1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should the Knicks trade Carmelo Anthony?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by HayesIsBack, Dec 2, 2015.

1. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

Carmelo and Porzingis's peak will not overlap.

Carmelo will continue to lose trade value the more he ages, but could probably still net a couple of first rounders if traded now.

I think the Knicks should trade Anthony for picks, tank, and build around Porzingis.

2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I'm sure they'd like to, but nobody's going to take on that contract for 5 more years.

3. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

4. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

Lowe suggests

Melo and Calderon

for

Lawson, Bev, Tjones, and Ariza.

Do you do it?

5. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

we'd have the worst perimeter defense in the league and be thin at pg (not like we get much production from there currently anyways). it'd be a desperation move, so i'd do it if we keep struggling, but we'd need to hire thibs to make up on the defensive end.

6. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

yeah desperation move, but i'd like to point out, we already have the worst perimeter defense in the league.

You would likely be playing Melo at the 4 most of the time on our team anyway, he's not actually a bad defender there.

7. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

But you realize that only leaves us with one rotation player to start at the 3...Brewer! :eek: For that reason alone I would say no

8. hhh345

hhh345 Member

He would actually be a good fit with the Atlanta Hawks. If they can build a trade package around Dennis Schroeder, the Knicks can build around porzingis and Schroeder and it will give the hawks a go to scorer in Carmelo. Their lineup would be

PG Teague
    Sg Korver
    Sf Carmelo
    pf Millsap
    c Horford

9. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

Money probably doesn't match up without moving either Harford or Millsap.

10. hhh345

hhh345 Member

They can package Schroeder with Splitter who has about a 10,000,000 salary and add someone like Sefolosha to try and make the salaries work.

11. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Keep ariza and throw in kj

12. gunawanspurs

gunawanspurs Member

Fair suggestion, i think Atlanta can work something like this for a package: Schroeder, Splitter, Bezemore for Anthony & filler (if needed).

But that would take such a huge leap of faith on coach Budenholzer, since he is from Popovich coaching tree that values character, team work, and chemistry first & foremost. Fitting such a primadonna like Melo would really be a tall task but perhaps worth the risk, to really have a chance against Cleveland Lebrons in the ECF.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

They should never have resigned him. Never made sense. I'd check to see if Miami would bite. Seems like something Riley would do.

14. dragician

dragician Member

we can trade our first pick.. i'm sure it's very attractive now that we are sucking.

15. ibm

ibm Member

say no to drugs, kids.

16. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Hmmm if I were the Knicks I'd ask for young guys like Capela, Dmo, and KJ to build around porzingis.

If you were the Rockets you could roll the dice and offer say Bev, KJ, Jones, and Brewer and a non protected first. That way you get to keep Dmo, Capela and Lawson but the Knicks get a lotto ticket pick in case the Rockets continue to suck. Yeah the salaries may not work but I'm sure Morey could figure out something.

Lawson/Terry
    Harden/Thornton
    Ariza
    Carmelo/Dmo
    Howard/Capela

If that lineup can't make the playoffs than that's just insane.

17. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Trade him to the Lakers.

18. roslolian

roslolian Member

Guys like Ariza and Bev aren't sexy names but they contribute a lot to winning and get paid chump change to do it. ME-lo is one of the worst guys when it comes to dollars per win, he compiles a lot of pts but isn't efficient, and unlike other inefficient guys like WB he doesn't play defense and can't make plays for other players. He is also a drama w****, every other season he gets in some sort of controversy that proves to be a distraction whether that's appearing in a don't snitch video, sucker punching someone then running away, playing dead on the court or getting thrown under the bus by his ex coach and teammates for being too selfish.

But really the most damning of all is he's no longer prime time tv, dude has clearly lost a step and is on the decline. He's a ****ing time bomb waiting to explode and considering he signed a mega max deal it's not gonna be pretty when he plays like old man Kobe while making as much as Kevin Durant or Lebron. I would be really surprised if the Rox gets him.

19. joeson332

joeson332 Member

LOL>

no =/

20. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

Carmelo Anthony is a superstar, but if he's your superstar you're going to lose and that's all there is to it. He'll never be any good until he's not good enough to start any more, then he'll be great. Until then all his gaudy numbers are at the expense of his teammates and all the losing is automatically on them.

What is this masochistic mentality that makes people want to trade away their team for point guards like Deron Williams, power forwards like Carmelo Anthony, small forwards like Rudy Gay, 2-guards like Joe Johnson, and well, I can't think of a center that fits the mold. Yeah, they're great athletes but they play losing basketball. They'll never contribute to a team because they think their greatness transcends the team. They think that every win is because of their heroic brilliance and every loss is because of the lesser lights they have to play alongside. Any GM that would trade for a player like this with the idea of featuring him is totally witless. Well, that's not true. They're good players for bad basketball teams. Stars bring in money and individually they're fine. But put them on your team and you don't have a team.