken the time to double and triple check what happened.

Yes, or no?

2. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

you mean exactly what the NHL does? It's still an ordeal.. no faster really (for the most part). But I do like it

3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Hell yes. Refs are crooks.

It's like Bill Maher said (paraphrasing): "Technology is destroying the age-old institution of lying."

4. dropshot001

dropshot001 Member

it would be good for critical calls, like late in the game or if it is going to foul someone out and the call could be controversial, but for each foul, i don't think it is necessary

5. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

NBA has far bigger concerns with officiating than replay. Far bigger. That's a good suggestion for FIFA, though.

6. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

That all depends if the reviewer isn't rigging the games as well...

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

Could work.

The bigger problem is to get the NBA to actually care to change the officiating. I'm sure they could come up with an even better solution to the OP's, but they don't WANT to change.

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah, if the NBA really cared about improving officiating, they'd have done something long ago. But they are more interested in PROTECTING the image of their referees.

One of the most obvious ways to improve is post-game reviews. That could do at least two things:

1. Punish flopping that was missed by in-game officiating.

2. Punish consistently bad referees. They should have some sort of a point system to eliminate (or at least suspend) bad refs. Increase pays to attract competent new refs to compete for the jobs.

9. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I hate video reviews.

10. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Im good with the replay in the NBA, I dont mind the refs taking time to see the instant replay, and its ok that only in the last 2 min of the game.

11. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Then whose to stop David Stern from being mic'd into every official's ear and threaten to fire them if Kobe does not draw the foul?

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

Maybe have another rule that has Stern tied to a chair during NBA games :grin:

There is no winning with the NBA. The fans always lose. Stern is too smart and will always find some kinda loophole to have his way.