1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Shai vs. Luka as the Mavericks try to even the series in OKC. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Should the NBA allow defense again?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by francis 4 prez, Aug 23, 2020.

1. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i've been thinking this the last 2 years, but watching basketball today, we had luka put up a 43/17/13 game. immediately followed by the toronto raptors scoring 150 in a regulation game. immediately followed by 2 fringe all-stars dropping 50/11/7 and 50/7/4 in the same regulation playoff game. in a season where the best defense in the league allowed 106.5 points. in a bubble where a guy went something like 51 and 61 in back to back games.

no one wants to go back to 81-76 games, but is there a way to make 100 a normal score again? handchecking was always an overstated tactic, but more physicality on the perimeter? maybe LESS contact on the inside so people might actually want to post someone up again and at least slow things down. is there any going back at this point in the 3-point revolution? eliminating the corner 3 would work but also seems gimmicky and just looks weird.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Oh man, looks like we had almost the same idea for a thread at the same time. :)

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. Jontro

Jontro Member

me too, i had the same idea for a thread. but in the opposite direction, i want 200 pts a game

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. Reeko

Reeko Member

the lack of defense in some of these games don’t even make them feel like playoff games...they feel like exhibitions

a lot of this is the bubble environment tho...I’m definitely willing to bet that in a normal, regular playoff environment, there is no way in hell we would’ve seen a 50 point game from the likes of Mitchell or Murray

only in this bubble environment would we see somebody like Warren play like a bonafide All-Star

hakeem94 and RayRay10 like this.
  5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Yes or push the three point line back a foot and eliminate the corner three.

RayRay10 likes this.
  6. TimDuncanDonaut

With modern nba favoring offense, and faster pace. The expectations has to change as well; even a #2 or #3 option should not be scoring in the single digits or the low teens if they have X minimum number of shots and FT attempts.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I would even go further and allow 4 point play near the logo.

For all your Dame Dollars..... Kashing

#7 daywalker02, Aug 24, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    hakeem94, RayRay10 and Jontro like this.
  8. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Yes. I really miss the 90's yes they were low scoring games. But I loved the matchups of the big men.

RayRay10 and daywalker02 like this.
  9. Juxtaposed Jolt

I found Joel Embiid's CF account, everyone!

Jokes aside, how do you have less contact on the inside when you're literally posting someone up and backing them down? That puts the post defender at a complete disadvantage. On the perimeter, you pretty much have to master the art of "no touching" while trying to bother the shooter as much as legally possible. In the post, you're banging and grinding.

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Go back and actually watch some of them, there's actually a bunch on Amazon prime. It's actually pretty hard to watch now once you've been conditioned to watch the modern game, there's just so much bad shooting. Lots of guys taking open shots, and missing repeatedly.

hakeem94 and RayRay10 like this.
  11. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

They allow it versus the rockets .

12. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

13. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I much prefer 90's style basketball.

14. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I know. It wasn't perfect. People always remember things to fondly.

However, I do not like all the there pointers. I love the rockets and will be a fan untill I die. But I do not like our style. Altough I understand that it is the smart wat to play.

15. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Players are too skilled. It's like the offensive talent of the league is at 90 and the defensive talent is at about a 65.